Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT HDSS Needs Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT HDSS Needs Adjustment?

I had an ACT HD SS (heavy duty pressure plate w/ street disc) put in recently and it was awesome.

I say "was" b/c the buttery-smooth shifts and grabby pickup of the clutch are suddenly gone - I'm back to the notchy and sometimes grinding shifts, even with the clutch pressed fully to the floor when changing gears.

This has to be an adjustment issue that's a direct result of the break-in period, right? The notchiness started as I got the clutch warm (I was bedding my brake pads so did about 20 or so 10 mph to 60 mph to 10 mph cycles).

I'm very happy with the clutch but want to get it "back" to the way it was when it was brand new (in terms of shifting smoothness and engagement, anyway).

Of course, I followed directions and haven't done any really hard shifts or hard acceleration during the clutch breakin period. I've also noticed that the pickup point now seems to be further from the floor than when I first got the car back.

I know there's a screw that can be adjusted on the clutch pedal but I want to be sure that's all I need to change.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe evomoto has a write up on how to adjust your pedal. To answer your question yes it needs to be adjusted.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

every clutch needs to be adjusted, like Revmoto said check out

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...5a333ea59eb80f

link to the site

Cheers!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4WS@TopLevelAuto
every clutch needs to be adjusted, like Revmoto said check out

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...5a333ea59eb80f

link to the site

Cheers!
Rock on - thank you!

On a pure curiosity basis - what is happening mechanically to the new clutch so that it requires adjustment? Is it really wearing thinner that quickly?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I needed to adjust mine out of my car and readjust with an Exedy Twin.

If you have trouble finding the Exedy I'll show you where it is

Scorke
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

No it should have been adjusted to begin with after the install.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Do you need a special wrench to adjust this? I cannot get my pliers (or any other tool for that matter) to get into a position to loosen the lock nut, much less adjust the pushrod. There's nearly no room to maneuver at all.

How are you guys doing this? Just sheer finger strength?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Use a box end wrench on the nut to loosen it enough to get with your fingers. Then "play" with the pedal while turning the rod to adjust it. By playing with the pedal, I mean moving it slightly to release pressure on the rod. You will see what I mean. Tighten it back up, and youre done.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:27 AM

I am having similar issues with the exedy twin, however, i think my clutch pedal adjustment is already maxxed out when i looked at it. Weird thing is i don't think the clutch is gone because it slips when its cold, but when i try to burn it just a bit the problem goes away. Either way it still engages really high. Scorke, did you have this with your exedy twin?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I had an Exedy Twin and I could NEVER get hte pedal right and when I finally did it would just move itsself out of adjustment again. The clutch was junk IMO and my ACT held up 5x's better and it wasnt even the HD. I was recently putting in my Motor and realized my Exedy Twin with less than 10k needed to be replaced. Im now going to do a Xtreme Pressure plate, I doubt ill buy another Edexy after all of that money for it to last that long.

I had nothing but problems since day one.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy
I had an Exedy Twin and I could NEVER get hte pedal right and when I finally did it would just move itsself out of adjustment again. The clutch was junk IMO and my ACT held up 5x's better and it wasnt even the HD. I was recently putting in my Motor and realized my Exedy Twin with less than 10k needed to be replaced. Im now going to do a Xtreme Pressure plate, I doubt ill buy another Edexy after all of that money for it to last that long.

I had nothing but problems since day one.
Mine works well now that it's adjusted properly. My only complaint is that now the full engagement position is very high up; it makes double-clutching difficult and slow (kind of defeats the purpose of double-clutching).

I was shocked at how much of a difference that one turn of that pushrod made with respect to moving the engagement position.

I can probably live without double clutching; the setup is grippy as hell and I'm enjoying the butter-smooth shifts again.