Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why are BOVs that VTA not good for MAF?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing people make this comment and wanted to know the reason why? The stock BOV returns air flow between the MAF and the turbo, so that after the MAF and only does it on the off throttle.

I am planning on upgrading to a tial BOV and just wanted to know what are the concern to be taken if any.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Search my friend!!!...there are tons of threads relating to this problem.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Basically, you are releasing metered (MAF) air into the atmosphere. The car has already made it's calculations as to how much fuel to add for the amount of air the MAF is seeing. By VTA, the metered amount of air is gone, causing idling issues and associated problems.

That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it sounds like you have seem some of the ill side effects.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Psquared
Basically, you are releasing metered (MAF) air into the atmosphere. The car has already made it's calculations as to how much fuel to add for the amount of air the MAF is seeing. By VTA, the metered amount of air is gone, causing idling issues and associated problems.

That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it sounds like you have seem some of the ill side effects.
Nope , haven't installed the tial BOV yet

Guess if i install the Tial, close off the port between the MAF & turbo and retune with a flash i should be ok?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fas-n-furyus
Nope , haven't installed the tial BOV yet

Guess if i install the Tial, close off the port between the MAF & turbo and retune with a flash i should be ok?
nope. you will still be releasing metered air no matter what unless the air is measured AFTER the BOV. ie: MAFT or standalone.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I know someone else is going to ask, but why are you swapping yours out? Your sig shows you have a JDM IX. You should have the metal diverter. Good for up to 25psi. IF...it's for sound, save yourself the headache and put an open element intake on the car. You wouldn't believe how loud the stocker becomes.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

You drive an Evo IX. Keep the stock BOV. It's works fine and it's a strong piece. There's really no reason to replace it. If you get a tune and some mods pushing around 350... no 300 even, you'll hear it more; that is, if you're doing this for the sound effects.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:50 AM

for a stocker ... its pretty loud.

in the process of bolting on mods ie. 3" exhaust, down pipe, o2 housing, methanol injection, EBC, LICP & UICP, IC

my aim is to hit the 400 barrier, so i thought it would have bin a good upgrade.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

i took the hose from the bov to the maf pipe off and caped off the maf pipe hole.. sounds louder.. only problem...(that is noticable) is when you ease off the gas.. not fully letting off, it bogs and messes up.. so i just always let off the gas and it didnt do anything out of the unusual.. no idle problems.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

APS Twin Vent is a great BOV. Holds boost, loud, and re circulates. I got mine for free for doing photoshoot for another Evo guy! Had I had to PAY for a BOV, I would have bought a stock IX BOV.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doubt...

Originally Posted by Psquared

Isn't the BOV supposed to work only when you lift up the throttle? (so ECU calculation cut fuel injection as well)???

I am just trying to understand...
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fas-n-furyus

I keep seeing people make this comment and wanted to know the reason why? The stock BOV returns air flow between the MAF and the turbo, so that after the MAF and only does it on the off throttle.

I am planning on upgrading to a tial BOV and just wanted to know what are the concern to be taken if any.
This something that should be discussed in the newbie section, NOT Evo Advanced.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

get the APS twin vent bov....i don't have it yet but i've heard good things about them it still returns the needed air at idle so its all good and during cruise conditions it still returns air as needed and when your WOT between shifts it releases air to the intake and atmo so you pretty much get the best of both worlds if you ask me
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Why are people still making BOV threads??

EDIT: I just noticed why. His name is fas-n-furyus

Last edited by dsmbruno; Sep 27, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

VTA effects will depend on the car and the tune. I recently had to VTA due to unforseen complications and time restraits with a current turbo upgrade and tune. My HKS SSQV was jacked up and the only BOV the shop could get for me AND meet my much needed deadline was the limited edition HKS that only VTA. My upper IC pipe has the HKS flange on it so I was kinda stuck with getting another HKS. I was lucky and the tuner was good so my car has no ill effects. It drives like a recirc system. I see initial sporatic idle when I come to a stop with the A/C on high or medium, but then the system finds its needed whatever and the idle smooths out. Other than with the A/C on, the car acts normal. Just a roll of the dice on how the car wants to respond it. I consider myself lucky.