Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anti-seize on spark plug threads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anti-seize on spark plug threads

I searched but didn't find any answers. None of the How Tos mention it either. Should we and or is it ok to use Anti-seize when changing the plugs? Also, is it ok to do them on a warm motor? Motor temp doesn't play a factor when tightening them does it?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i use it every time
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

I always use anti seize since race gas tends to corrode the plug if you dont change them often..
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use it, and do the plugs cold. Heat expansion causes striped threads, broken plugs, and improper torque readings.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The service manual says nothing about using anti seize. Anti seize will act as a thread lubricant. Spark plug threads are easily stripped as it is. So, if using, be careful.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:44 PM

From a mechanics stand point, use it. IT CAN SAVE A LOT OF TIME. Spark plugs use a crush washer on most that keep them set.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

I would NOT use Anti-seize on the plugs. The plugs ground to the head for the spark, we all know how good a good ground is, Anti-seize may stop you from getting the best possible spark... think about it
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vwjeff
I would NOT use Anti-seize on the plugs. The plugs ground to the head for the spark, we all know how good a good ground is, Anti-seize may stop you from getting the best possible spark... think about it
yea ummm no
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
Are you serious? Do you not know what anti-seize is made of?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

the plugs lose play enough, I havent run into a problem with an evo of a plug corroding enough to the point where u have trouble getting them out.

I wouldnt recommend putting antisieze on spark plugs. As said before the AS acts as a lubricant and can cause further thread wear on a bungs threads. AS is usually used were a tool is applied to prevent it getting stuck but if its a consistently changed part especially the plugs where pressure takes place in many forms i just wouldnt
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i used it no problems here
Evolved Member

I personally don't use them.
Never had a problem.
They just get messy when they have anti-seize on them.

You'll have a greater chance of stipping the threads when installing them but not taking them out. Always start them by hand.

You could use it and have no problems though.
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have put anti-seize on my spark plugs every time i put a new set in and did the same thing on my GSX for 4 years and i'm going to continue to do it.
Former Sponsor

I have had trouble getting plugs out on more than 1 occasion when i forgot to put anti seize.. Its been proven to work time and time again. You dont need alot of it either..
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ThewondererEVO
the plugs lose play enough, I havent run into a problem with an evo of a plug corroding enough to the point where u have trouble getting them out.

I wouldnt recommend putting antisieze on spark plugs. As said before the AS acts as a lubricant and can cause further thread wear on a bungs threads. AS is usually used were a tool is applied to prevent it getting stuck but if its a consistently changed part especially the plugs where pressure takes place in many forms i just wouldnt
Anti-seize, being a lubricant as you correctly mentioned, will PREVENT threads from wearing and / or galling.

And if your plugs are loosening, it's because you don't use anti-seize and when you torque the plugs down, there's so much friction that you never actually properly seat the plugs.

So, in summary, use anti-seize on your plugs. You only need a tiny little bit, like a grain of rice sized amount.

Quick Reply: Anti-seize on spark plug threads