Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Apexi AVC-R boost and setup problems please help.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
bump for above post
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my AVC-R when I was still on the stock turbo. I played around with it a lot and did plenty of reading about how to set it up. Ultimately I never totally figured it all out and was never happy with how it controlled boost on my car versus my old Greddy Profec-B. That said, there might have been some other problem at the time. Since then I'm on a 35R and a 2.4 new motor now.

Once on the 35R, I now turn everything OFF. Feedback and Learn all OFF. The ONLY thing I adjust is the duty cycle %. This works very well for me and I have a very flat boost curve. Controlling boost on a larger turbo with a proper wastegate spring setup seems to be much easier than stock turbo stuff.

That said, if I get the time I will try to go through and set it up again and see if I can gain anything in spool or perhaps run lower boost in lower gears (too much wheelspin).

The BEST resource I found for the AVC-R after a lot of research was here:

http://www.dentistmapped.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54

You have to be a member though. Very easy to signup.

I have to hear anyone actually be able to explain exactly what all the settings do and how the system works though.

Good luck.

EvoDan check your PM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

crcain

i got your pm's. awesome bro thanks. im also on a 35r but twin scroll. i have 2 waste gates ''tial 44mm'' and both have 22psi spring rates. my boost does seem to be very very stable compared to my forge mbc. i really want to learn this unit well but i want to learn from experienced users as they have a better understanding from scratch. i almost got the greddy profec b. sounds like another great ebc
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know if it works like the greddy profec b-spec 2 but i was over boosting on it and i had to turn the gain% down on it to prevent boost spike. it could also be start boost.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20Grockit
i dont know if it works like the greddy profec b-spec 2 but i was over boosting on it and i had to turn the gain% down on it to prevent boost spike. it could also be start boost.
Entirely different than the 2 or 3 knobs on a Greddy Profec-B.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
so let me get this right. if i want to adjust duty% to get faster spool i go to the duty and boost settings and click next on the duty. it brings me to a rpm setting. i can increase the duty per every 500rpm i be leave.

so how would i do this. lets say i want to run 25psi. lets say im hitting full boost at 4500rpm. so would my settings look like this

70%duty@3000
70%duty@3500
70%duty@4000
70%duty@4500
25%duty@5000 and on

right now my settings are boost 1.75kg/cm2 and my duty is at 25%

any help to understand this would be great.

so is this right?? or at least right in a way to begin??
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

but for info on above post
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

On the screen next over from duty/cycle and target boost, you see a graph showing duty cycle for given rpm points. Once you run the AVCR in learn mode for a while it will set this graph up. The point of this graph I believe is to compensate for a car which needs more or less duty cycle on the solenoid across the RPM band to achieve a target boost.

So no what you are asking about is not something you would use to help spool up. The only thing for that is one of the settings like start duty or something like that which is supposed to help in earlier gears I think.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain

The BEST resource I found for the AVC-R after a lot of research was here:

http://www.dentistmapped.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54

You have to be a member though. Very easy to signup.

I have to hear anyone actually be able to explain exactly what all the settings do and how the system works though.

Good luck.

EvoDan check your PM.
Here is the quote from that site. It is a very good write-up IMO.

Originally Posted by Sam
Setting up an apexi avcr boost controller.

I get a lot of people asking how to set up the apexi avcr boost controller, some even think it is quite difficult to set up and in extreme cases, some may think it is not as good as other out there on the market. I personally think it is a great piece of kit. Although it has been around for some years now, it has not really undergone any major changes apart from a different colour scheme recently.

Here is goes, this is from memory so bear with me.

First you will go to

ETC

Car Select- Cylinder, Vehicle Speed Pulse, Throttle Type setting
Set these to 4 4 arrow up don’t ask why just do it It is the same for an evo or a scoop the same.

Sensor Sel - Pressure Sensor Type setting
Use 1

Gear Judge - Gear Judge setting
In order for the AVCR to determine gearing, the Gear Judge feature must be set.
Choose the gear you want to set, on the right side you'll see the ratio (RPM/Speed) which the AVCR uses to determine which gear its in.
- Choose which gear you want to see using the Up/Down keys. Press the Next key to choose that gear
- Drive the car in that gear at a moderate speed 3000revs is more than enough for each gear. Press Next to set that gear
- Press the Left key to return to gear selection and repeat for the other gears in your car speed.

Grph Scale - Graph Scale setting
Bs: Boost range.
Ne: Maximum RPM of your car
Sp: Maximum speed of your car

Sensor chk - Input Signal check display

VFD Bright - Display Brightness

Initialise - Initialise all data to default, don’t press this one unless you really want to wipe everything you have ever done. !!!!!!!!!!

setting up the boost

now this part is done, the avcr is set up correctly, it will be able to determine which gear it is in and have boost in closed loop mode ( feedback.)
Now the important bit of setting up the boost you desire to run. You need to take a methodical approach to this so we are not throwing some numbers and hoping for the best. I am not saying that this approach does not work, but it can be rather inconsistence.

This is the menus that you have

Boost/Duty - Setting Boost and Duty cycle levels
Scramble - Scramble Boost Setting not really used
NE-Point - Engine RPM Specific Boost Control . NE Points are used to specify the RPM points at which boost and duty cycle can be adjusted in Boost/Duty above. 8 NE points are available in the range of 1500rpm - 9500rpm in increments of 500rpm
make sure you can control boost all the way to 8000revs
F/B Speed - Feedback Speed Setting
Learn Gear - Gear Based Learning
Start Duty - Initial solenoid valve duty cycle for boost control in gear based correction

First thing to do is to switch off

Learn gear
F/B SPEED

This will mean you are not running closed loop mode ie the controller is not going to try to adjust things for you. You are on your own!! But that is a good thing

You want to make it easy for the controller by actually putting the right figures in there in the first place.

Now with duty cycle alone use 4th gear to set the duty cycle to give you which ever boost you want. So lets say you managed to get 1.5bar at 60% duty in 4th gear and the boost is nice and stable. At this point you don’t want to programme a lot of boost spikes or anything of that sort you just want the right duty cycle to give you the correct boost in 4th. You may find that you will need to adjust the boost with rpm you will need to add more duty at higher rpm depending on what actuator you are running. With the standard actuator you may get a duty cycle of 60% till 5000revs but going up to 80% at 7000revs to keep the desired boost held.

Doing it this way you know have got the right duty cycle in 4th gear which means you avcr will need to do very little work to achieve you desired boost.

Next step will be to turn the f/b speed on, you want to figure out how much F/B SPEED you can add. You want the highest number that will not cause fluctuations. The rule of thump is you will need more f/bspeed in the lower gear than the higher gears. So if you use 2 in 4th use 1 more in 3rd and 2 more in 2nd and so on.

Test the car in all gears and make sure that you are getting a stable boost in all gears. If the boost fluctuate in any gear just drop the f/b speed by 1 till it is stable. You may find that you are not going to hit the same boost in all gears. You will get less boost in lower gears than higher gears. This is where the start duty comes into play

If you are experiencing less boost lets say in 1st gear than 4th then add 5-10% in first gear till you get near your target, do the same thing with 2nd and 3rd you will find that you will probably need less % the higher the gear to get the same boost. You may even use a negative 1-2% to maintain this same boost in 5th gear. something like 15-10-5-0-(-2) is probably correct for a 5 speed box running standard actuator

So now in theory you should have solid boost in all gears, what you now need to do is switch the learn gear in 4th and 5th on. Don’t bother with the lower gears as you go through them so quick if the avcr adjust the duty in let say 2 gear the duty will be too high for 5th .

The only reason you are switching the learn gear on is to keep the boost stable in the higher gears in different conditions.

this is how i would do it, different people will do this differently but i guarntee if you follow this method you will get consistant results.

i hope this helps

sam
The following users liked this post:
Boostin’ Druid (Aug 24, 2018)
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

subscribing
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

The AVC-R takes quite a bit of tuning to get right, but once you REALLY figure out how to use it, it is badass.

I just sold mine, (along with other parts) to pay for my CC bills....
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Great info finally found it. I love this site.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:06 PM

Thank you so much for the info! I actually have a general understanding now on how to use my avc-r.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:58 PM

Some good advice especially for an ametuer like me, still confising though