Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Stage 1 clutch...questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Exedy Stage 1 clutch...questions

Just trying to find out if anybody else has had problems with the Exedy stage 1 clutch. I'd also like to know if there are any remedies for the problems i'm having short of swapping to a different clutch.

the first thing i don't like about this clutch is the engagement point. the stock EVO clutch already engaged pretty high in the pedal, and this one is even worse. i'm 6'4" and i've got long legs and big feet. it took me a while to get used to driving the car because it was hard for me to get my legs and feet far enough back to come completely off the clutch when i shifted (especially when racing). i got used to that, but now with this new clutch it's even worse. i looked at adjusting the pedal, and i did a little, but that just made it worse. that doesn't change where the clutch engages, it just makes the clutch travel a farther distance before it hits the clutches engagement point, and makes it harder to get all the way off the clutch.

the second thing i've just started to notice is that the thing wants to lock me out of gears at or above redline. after installing the clutch i went through a thourough 1500 mile break in to make sure i didn't mess anything up. i just really started getting on it recently just to see how it behaves, and i don't like it. i still haven't launched it, or dragged it, and it doesn't look like there's any point because the clutch will only slow me down. bottom line, i can't shift fast. if i try, the whole transmission makes a loud clunking noise, or it tries to lock me out of the gears, or both. it's just not as easy to shift as the car was with the stock clutch. the 3-4 shift used to be my favorite because it was the fastest...now it's just about the slowest because i have to jam it into 4th. it doesn't just go anymore.

i assume this is the high RPM lockout thing i've heard about, but it doesn't lock me out completely. it's only at full throttle, and high rpm. it just makes it hard to get in gear. is there any fix for any of these problems? i really don't like driving the car as much as i used to, and i wish i just gone with another stock clutch. i got 60k miles out of the stocker with plenty of racing and daily driving as if i'm in a road race everywhere i go, so i should have just gone that route.

any suggestions on how i can fix these issues would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusting the clutch pedal should move the engagement point up/down depending on which way you thread the adjustment rod on the pedal. if the engagement is really high, you want to thread the rod into the pedal further. this will let require the pedal to be further down the stroke before it disengages the clutch. if the engagement point is on the ground, you can thread the rod out of the pedal to move the engagement point up.

i had issues with a 1-2 shift lockout at high rpms (happened every time), the poly front motor mount and engine damper totally eliminated the problem.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

can you really adjust the engagement point of the clutch, or just the point relative to where the clutch pedal begins it's stroke? example: let's say the stock clutch engaged after being pushed in 1". the new one engages after being pushed in .5". now i adjust the pedal closer to me, the clutch engages after being pushed in 1", but it's still in the same place it was. the pedal stroke is just longer now. that doesn't help me at all. what i need is a way to adjust the physical engagement point to put it back where the stock one was. someone said something about adjusting a bolt on the master cylinder, but he didn't go into details of how this would solve the problem.

i'm really starting to hate this clutch though. any ideas on the harsh engagement issues?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

the clutch pedal adjustment doesn't actually move the pedal, it moves the linkage forward or backwards, thus in effect moving the engagement point up or down. adjusting this will still have the same stroke up and down, but the engagement changes.

the bolt they are talking about on the master cylinder is most likely one and the same as the clutch pedal adjustment i am talking about.

the harsh engagement may be fixed with the clutch pedal adjustment, but if not once it adjusted correctly we can go from there.... motor mount, engine damper, shifter bushings, etc....
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

ahh okay. last time i asked somebody about this they said that the clutch pedal adjustment wouldn't physically adjust the engagement point. i did adjust the pedal once already and it doesn't feel like it moved any, just the pedal. i dunno if there's another way to adjust it though. also, it seems that the master cylinder bolt may help me more because it won't affect where the pedal sits. i dunno, i'll play around with it when i have a day off again and see if i can fix any of this. if not, i may be in your garage again for a swap back to a new OEM clutch lol
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same clutch, and the engagement point is too high...I just started reading up on this now and I am going to try adjusting the pushrod.

ODUB, how did yours go?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

the clutch still sucks, and now i've got high rpm lockout issues. i can't shift at or above redline in any gear. i've missed more gears with this clutch than i've missed in every manual transmission car i've ever driven COMBINED!!!! when i had my civic Si i litterally miss-shifted twice the entire time i owned the car. both times my hand slipped off the shift knob while shifting to second because i was shifting too hard and the knob was just slick... in the EVO i had miss-shifted a total of 3 times before i'd gotten this clutch....now the damn thing never wants to go in gear. i've grinded gears in second 4 or 5 times (had never done that before), miss shifted 4th i dunno how many times. i just really really really wish i had gone with another stock clutch. this thing is terrible. i don't know if i just got a bad one, or it wasn't installed properly or what, but i hate it. i can't shift fast anymore. i wanted to go back to the track and beat my 12.82 time now that i have a new clutch, but there's no way i'll be able to hit the 12.6 i know the car is capable of because i can't shift fast enough with this thing.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

you are doing something wrong, i had this clutch in my old evo and i had the high rpm lockout also. i adjusted the clutch pedal and it went away and my shifting was smooth like butter. there must be something wrong. try adjusting it again or maybe check installation?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:34 AM

hey i jus got this clutch installed too and jus put about 500 miles on the clutch.the thing i dont like is tryin to engage it in first gear in a dead stop, it feels like the clutch dont want to grab and shakes the car like im gonna stall out.can anyone help me and tell whats wrong?Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boosted9
hey i jus got this clutch installed too and jus put about 500 miles on the clutch.the thing i dont like is tryin to engage it in first gear in a dead stop, it feels like the clutch dont want to grab and shakes the car like im gonna stall out.can anyone help me and tell whats wrong?Thanks
I'm having the same exact problems. Can someone shed some light on this issue?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for some info.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deegaw11
you are doing something wrong, i had this clutch in my old evo and i had the high rpm lockout also. i adjusted the clutch pedal and it went away and my shifting was smooth like butter. there must be something wrong. try adjusting it again or maybe check installation?
i'm starting to think it's an installation issue. i've tried everything known to man, and the thing just sucks. i really hate this clutch, and it's taken a lot of the fun out of driving the car. i don't like shifting slow. the whole reason i got an upgraded clutch is because it was supposed to IMPROVE shifting, not make it 100 times worse. i've been pricing stockers, and as soon as i have the time to take the car down, i'm buying a new stocker, new stock flywheel, and putting it back the way it was.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

i have this clutch with about 1.5k miles on it. weird thing is that mine grabs on the floor..... i got the lockout thing too which is a hella bumber but mine grabs on the floor. its never done the shaking thing tho. Im going to play with the pedal adjustment alittle to see if the lockout thing goes away if not im going to just save up to buy a twin disk....
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

solved my problem by replacing the clutch with an ACT HDSS and Streetlite flywheel. that clutch is crap