Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

INTAKE/EXHAUST stock vs. custom; PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INTAKE/EXHAUST stock vs. custom; PLEASE HELP

I recently bought a 2006 MR SE. I dont know much about Evos except that they look awesome and offer insane performance. In fact I had no idea what I'm buying, and I'm not even sure if I want to keep this great car (I'm probably not the perfect guy for this car).
Meaniwhile, I have some questions. My car has some upgrades, which I dont know much about, but I know I have green cone filter with intake pipe, BOV, and full turbo-back 3" exhaust, w/o cat, but with a titanium muffler.
As i posted here before, the exhaust is very very loud, but so is the intake, with the sucking noise coming from the intake filter, and the BOV which is overactive, blowingoff every 2 seconds, non stop.
Most people are telling me not to go back to stock parts because I will feel a significant difference in power loss, but what if I only go back to stock air box and stock BOV, but leave my 3" exhaust without the cat. I shouldnt lose any power, but there will be some difference in noise, right ??
thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Gah you don't like the whoosh of an intake and bov? You're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy.

Yes, you'd lose those noises, but your exhaust note wouldn't change noticeably.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

dont get me wrong, I love the sound of the BOV, but not when its doing it every damn second. I cant go past 1500rpm without it... so I want to go back to the stock BOV, which I'm sure only goes "whoosh" at like 5000 rpm.
Of course the bigger problem is the lack of a catalytic, and a full 3" turbo-back pipe... At like 3000rpm andbeyond, I cant even hear the radio playing.... But at least I'm getting like 20-30 extra Hp... or so the guys here on the forum say....
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

you will go only slightly richer once you get the intake back. yes your car will quiet down slightly but with a titanium exhaust, you will most likely not even notice.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

I would definitely put the stock airbox and diverter valve back on. You won't sound like a ricer anymore. You could also get a more quiet exhaust but a turbo back setup is a must have.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what type of exhaust do you have? any pictures?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

when you say just get a quieter "exhaust", you mean just get a different muffler (but still leave the 3" pipe, and still leave the cat off) ?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by S6devil
when you say just get a quieter "exhaust", you mean just get a different muffler (but still leave the 3" pipe, and still leave the cat off) ?
Well the turbo back means, downpipe, cat (or testpipe), and catback.

It's likely the catback along with the muffler making the most noise. So you would look for a new catback (after the test pipe).
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
You're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy.
Frank the Tank!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

You need to read! There are countless topics on this forum containing the information you are searching for.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Again, I'm not sure because its all new to me... But i was told that its a 3" offroad exhaust, with a Titanium muffler. sorry no pictures for now

Originally Posted by tien
what type of exhaust do you have? any pictures?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
just put the whole car back to stock and you will have a really quiet car. the muffler will probably have a name on the side of it and that will tell you what exhaust it is
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

to be more specific, downpipe, testpipe (no cat), and titanium muffler (huge, hangs sideways at an angle)
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:05 PM

?

First of all what i suggest what you do is find out what YOU like.....do your homework and find a brand YOU LIKE......read UP ON IT AND YOUR VEHICLE. My evo was purchased used and came with hks components...which i am very happy WITH!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What type of BOV is installed? is it vented to atmosphere? Or does it connect from your intake to your intercooler pipe? If it is vented to atmosphere, if you put on the stock one it will quiet down some.

Quick Reply: INTAKE/EXHAUST stock vs. custom; PLEASE HELP