Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

tuning questions, just a few

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuning questions, just a few

so ive hed alot of *******s on this site tell me that i dont no what i talking about cause i ask questions, so im looking for some people that wont be diks, *******s, or coz problems. so i have a hks hi power catback, hks bov. and an injen intercooler piping lit with intake(combo thing) and i have put any of it on cause people just tell me to retune my car that i dont no what im talking about. so can someone tell me if i have t or not. also this guy by my house has a boost controler(up to 20 psi) a fuel rail, intercooler piping, intake, hks bov and hks exhaust and he hasent done a retune yet but i want to make sure that i have to or not cause i want my car to run good. thanks guys
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

You will need to get tuned to benefit from it.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

but would my car run good, or will it run like **** after a fer weeks
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

It will probably run lean. I don't know a whole lot about tuning but I do know you need a tune when you change things that affect airflow or fuel.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

k thanks man. do you have any videos of your car. ive been trying to get one of mine but i dont have a good enough camera
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing current. Here's an older one from when I had a crappy tune.

Dyno Tune
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

i have one more question for non azzholes. would 272 cams hurt my motor, and what would i have to do to put them in(like what other performance stuff. not instructions on how to do it) and would they slow down my acceleration and beter top end or more acceleration and better top end. and whats the risk for having cams, like would it make my car run crappy, would it make my car have problems. run rough or anything.cause ive heard that the stuff i have with a retune, my car wouldnt have any problems, just like stock but a little bit faster. thanks
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I will ask what everyone else is going to ask. What are your final goals for your car?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

just the stuff ive already bought(hks hi-power exhaust, hks bov, intake/IC pipes) and thats it, unless cams will help and not make it run crapy or rough or anything.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

First, I would finish the rest of your exhaust. The stock dp sucks. Then get a tune and see if you like the power you are making.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People here aren't being *******s. They are just tired of seeing the same thing over and over and recommend new people to use the search button in order to read about frequently asked questions and to learn about the car. One of those things you would have learned is that the HKS BOV you have on your car right now is hurting you. They do less for the car than benefit. Put a stock IX valve in and then get a tune. A tune will remain the same and not get ****tier. A tune makes your car completely different. Not only will your powerband and response feel 10X better but power is night and day and gas mileage is enhanced.

Now on to your cam question. In an 8 I would highly recommend it. Now the question is which cams. I am a huge fan of S1's. A good tuner can get them to idle just as good as stock. It increases power throughout the entire rpm range.

These are the parts you need.

Turboback
Intake
IX diverter valve
Ported manifold
02 housing
stock IX fuel pumps work great or a walbro
Tuning.

If you are craving more power then get yourself some S1 cams and a retune.

Now enjoy the car after that.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

so i have 2 more questions before i go putting stuff on and buying more stuff.

With the stuff that i have already bought, Will my car pass SMOG with a retune?If so

With the stuff that i have already bought, Will my car pass SMOG after i put a dp(down pipe) on it.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by landis507
so i have 2 more questions before i go putting stuff on and buying more stuff.

With the stuff that i have already bought, Will my car pass SMOG with a retune?If so

With the stuff that i have already bought, Will my car pass SMOG after i put a dp(down pipe) on it.
You will pass but only with a cat. A 3 inch downpipe and highflow cat is the only way you can go.
Evolving Member

ok so maybe not cams, even though you look like you realy no what your talking about. but what about just the stuff i bought and a dp. will it pass SMOG
Evolved Member

Put in cams,MBC, DP & the rest of your parts then get a full tune and it will run great. If it is tuned properly.....

No cams will not hurt your motor unless they are installed wrong...

Quick Reply: tuning questions, just a few