Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another new PUMP gas record, thanks Driven Innovations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
Haha that's me!
The clever person know's when to call in the pro .

Mark
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

If you don't push the car to det, how do you know how safe a tune is? If you listen for det properly (det cans) or reliable knock sensor reading, you can push any car to slight det to have an idea of where the barriers are. If you don't do this, you do not know how to tune IMHO.

Just stopping at 20 psi or some random number and saying, "yep thats good", is not a school of thought. As a tuner you should max out the perfomance of an engine setup safely. If you don't know when the engine will det, and you don't know whether more boost will make more power, you are not doing your job.
maybe you missed this

my real world experience came from several tuned setups (hondas mostly) on pump gas. We would see detonation on anything past 20-22psi on our 93 octane. you could see it in the graph and on the plugs.

and thats what knock sensors are for btw

Last edited by Tracy; Feb 25, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Al how long have you been tuning cars professionally?

I thought the Evo's introduction to America was your first foray into professional tuning.

Al has never been tuning cars professionally.

Scorke
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Mike (Tracy) - please re-read my post #341. Pulling timing doesn't make the "builds EGT temps to unsafe levels, makes the motor lazy, hurts throttle response, VE, and more." If you think it does, please explain why??

You still haven't told me why you care about EGT's. Have you ever tuned a road race car?? They have EGT's in the 950-1000*C range.

In the 20psi and lower area where YOU are comfortable adding timing, you still can. Its in the 25psi and up area where you pull the timing so that you can increase the boost. This does not make the motor lazy or decrease the VE of the engine

Remember what I said a couple pages ago, 1psi of boost will make quite a bit more power than 1 degree of timing advance, especially on a 35R in the 20-30psi range.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you just don't seem to be grasping the concept of its all about maintaining a maximum cylinder pressure with out knocking........remember the old saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat......cylinder pressure is made with a combination of compression ratio + boost pressure + ignition advance.

Out of those 3 things, which one is going to yield the most power on its own??

Last edited by SloRice; Feb 25, 2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tracy
maybe you missed this

my real world experience came from several tuned setups (hondas mostly) on pump gas. We would see detonation on anything past 20-22psi on our 93 octane. you could see it in the graph and on the plugs.
So you took what applied to one car and applied it to others in terms of timing and max boost? Every car will be a different... just a different cam can effect timing drastically.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

One question to the pro's and mappers How are you listening for detonation.

Mark
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mark S
One question to the pro's and mappers How are you listening for detonation.

Mark
Mark I'm not sure you will get many replies... but I believe all the stock ecu guys "listen/watch/read" to det with just logging the factory knock counts. Then I think the AEM guys log the raw knock sensor voltage, and maybe the AEM can do some interpretation of that raw voltage. I think there are very few tuners on this board using headphones to "listen".

Originally Posted by scorke
Al has never been tuning cars professionally.

Scorke
priceless...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Seems most EVO guys (compared to other engines i am familiar with) run considerably less compression on their built engines. Most guys are running pretty aggressive cams. What does this mean? Static compression is lower, and dynamic compression is even lower than that.
Correct. This equates into more boost pressure being tolerated, which results in greater power. Where 93 octane is the limiting factor, a motor with 10:1 SCR will not generate as much power as the same motor with 8:1 SCR when the detonation threshold rears its ugly head.

In my personal opinion, the higher compression (within reason) the more efficient, crisp, responsive then motor and car is. The turbo will spool faster, you will get better gas mileage around town, etc.
Except that it will not make the same power as the lower compression engine when the boost is turned up, so long as fuel octane is the limiting factor. I would never build a 10:1 street engine if I was limited to 93 octane fuel and used a large turbo. It can be somewhat different story for smaller turbo, lower rpm setups (e.g. WRC cars), but that is a different subject.

Originally Posted by SloRice
3. You're doing the same thing by cranking the boost up to 30psi and running 8.8:1 compression or cranking the compression up to 10:1 and running 20psi.....its the same thing.
Be careful, as that is only true so long as the mixture is not ignited. If we sit and look at a static pressure gauge, yes. If we check the mass of O2 molecules inside the chamber, no. The lower SCR engine will have greater air mass at the same static pressure as the higher SCR engine. The lower SCR engine makes more power before detonation steps in.

Last edited by Ted B; Feb 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Mark I'm not sure you will get many replies... but I believe all the stock ecu guys "listen/watch/read" to det with just logging the factory knock counts. Then I think the AEM guys log the raw knock sensor voltage, and maybe the AEM can do some interpretation of that raw voltage. I think there are very few tuners on this board using headphones to "listen".

priceless...

Its all good Looking at knock raw voltage but how was it calibrated and has it been checked by the tuner, Most will likely say they told me knock happens @X but how do they know.

Mark
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Be careful, as that is only true so long as the mixture is not ignited. If we sit and look at a static pressure gauge, yes. If we check the mass of O2 molecules inside the chamber, no. The lower SCR engine will have greater air mass at the same static pressure as the higher SCR engine. The lower SCR engine makes more power before detonation steps in.
Correct. Once the mixture is ignited, it becomes a whole new ballgame. The lower compression ratio is much more forgiving when making big power.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Mark I'm not sure you will get many replies... but I believe all the stock ecu guys "listen/watch/read" to det with just logging the factory knock counts. ... there are very few tuners on this board using headphones to "listen".
My tentative belief these days is the best option is to do both, and adjust the noise floor threshold table to match what one actually hears. It's hard to believe that listening can be so simple (two copper tubes and a set of hearing protection headphones), but it appears as though we have to give Mark Shead props for that ridiculously simple solution as well.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
My tentative belief these days is the best option is to do both, and adjust the noise floor threshold table to match what one actually hears. It's hard to believe that listening can be so simple (two copper tubes and a set of hearing protection headphones), but it appears as though we have to give Mark Shead props for that ridiculously simple solution as well.

Ted Have you tried it this way now.

Mark
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
mike at battleground, you are incorrect about the compression and so is your Honda friend. The EVO comes with 8.8:1 compression ratio. The EVO engines we build are at a minimum 8.8:1 compression.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Geez, I guess I've got to start all over again. Engine flowing 65 lb/minute, pushing 530 calculated horsepower to move 3020 lbs to 130+ mph must not be our limit. This newbie has a long ways to go.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
mike at battleground, you are incorrect about the compression and so is your Honda friend. The EVO comes with 8.8:1 compression ratio. The EVO engines we build are at a minimum 8.8:1 compression.
Have you tried to raise the compression? If so what have you found?

Quick Reply: Another new PUMP gas record, thanks Driven Innovations