Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Good Stand Alone Engine Management?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Stand Alone Engine Management?

What are some o the better stand alone units? Not a Piggy Back..?

1.Efficiency

2. ease of use

3. Prices

HKS F-Con...? more please....

(dunno why I used this Smiley, never seen anyone use it...felt bad for him...)

-Shahul
Old Jul 27, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Motec, GEMS...only two off the top of my head. Can only name drop, sorry.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

I am just a name dropper as well.

Motec is what the WRC rally racers use. Not sure if the same goes for GEMS. An interesting WRC rule forces the Motec unit to be the same size and use the same plug as the mitsu factory unit.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

check import tuner or superstreet they just did a writeup on all the top brands like motec ,tec 3,aem,fj,holley etc.. last month.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GEMS, Autronic, Pectal and Motec are all used in WRC cars. The Group N rules state that the ECU must fit in the stock ECU box. WRC cars do not have that restriction.
The Autronic and GEMS are similar and work well on the street. The Motec will be more expensive to set up since in needs specific sensors to work. Idle steppers/solenoids, A/C and other street car features need to be worked around with a Motec.

Erik
Old Jul 28, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Other names: Link, Electromotive, Wolf, Haltech. That's if my memory serves me correctly, it's been a while since I've looked at some standalone stuff.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:23 AM
In Timeout

Motc is great, but get ready to spend from 5-8k JUST for the computer. Then you can re-wire everything and then once you are done with that you get to spend 10's of hours on the dyno getting a map setup. Next is will not pass emissions most of the time unless you lean it out REALLY hard at idol. I know I had one on my Rx-7 and was going to put one on my NSX as well. I think the tek III works well from what I have seen never used it only seen it on Turbo NSX's. The wolf is not bad but it's a piggy back like the EMS, AEM, and the Visnu which is not a bad thing but it's not a stand alone. If I was going to build a race car and wanted to spend 50k on the mods and have it NEVER pass emissions I would do the Motec other then that the Tek III or something like that is your best bet.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 03:47 PM

it's a piggy back like the EMS, AEM.....
How is the AEM EMS a piggy back? It is a stand alone, last time I checked, just not out for the EVO as of yet, but soon to come.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

yea, the Motec is too much.... plus too hard to do...

what is the Apexi stand alone and the HKs (f-con right?) like.... prices, easy to use?

-shahul
Old Jul 28, 2003, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

do a search under my name. i answeared the same question about 2 weeks ago.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

I can only push what I have used/use.... I got Apexi Power FC moderate price but very easy to use with commander unit (sold separately here) F-Con a little more diffcult to use (PRO version) price a little bit higher too...but so is most of HKS products. The BIG minus is that they(HKS-Japan) will not ship to any tuner that is not HKS certified
Old Jul 28, 2003, 08:23 PM

Shahul,

You might want to check out the current issue of Super Street (I know, I know, not the best source of technical data) They have a pretty good article that covers the features lists of quite a few full race (no quick connection to stock harness) EMS systems out there. There are a lot of options. Unfortunately, prices were not given, but I am sure a quick search will give you a rough idea.

D
Old Jul 30, 2003, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

In addition, u guys might wanna check out www.tomei.co.jp. You wont regret it
Old Jul 30, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry this is the correct address. http://www.tomei-p.co.jp. Not sure whether it will work with USDM Evo though
Old Jul 30, 2003, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

The HKS F Con comes in a few varieties - none of which are for the US Spec Evo VIII, except the V Pro IIRC. Main issue with this is you cannot tune it yourself, it must be done by an HKS Pro dealer, of which there are next to none in the US.

As for the others, Motec (there are more than 1 type), Haltech, Autronic, Electromotive TEC III, Pectel and a few others are not for the newbs out there. These are full standalone units that require a fair bit of work to install nicely, and can be agonizing to tune if you are teaching yourself standalone for the first time. Most work in the same way, though features and levels of adjustability differ. We have tuned all of the above successfully at one time or another, and each has plusses and minuses that really are only meaningful to the person tuning it for you.

Best bet overall, is don't brand shop - visit your local tuner, see what they run and are comfortable tuning, and see how cleanly they have installed these. The ecu's are all very capable units, even despite the feature differences some have (and software differences - some are Windows, some are DOS based). In the right hands though, all can be made to run an incredibly fast and reliable Evo.

Quick Reply: Good Stand Alone Engine Management?