Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

**Stock Manifold porting debate**

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
You mean in that fleshy patch where his nuts use to be?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

*FLICK*...lol I tried to tell him but certain people just dont want to listen. I know it is not big gains but damn sure is cheaper than buying a DNP, Borla..etc...manifold Even though they look nice under the hood. Well I will be getting a good looking shiny stock/PORTED MANIFOLD soon
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

^^ From who? If you need a recommendation, PM me...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha. So who was right from the beginning?....*FLICK*
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:01 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Since I stated all of this, I might as well add this:

Dave Buschur is the one that has done the testing on this showing dyno-proven results from a ported manifold. Yes you can get it done for a little cheaper elsewhere, but have they proven that their porting work makes power? NO!

Order it from Buschur Racing. If you get it done elsewhere, you'll get what you pay for.

That is all!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Right... listen to this guy...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheides

Dave Buschur is the one that has done the testing on this showing dyno-proven results from a ported manifold. Yes you can get it done for a little cheaper elsewhere, but have they proven that their porting work makes power? NO!

Order it from Buschur Racing. If you get it done elsewhere, you'll get what you pay for.

That is all!
That is a false statement. Buschur has the ability to test and he was one of the first to port our manifold since he has the most experience with our cars. He on the other hand did not invent porting. That has been around for awhile. Saying he is the only one who knows what he is doing is a biased and false statement. PPI does some amazing work. WOT is good. Not to mention I am not that bad either. Companies like buschur might not spend as much time on a manifold due to the amount of time involved with the price. Somebody without overhead can put that extra effort into the port job without upping the cost.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TKEVO
Now he mentioned something about the ported manifold could cause turbulance between the head and mani because of the size difference. What's up?
Your friend is an abject retard (no offense).

The ports on the exhaust mani are SMALLER than the exhaust ports on the head. Anyone worth their salt will make a template of an Evo head, and then port the mani to said template. You should not gasket match the exhaust manifold where it meets the head.

Anything done to promote flow will help make power. There is plenty to improve on with the stock manifold. In this case, with a good port job, it can and does mean horsepower on the Evo. Sometimes improved flow means added knock resistance, which indirectly means more horsepower.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Feb 18, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Anything done to promote flow will help make power. There is plenty to improve on with the stock manifold. In this case, with a good port job, it can and does mean horsepower on the Evo. Sometimes improved flow means added knock resistance, which indirectly means more horsepower.

Very true, with some certain circumstances where you can actually go too big and hurt power.

But, as a *very* generalized statement, going back to the roots of an engine, it is just an air pump. Anything you can do to get air in and out faster is going to make it more efficient, and thus, more powerful.

BUT REMEMBER, the above is a *very* generalized statment. You can on certain things go too big.

*FLICK*
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Your friend is an abject retard (no offense).

The ports on the exhaust mani are SMALLER than the exhaust ports on the head. Anyone worth their salt will make a template of an Evo head, and then port the mani to said template. You should not gasket match the exhaust manifold where it meets the head.

NO offense taking but he needed to hear this **** after I was constantly telling im about it.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides

That is all!
Yea I decided awhile ago that I am going with buschur.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Damn dude your friend is a moron he must have a N/A car doiesn't really know too much about turbo cars. Even if he does or doesn't drive a car he should know smooth exhaust flow will increase power from all car and bike motors. He probably thinks that a exhaust system or 3inch DP and cutout makes no power.

Drag is out in the middle of the street and put one in his cap he needs to be shot and taken out of society.....lol
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again based on different results I've seen over the years, porting/port matching the stock exhaust manifold is a waste of time compared to how much work it is to just do the install let alone the money it costs to have ported/time it takes to port. I feel the same way about the O2 housing also.

Waste all the time and money you want but that's my .02
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:38 AM
Former Sponsor

^it takes like 30 minutes to take the manifold off. the porting can benefit as the flange on the manifold that connects to the turbo is not even close to the same size. the ports to the head are very close to the stock ports on the head and not nearly as much porting is done. if someone gasket matches the exhaust manifold gasket between the head they are crazy and wasting a bunch of time as the gasket is larger then both the head ports and the manifold ports. and since you can't realistically open out the entire length of the manfiold to have the same diameter all the way through, opening it up that far may hurt more then it helps.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:09 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
That is a false statement. Buschur has the ability to test and he was one of the first to port our manifold since he has the most experience with our cars. He on the other hand did not invent porting. That has been around for awhile. Saying he is the only one who knows what he is doing is a biased and false statement. PPI does some amazing work. WOT is good. Not to mention I am not that bad either. Companies like buschur might not spend as much time on a manifold due to the amount of time involved with the price. Somebody without overhead can put that extra effort into the port job without upping the cost.
Easy there killer!

Go back and read my post. I did not make a false statement of any kind. I never said other people did not know what they were doing, including yourself. You have proven youself to be very knowledgeable several times over in my eyes. I never said DB invented porting, that would be silly. All I said was that he is the guy that first proved to me that porting the manifold (after addressing the other exhaust components) would make more power. Furthermore, he also proved that it makes as good or better power than some of the tubular manifolds out there, save for the Full Race header for the stock turbo.

To the original poster, your friend is probably familiear with working on other cars where the head design is very lackluster. The stock evo head flows awesome, and as a result addressing the manifolds on either side of it first makes sense! Once they are done however, further power can be made by porting the head. That takes a little more work though

Quick Reply: **Stock Manifold porting debate**