Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another new PUMP gas record, thanks Driven Innovations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Guerillah
I think the higher exhaust manifold backpressure caused by stock style turbos will make the knock threshold lower than a big turbo that is more free flowing and has less backpressure.
That is somewhat true, but it depends on where in the rpm range we are targeting. The higher in the rpm range, the more so this will be the case.

FWIW, WRC cars use tiny turbos, the rough equivalent of 93 octane, 10:1 SCR, and boost pressures of around 40psi. Hmmmmm, how do they do that?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have no reason I've never bothered with pump gas in my car (for the last 1+). I guess for me and the 5 miles I drive to work, I like having 40 psi and 650+ whp all the time. I hate having excuses if the chance arrises to race someone, so the car is set on kill all the time.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
That is somewhat true, but it depends on where in the rpm range we are targeting. The higher in the rpm range, the more so this will be the case.

FWIW, WRC cars use tiny turbos, the rough equivalent of 93 octane, 10:1 SCR, and boost pressures of around 40psi. Hmmmmm, how do they do that?
Water Injection from what I have seen.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I just wonder how many more tuners on these boards will follow in DB's footsteps and try their prowess with pump gas magic. I assume the GOOD ones will.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DTM
Water Injection from what I have seen.
They do use a big shot of water (and enough ignition power to fire through it), but in a nutshell, the combination of relative low rpm usability due to the small turbo and the effect of long cam timing keeps the DCR moderate in the rpm ranges where the turbo is most efficient.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ted B
They do use a big shot of water (and enough ignition power to fire through it), but in a nutshell, the combination of relative low rpm usability due to the small turbo and the effect of long cam timing keeps the DCR moderate in the rpm ranges where the turbo is most efficient.
A little off topic but, I didn't realize you were running a TS 67. I'm doing some testing on a variation of one this week. Seems to be a nice size for TS applications.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
How many years experience do the following tuners have doing tubo EFI for customers professionally?

- Al Friedman
- AMS
- Sean Ivey
- 4WheelSlide
- Mellon
- Jester
im not saying this just because im tuned buy jestr. but im saying it out of fact.

jestr if i recall as been in the tunning game for almost 15 years and very deeply involved. he can probably tune more cars then anyone out there from a 2008 Evo X to the ford motel T. you name it im sure the man has done something to one. he can tune any type of ecu/standalone on almost any car as long as software is made. and i be leave the guy even makes his own software. just look at his degrees and long lists of accomplishments. no question jestr tunning has more experience in tuning then anyone on yor list.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that model T experience is going to pay off !

I'm kidding

I really don't like these chest pounding contests people want to create.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon

I'm kidding

I don't feel it's chest pounding but honest questions. Tuners whom people pay and trust with their cars should be open and forthcoming about their experience.

And likewise, if some of us spend around 30k or so to a shop... I think we should know what we are going to get. 400 atw and 600 atw on pump is a huge difference, and if us, prospective customers, see a difference, I think it's fair to ask why and get information.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon

I'm kidding

the point of that was to show the wide range of cars and tuning the man can do. dont get me started.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain
I don't feel it's chest pounding but honest questions. Tuners whom people pay and trust with their cars should be open and forthcoming about their experience.

And likewise, if some of us spend around 30k or so to a shop... I think we should know what we are going to get. 400 atw and 600 atw on pump is a huge difference, and if us, prospective customers, see a difference, I think it's fair to ask why and get information.
ok, you make a good point, I'll bite and off of the top of my head I've tuned:

evos
turbo dsms
turbo 3000/stealths
turbo 240s
turbo buicks
ls1/lt1 fbodys
vw
subaru wrx/sti

just to name a few

been at it since the late 80's and in the more recent years I've decided to focus on mitsu only and the EVO in particular.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Today replaced Radiator,with Mini AMS radiator the first one I got developed a small leak at the bottom of the core.
So that went well and also pulled the sparkplugs and dumped the oil.
The sparkplugs looked really good to and clean.Afterwards I had ran the car up to temperture on the highway ,pulled over to check the fluids and all.
My friend Ron gave me a buzz, Z06, (guy I was toying with before on my old setup),said hey petey I got these new wheels and different exhaust wanna play??
So I kept my mouth shut about my new mods and all (INTAKE) piping retune ect..,so I agreeed to do another pull with him,sorta like I did with SHARKBITE.
Well when it rains it pours,cause I destroyed him again,this time it was like bad though.
Ron just looked over at me and said I don't wanna hear it pete.So I said ok I'll just show you,opened my hood and he was impressed with the new Intake manifold 3 inch piping and T/B.He said in like disbelief all that pointing at the intake and all gave you all that extra PUNCH!. I just chuckled and said yea and I'm still on pump gas Ron.He just shook his head and walked away.
It is truly amazing how this car performs on just 93 octane fuel,actually it's still unbelievable.
Thank you Tom at Driven Innovations for such a amazing intake manifold,and amazing job overall especiallly the welding part,and David Buschur for tuning my car,if anyone in this country was going to be the first to brake 600 on pump gas only Buschur has done it (EVO),actually he made it look easy on the dyno.After meeting him personally a few years ago and doing allota business with him,David Buschur has built and tuned my car better and better and better everytime it only gets better everytime i'm there and has yet to let me down.It's really nice to get a phone call from your tuner the next day to check up on your car and give you great pointers to look out for.
Oh and just for the books I made 4 round trips 9 hours each way from home to Buschur's,and hasen't missed a beat yet on the same build.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So I see your ready to go get those steaks
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so impressive
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
So I see your ready to go get those steaks
Yes I am lol gimmie a shout.I see your car is running even better now,so we gotta cruise out to LI.

Quick Reply: Another new PUMP gas record, thanks Driven Innovations