Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spring/Retainer Install HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring/Retainer Install HELP!!

Ok, well I tried to install my springs tonight, got 1&4 cylinder springs and retainers off, but the tool we got at NAPA wouldnt work. Well, I was reading the HOW-Tos, the tool I saw that was recommended by some shops was this one: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog so my question is, will it work to install the BC Springs and Retainers because they seem stiff as hell! If it will work would be great because I get a discount through school, but I need to know before I buy its possible to get enough weight behind it to compress those springs? Thanks!

Last edited by Celica2EVO; Feb 5, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Bump, found out HOW it works, but need to know IF IT WILL work. Can you get enough strength behind it to force BC Springs and retainers down<
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've used/have the Snap-on tool and it works. I did the rope trick where you feed in about 10 or so feet of rope through the spark plug hole and then turn the piston up against the rope. The retainers stick pretty good - maybe you alread know this and then come loose with sort of a snap. So, using a tool that you strike - I dunno if that would work. Plus, you had better have something under there to stop the valve. I assume you are working with head on block.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

well the pistons on 1&4 are TDC and didnt move at all when we took the springs and retainers off. We got them off with a 13mm deepwell with a socket magnet inside of it. They came off fairly easy. We bought a spring compressor at Napa and there is no way in hell it would fit. I get 55% off with snap-on through scool so I was looking at that one and the lever type. But if this one will work its 1/4 of the price! So to put it back on, you just load the keeper inside the retainer and shove it over the valve till you feel it click on? Have you done it with aftermarket springs and retainers because the BCs are alot stiffer than the stock ones?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're suppose to use a spring compressor in conjunction with that tool...

EDIT: nevermind.... however I found these tools making their own tools... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtNMRWDsvbw
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhhhh...... they scare me
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Did you read the HOW to thoroughly on here?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:36 PM

To get the keepers off just use a socket and Push down on the spring real hard they will come out, you just need to make sure they don't spring up in your face.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

The work I did was on a DSM with stock springs. To load the keepers I magnetized a small screwdriver by running it over a magnet a few times, just enough to suspend the keepers so I could drop them in place one at a time while all the time holding the spring compressed with the lever tool. It was great arm exercise as it was.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

no, it says that you can do the remove and install with this tool, Im just trying to make sure that I can do the BC springs with this (or any aftermarket ones). That guy is a ***, he says in the eplanation for stupid people who cant do it, I dont think I would let him touch my car with that thing! And the tool I need is for doing it in the car, Im not pulling my head!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Liqquid
I think you're suppose to use a spring compressor in conjunction with that tool...

EDIT: nevermind.... however I found these tools making their own tools... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtNMRWDsvbw
Thats the most common tool to use. I have that exact one but i purchased the tool attachment that was specific to the Mitsu head. Works great but the one i have the cylinder head has to be removed for it to work.

You shouldn't have any problems with the BC springs and retainers. Now im having a hell of a time with the Supertech 120lb springs

Chris

EDIT: It looked like that guy in the video actually was using the tool upside down. The adjustment part of the clamp is supposed to be what goes against the valve face. Here is a picture of the one i use. They have new ones you can get now that connect to a drill to compress the spring. Its really easy once you have the right tools!
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2k4EvoVIII; Feb 5, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, I've read that if the piston is all the way up you can't loose a valve. However, I wasn't brave enough to test the truthfulness of this.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I read the HOW TO, I also saw where a few of the people recommended this snap on tool! I know what the lever tools are, however they are $140! This tool I can get for $20 with my discount through Snap On! I just need to know if it will work with aftermarket springs and retainers! I am going to school for High Performance, I know how to do this stuff, im just trying to see if this tool with work for what I need it for! I dont want to F anything up with makeing a ****ty tool to use! If I have to buy the Lever Compressor I will, but for $100 less, I would much rather use this if it will work!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

If the piston is up, there is NO way that you can. There is maybe a 1/4 of an inch between the valve and the piston!