Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Idle Surging Problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
The surging never happened when my iac went or was on it's way out, rather quite the opposite. The ix has a different stepping program for the iac to compensate for in between shifts if I remember correctly. I would speak to your tuner.
I will do that, but I find it hard to believe it's in the tune since it just recently started doing this only a month or 2 ago if that.

I wonder what is causing me to go so rich at idle then. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Come on man How many times have you changed the tune in between now and then? No seriously though, I know you revise things a lot so has there been a change? Do you take your car through a lot of car washes that blow compressed water up underneath the vehicle? Is the undertray on the car? What changes were made between now and then? I ask because while it can and will happen, these things don't usually just pop up. All injectors are properly seated? Throttle cable has enough slack/ is pulled tought enough?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem, first time it was a vacume leak. Second time it was real bad so I disabled the entire idle system by blocking the ports, removing the connector, and setting the idle with the BISS. Never idled better.

The idle problem I find is directly related to methanol getting trapped in the TB ports
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Come on man How many times have you changed the tune in between now and then? No seriously though, I know you revise things a lot so has there been a change? Do you take your car through a lot of car washes that blow compressed water up underneath the vehicle? Is the undertray on the car? What changes were made between now and then? I ask because while it can and will happen, these things don't usually just pop up. All injectors are properly seated? Throttle cable has enough slack/ is pulled tought enough?
While I have gone through a few tunes, I'm back on the stock injectors and nothing else has changed since then, aside from the addition of my Perrin FMIC. That is the only thing that has changed.

I do take my car through car washes pretty often and one in particular does spray water underneath the vehicle (I try and drive through it quickly). The undertray is not on anymore. I'll have to check on the injectors, but Zeus installed them so I didn't feel the need to check if they're leaking, also wouldn't I at least smell the fuel if they weren't sealed properly? I am getting crappy gas mileage though but I figured that was to the extremely rich idling.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has not been tuned since the FMIC?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

It has. But I wouldn't imagine anything that has been changed would effect the idling you know? I'm not counting the tune out, but I've re-flashed the car back to the original map before it was updated for the FMIC and still had no luck. I'll try reflashing back to the original map and sticking with it for a day and see what happens.