Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BW ET50 Trim Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I can't seem to find an Evo turbo kit on their site. I know that someone came out with a kit very similar to this one back in December of 06. I think they were using the same compressor housing and manifold. But I never followed what happened to them.

This is the company who I worked with on my setup: http://www.vipgarageonline.com/
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

500/500 with 300TQ before 4k is darn nice man.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MadMsheen
I can't seem to find an Evo turbo kit on their site. I know that someone came out with a kit very similar to this one back in December of 06. I think they were using the same compressor housing and manifold. But I never followed what happened to them.

This is the company who I worked with on my setup: http://www.vipgarageonline.com/
the kit SLS "made" was never released. but it looked exactly like the one u have. they used a turbosmart wastegate, same mani, same turbo.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
the kit SLS "made" was never released. but it looked exactly like the one u have. they used a turbosmart wastegate, same mani, same turbo.
It could have been. While I was testing and ironing out issues with this turbo, someone else posted it for sale with the same manifold. I'm not sure if it was them, but I know it was put out there. I was waiting to see their results, since they said they were testing it on a car. But I'm not sure if they even had an Evo to test it on.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

sure wasn't us talking trash.... not our cup of tea.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I've been curious about this turbo for the longest time. I really thought it would perform a little better. Those are great numbers no doubt. I just expected more separation from a 50 trim on a similar setup. I believe the S256 flows @ 58lbs/min so my expectation was 525-550whp on a DJ. What size is the hotside?

Do you think that setup has another 30+ whp to give or is this about the max you think it's got?

I'd like to see a S256 twin-scroll setup on a 2.0. If I had money to burn I'd do it without hesitation.

In any event it still looks like a nice setup you've got.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
I've been curious about this turbo for the longest time. I really thought it would perform a little better. Those are great numbers no doubt. I just expected more separation from a 50 trim on a similar setup. I believe the S256 flows @ 58lbs/min so my expectation was 525-550whp on a DJ.
Why do you care about the peak # so much? It's a pretty conservative tune, and the area under the curve is awesome. Look at the peak torque.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Why do you care about the peak # so much? It's a pretty conservative tune, and the area under the curve is awesome. Look at the peak torque.
exactly!
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
I complimented the setup and am sure the car pulls nicely. Both curves are robust. And I am not a peak numbers junkie like so many people on this forum. I just thought based on listed flow rate and comp map that it could pull a little harder from 5k + (which is why I asked for his opinion on it). I'd love to see what more he can do with it since these turbos shouldn't choke off like the standard 50.

I give VIP and the OP props for trying new things. That's a rarity.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
I've been curious about this turbo for the longest time. I really thought it would perform a little better. Those are great numbers no doubt. I just expected more separation from a 50 trim on a similar setup. I believe the S256 flows @ 58lbs/min so my expectation was 525-550whp on a DJ. What size is the hotside?

Do you think that setup has another 30+ whp to give or is this about the max you think it's got?

I'd like to see a S256 twin-scroll setup on a 2.0. If I had money to burn I'd do it without hesitation.

In any event it still looks like a nice setup you've got.
There is still more left in this turbo. I have a very conservative tune on it. It's my roadcourse tune, somewhat. I plan on turning up the boost to where I had it on the 2.0L. I also plan on changing my CAM gear timing to get more power up top for the strip. I'm not sure how that's going to affect my torque numbers, but I think I can squeeze another 30 or so awhp out of this turbo, as long as my spark holds.

Old Dominion Speedway is opening soon, and I plan to take full advantage of all the runs I can get in for tuning. I'll post up my progress.

Edit: My timing values are about 10 degrees less than before if that tells you how conservatively I've tuned it this time.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I would kill myself in a 500whp road racer!
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 06:55 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Seyla, very nice job with the tune. Seems to be quite a car. Enjoy it.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DTM
Seyla, very nice job with the tune. Seems to be quite a car. Enjoy it.
Thanks, Nick. I prefer a street tune, but if I need a dyno in a hurry, I'll know where to go.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

That exhaust housing looks like it is billet? Is it? Anyway nice piece i have been looking into the BW turbos but i have not found one that i have been pleased with in the sizing im looking for compared to Garrett turbos. But i think this specific one works pretty well good job!

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
That exhaust housing looks like it is billet? Is it? Anyway nice piece i have been looking into the BW turbos but i have not found one that i have been pleased with in the sizing im looking for compared to Garrett turbos. But i think this specific one works pretty well good job!

Chris
I'm extremely happy with the predictable power of the setup. The delivery is very smooth. I don't know if it's a billet housing, but I'm sure VIP will step in to answer your questions. I just tune it, and make adjustments to suit my run conditions. I haven't been able to test it on the roadcourse, yet, but I think it's going to feel great.

Quick Reply: BW ET50 Trim Dyno