Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock turbo 26PSI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008 | 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Well I know I won't need head studs. I drive my car at 14.7 ie 1 bar all the time cause gas is not cheap anymore. When am I going to really turn the boost high well when I'm at the track or when some kid wants to run the kid for $ other then that I will be fine. Even at 1 bar I don't even spool the engine more then 10psi anyway. It's really up to the owner. You don't have to run the studs but I do have a buddy who did have stretch the stock studs. The only problem he had was the engine would overheat. Look at it this way head studs cost about $100 shipped from some vendors and I know the shops in the NYC tri-state area all charge about 100 to do them so if $200 is too steep for your peace of mind then maybe you should trade in your evo and get a hybrid civic.
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

why dont we run 50 psi on the stock turbo and no headstuds and call it a day
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBallz
Well I know I won't need head studs. I drive my car at 14.7 ie 1 bar all the time cause gas is not cheap anymore. When am I going to really turn the boost high well when I'm at the track or when some kid wants to run the kid for $ other then that I will be fine. Even at 1 bar I don't even spool the engine more then 10psi anyway. It's really up to the owner. You don't have to run the studs but I do have a buddy who did have stretch the stock studs. The only problem he had was the engine would overheat. Look at it this way head studs cost about $100 shipped from some vendors and I know the shops in the NYC tri-state area all charge about 100 to do them so if $200 is too steep for your peace of mind then maybe you should trade in your evo and get a hybrid civic.
Changing bolts for aftermarket studs is insurance? I don't think so. People say it a lot, but without really thinking much..
When your buddy stretched the bolts on his car - he was detonating like crazy, would be my guess. So insurance would be a better tuner.

Here's another piece of thought - what would happen if he had ARP studs that can withhold higher pressure? My guess is one of his rod bolts would fail and he would detonate a rod through the block. So instead of changing a blown gasket he would have to buy a WHOLE new block. What do you think of that? Is that what you call insurance???
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

i agree i run ARP head studs as extra insurance as well 100 bucks is nothing compared to blowing a head gasket. and you talkin about throwing a rod because you have head studs you need to take a class on automotive theory lol when you are running high boost and running hp numbers that evos do it is a constant possibility that you will blow up your motor and that FACT needs to be excepted. we dont have cheap cars gents so stop being cheap. if you feel you dont need head studs fine thats your desision its been proven that head lift is a real possibility as proven by other cars ie 3000gt VR-4's which i have a lot of experience with. funny thing is arp studs are weaker than stock on those cars lol but thats besides the point. head studs are insurance whether you like it or not. who ever says you dont need better than stock injectors for high boost on stock turbo whether wrong or right i'll let you decided further proves my point on how the stock turbo ceases to be efficient over 23ish pounds of boost since if it were flowing more air you would need more fuel to compensate. any experienced tuner can guestimate the power range of a car based only on its fuel injectors. i would love to see a video of an evo doing 30+psi on STOCK turbo and making those numbers they claim. i am in CA and run 91 **** fuel which is y i run extensive amounts of meth even if i did decide to run boost like all of you i would only put me around 25psi or so. i wish we had 93 at the pump
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracr
^ do u kno anything about turbos? i mean anything at all? if you did you would kno a small compressor like a 16 which we have stock is efficient between 16-20ish psi.
who ever says you dont need better than stock injectors for high boost on stock turbo whether wrong or right i'll let you decided further proves my point on how the stock turbo ceases to be efficient over 23ish pounds of boost since if it were flowing more air you would need more fuel to compensate. any experienced tuner can guestimate the power range of a car based only on its fuel injectors.

Old Feb 6, 2008 | 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
further proves my point on how the stock turbo ceases to be efficient over 23ish pounds of boost since if it were flowing more air you would need more fuel to compensate. any experienced tuner can guestimate the power range of a car based only on its fuel injectors.
Did you completely dismiss my earlier post that proved that the stock turbo flows more air with more than 21psi???

Here it is again in case it didn't sink in last time:

Originally Posted by razorlab
I guarantee you will get more airflow through the midrange with more boost there.

This, in effect, should be the "stop talking now, you know not what you speak of" chart because it totally and utterly proves your "No more airflow with more boost" statement wrong, right here, clear as orange and black pixels...

Last edited by razorlab; Feb 6, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Stock injectors are sufficient for anything the stock turbo can put out.
I agree. I have done the math several times in several threads before. If you don't like math, plenty of people have logs to prove it as well.

Originally Posted by RevMoto
You could have gotten 2 hookers with that money and they will do a better job on your head than the studs.
That was some funny ****. I just had to quote that and laugh.

Originally Posted by razorlab
This, in effect, should be the "stop talking now, you know not what you speak of" chart because it totally and utterly proves your "No more airflow with more boost" statement wrong, right here, clear as orange and black pixels...

That's some funny ****, too, Bryan.

If you haven't noticed, I have been through some 'arguments' like this recently, too. That's what we get or venturing outside the ECUFlash forum. But, it is funny to see how much misinformation and misunderstanding is going on.

Like, 'I hold 26 psi to redline on a stock turbo' or the one guy that holds 28psi on stock turbo. Yeah, if your redline was change to 4500 RPM, I have to problem believing that. This really shows you how many people actually log their boost and log other parameters and know how to read compressor maps, etc. It is funny reading some of the comments, though.

Eric
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 01:58 PM

heh do you guys remember wat this thread was about lol?

so we know headstuds is insurance... so how about that meth? haha
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Tune + Head Studs is the best approach, fyi. . . And I think pushing a spike of 25-26psi on the stock turbo with a taper is copacetic. . .
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
is copacetic. . .
whats that mean.... i havnt been in school for a year ha.. my vocabulary has shrunkin
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

This thread is getting retarded. People who think you cant run more than 23 psi on the stock turbo and dont think it can be efficient, are misinformed.
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tmaxxman21
whats that mean.... i havnt been in school for a year ha.. my vocabulary has shrunkin
I hope it wasn't college and you major wasn't english. Anyway www.m-w.com is your friend.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/copacetic

Old Feb 6, 2008 | 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
This thread is getting retarded. People who think you cant run more than 23 psi on the stock turbo and dont think it can be efficient, are misinformed.
The unfortunate thing is, they don't listen... Just like they didn't listen to their English teacher. Oh well, in the end it's their loss.
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

^true,
Old Feb 6, 2008 | 08:37 PM

your good to go

Quick Reply: stock turbo 26PSI