Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

tuning questions, just a few

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008 | 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

ok so evo 8 with stuff i have, hks 272 cams,and a down pipe and what cat. and the same for an evo 9. so ive decided what im gonna buy exept for the cat, and if i get pulled over and am i going to have problems with getting my car to pass SMOG tests and stuff like that or is my car going to be all illegal and crap, cause i dont want to buy all this and put it on then have to get it all taken off cause it wont pass. thanks

Last edited by landis507; Feb 12, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Id personally run a test pipe. I dont know much about high flow cats, but ive heard 100cell is the best.

Im a little confused on the question about the evo 9. But many of us dont swap out our IX cams because we have mivec, and the stock cams are pretty good for just basic bolt ons.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by landis507
hey guys, im going to try and make this realy easy. what do i NEED to have cams in my evo 8 with the stuff i have and the same question for an evo 9. with all the same stuff cause my friend is a f'ing copy cat(but hes getting a different bov)(and my car is faster anyways) but what do we need to have cams, including everyting but the stuff i have, like down pipe, highflow cat. gsc s1 cams.(what cams for an evo 9 too, gsc s2 or what?) and what else and what cat and dp. thanks alot
Just the S1 cams. You do not really need cams gears for those. Also the S1's aren't so hot for the IX's. I would suggest cosworth first then HKS for his car. No gears needed for the IX.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Id personally run a test pipe. I dont know much about high flow cats, but ive heard 100cell is the best.

Im a little confused on the question about the evo 9. But many of us dont swap out our IX cams because we have mivec, and the stock cams are pretty good for just basic bolt ons.
Dude come on he wouldn't stop talking about smog test so why would you recommend a test pipe.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thanks man about the hole smog test, cops are tight around my house. so do you think the stuff i have, and a megan dp. and the gsc s1 cams and a tune would be good for my car. and then the same for my friends but 272 hks cams for his evo 9
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

yeah thanks man about the hole smog test, cops are tight around my house. so do you think the stuff i have, and a megan dp. and the gsc s1 cams and a tune would be good for my car. and then the same for my friends but 272 hks cams for his evo 9
That would work. I would recommend a hi-flow cat. Like mentioned either APS or buschur should have one. Finish it all off with a good tuner. I am a big supporter of 4 wheel slide. Look at my sig with my numbers. Talk to him about it and he will help you out. He has tuned hundreds of Evo's and can answer anything you need.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Dont be stupid on the street and you wont have problems with the Po. Where in cali are you located?
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

im in so cal. but hey i heard with the hks bov that i need an idle stabilizer, is this true? and ive seen evos that shut off like 5 seconds after the person is walking away. how do i do that? so after you answere the bov question and the shut off question. then my evo will have the stuff i have told you about,the idle stabilizer(if needed), the shut off thing, gsc s1 cams, a megan dp, and a buschur highflow cat. since you are very fimiliar with evos and whats good. do you think that would be good, and would my car start having problems after i put this stuff on it. and you no my most frequently asked question. Will it pass SMOG with all this on it if i get pulled over? haha sorry for so many questions man, im just trying to make sure that if i get pulled over or something happends to my car, its not illegal. what i mean by illegal is like, a citation for my exhaust. but i shouldnt get that unless its loud or just stupid stuff like that you know. but ten my friend should do the same but with hks 272 cams, and just stuff for the evo 9 instead of 8? thanks alot man, you realy helping me out.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 10:49 PM

just my 2 cents here...

When I bought my evo VIII it came with an invida cat back. Throwing a cat back on your car is not gonna create power. It's once you put on your high flow cat or test pipe that you see your power gains(and a tune helps).

Here's what im running...
Cobb 2 inch DP, Megan Racing 3" race pipe, Invidia cat back,
Forge adjustable wastegate actuator, turbo XS dual MBC (19psi & 23psi)
AEM air intake and GFB BOV
AMS LICP

Tuesday im dropping in some Brian Crower 272 cams(intake & exhaust) and AEM adjustable cam gears.

Now as for cams...everyone has different specs on cams...and all cars are different. you can have one 2005 evo VIII running with the same mods as another and hit different power depending on weather and such.I've red the specs on HKS 272 cams and Brian Crowers and they are pretty much the same now as for power we will find out after my tune wednesday. BC cames 320 HKs about 600+. Now im not a genius when it comes to the 4G63 but I love it!!!

Im getting my tune done at harmon motive on wednesday...so ill let you know my numbers. I run my bodies STI(he hit 345AWHP and 380lbs of TQ) at 19psi I beat him by 4 car lengths.

so here's my route for you or anyone who wants to upgrade there evo...

Intake
Downpipe, testpipe/high flow cat, cat back (or straight turbo back)
Boost controller
cams and cam gears
AND AND AND...A GOOOOOOOOD TUNE!!!

Ill get back to you with my numbers on wednesday!! Take care hope this helps a bit.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info dude, hey revmoto what do you think about my last post?
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Grammar and punctuation were some well learned things in English class. I couldn't even get pass the first 3 sentences of the original post.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

im in so cal. but hey i heard with the hks bov that i need an idle stabilizer, is this true? and ive seen evos that shut off like 5 seconds after the person is walking away. how do i do that? so after you answere the bov question and the shut off question. then my evo will have the stuff i have told you about,the idle stabilizer(if needed), the shut off thing, gsc s1 cams, a megan dp, and a buschur highflow cat. since you are very fimiliar with evos and whats good. do you think that would be good, and would my car start having problems after i put this stuff on it. and you no my most frequently asked question. Will it pass SMOG with all this on it if i get pulled over? haha sorry for so many questions man, im just trying to make sure that if i get pulled over or something happends to my car, its not illegal. what i mean by illegal is like, a citation for my exhaust. but i shouldnt get that unless its loud or just stupid stuff like that you know. but ten my friend should do the same but with hks 272 cams, and just stuff for the evo 9 instead of 8? thanks alot man, you realy helping me out.
I would just put a stock IX on. The stabilizer makes it not stall but you are gonna run rich between shifts and it hurts performance. The auto shut off is called a turbo timer. Used to let the car run a little longer for the oil to cool down. It is not needed. Last question is yes. Your car will run better then what it does now and will pass emissions.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

so now i have it all figured out on what im getting. but for my friends car, same as mine or hks cams. and why will the hks bov stall the car. and will it run lean after a tune with the hks bov on it,cause i realy dont want to get rid of it( i love the triple fin sound, lol). or will it run lean with the stabilizer on it. dang it i dont no how to say it but here, i dont mean to sound like dik, if i do but how do i make the hks bov work with the other stuff i have and the cams, dp,hi flow cat, and a retune, or just for now, only the stuff i have, with a retune,(i have, intake, IC pipes, hks hi power catback, and the hks bov)
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

so now i have it all figured out on what im getting. but for my friends car, same as mine or hks cams. and why will the hks bov stall the car. and will it run lean after a tune with the hks bov on it,cause i realy dont want to get rid of it( i love the triple fin sound, lol). or will it run lean with the stabilizer on it. dang it i dont no how to say it but here, i dont mean to sound like dik, if i do but how do i make the hks bov work with the other stuff i have and the cams, dp,hi flow cat, and a retune, or just for now, only the stuff i have, with a retune,(i have, intake, IC pipes, hks hi power catback, and the hks bov)
You can route it into the intake. It wont be as loud but it will sound nice.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

so what if i just put the stuff i have right now on my car, and get a retune, how bad is that bov gonna hurt my car. cause like i wanna have it realy loud or the greddy bov. cause i only want the hks for the triple fin sound. then ill save for all the other stuff and put it on and get a retune.

Quick Reply: tuning questions, just a few