Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another new PUMP gas record, thanks Driven Innovations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
well considering one of your last threads said you just finished putting jun cams back into your car im going to say yes.

my question is how come you dont run buschur cams in your buschur motor??
The cams in my motor are not disclosed at this time - the turbo size is not disclosed - the tuning parameters are not disclosed and my suspension settings are not disclosed

I usally share these details with fellow tuners like David Buschur and Sean Ivey etc when we talk in confidence and also with selected customers. I dont like sharing the details as I want to feel like I have an edge against other shops I may be racing against.

Usually, I spill all the details on what set up I am running every time it gets covered in a magaizne and they have me fill out a tech form

Since the car has already been in so many magazines I doubt it will be in any more any time soon

Al

Last edited by DynoFlash; Feb 26, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

well considering one of your last threads said you just finished putting jun cams back into your car im going to say yes.

my question is how come you dont run buschur cams in your buschur motor??
God I love this guy!!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
The cams in my motor are not disclosed at this time - the turbo size is not disclosed - the tuning parameters are not disclosed and my suspension settings are not disclosed

Usually, I spill all the details on what set up I am running every time it gets covered in a magaizne and they have me fill out a tech form

Since the car has already been in so many magazines I doubt it will be in any more any time soon

Al
and it would not be because david just said not to spill your mods and other info? cause that seems to be the same time you stopped talking and being informative about your mods with ifartd2 and others. up till this point you have always came out and straight with us. you was being real. dont stop now.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked E
God I love this guy!!

your one of few.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it comes to a subject - whether it be rock climbing, poker or making lots of pump gas power on a 2.0 L - I like to know the qualifications of anyone who offers an opinion.

How David Buschur can tune the similar set up to make 620 whp and last for thousands of miles is what makes him the best 4G63 tuner in the world.

Sure in the Uk they do a lot of tuning but they have a lot of slow cars also.

AL
Appreciate your reply and your opinions Al.

My opinion is that you are being a bit close minded. Those "slow" cars like Simon Norris in the UK... I think he did a 9.2 with street tires.. and not drag radials. So yeah I guess that's slow. Oh and let me see... he still runs that car in sprints and time attacks. Huh thats wierd isn't it...

But oh wait Dave Buschur is god so jeesh hmmm, this is not adding up is it?

In the USA, and in your mind, I guess if your stupid enough to destroy the powerband of your Evo with a massive turbo it makes you a genius. IMHO a good tuner would have figured out running more than 22 psi pump is possible a lot sooner than the people on this board. Bit slow on the uptake there all know masters of the 4G63!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
Account Disabled

and it would not be because david just said not to spill your mods and other info? cause that seems to be the same time you stopped talking and being informative about your mods with ifartd2 and others. up till this point you have always came out and straight with us. you was being real. dont stop now.
I already answered your question

PS - I dont disclose which oil I use - what weight - the piston ring end gaps and how much TQ I TQ the head studs to - I also dont disclose which bearings are used

Please don't derail Mr. Buschur's thread about making huge power on pump gas with all this nonsense

Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain

My opinion is that you are being a bit close minded. Those "slow" cars like Simon Norris in the UK... I think he did a 9.2 with street tires.. and not drag radials. So yeah I guess that's slow. Oh and let me see... he still runs that car in sprints and time attacks. Huh thats wierd isn't it...

In the USA, and in your mind, I guess if your stupid enough to destroy the powerband of your Evo with a massive turbo it makes you a genius. IMHO a good tuner would have figured out running more than 22 psi pump is possible a lot sooner than the people on this board. Bit slow on the uptake there all know masters of the 4G63!
When Mr. Norris chimes on with his opinions, I am sure that I will afford them the appropriate level of authority

BTW - I had many pleasnt telephone conversations with him back 5 years ago when we first got the Evo here in the states and needed tuning and engine building advice - he is a really smart guy
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain

Please don't take this personal, but all I ever hear out of the UK, in terms of well known tuners who have put out fast cars is Norris, Norris, and Norris. lol

Who else is there, what have they done, and can you please provide links.

TIA
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

haha...I love the drama...and whoever complains or says they don't is lying. Just check the post "viewed" count. LOL

Props to Buschur...Im looking forward to seeing how VWJeff's 9 comes out after DB works his magic!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

I love the X button... OMG that is priceless

That Was Easy

I need one of those.

Al GREAT job on the car
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Here are some pics of the final product after I installed the powdercoated valve cover today and made a few more cosmetic adjustments

BTW - for those curious - the spark plugs looked ideal today after the 775 whp pump gas pulls and the compression was dead even just as it usually is on a Buschur built motor

I am very proud of my winter project as it went directly from its service bay to the dyno without a leak or drip

Now its time to refine all the loose ends and head to the track
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Looks sick Al... GOOD LUCK

Originally Posted by Illrunya
Please don't take this personal, but all I ever hear out of the UK, in terms of well known tuners who have put out fast cars is Norris, Norris, and Norris. lol

Who else is there, what have they done, and can you please provide links.
I don't mean to inject this UK versus USA stuff all the time.. it is a bit mundane. But there should be a bit more respect given and so I chime in now and again. People forget about the motorsport knowledge in the UK. Where are all the F1 teams based? Also, the guys in the UK were running 32 psi when USA thought 22 psi was tops on pump, years ago I'm talking.

As for links and stuff, man there is just too many. If you have a passion for Evo's do some poking around the MLR... it was around well before EvoM. Check the technical archive for some stuff.

As one example of other than Simon Norris, check out RC Developments two demo cars... both are in the 900 hp range I think and one of them just went to Tsukuba for Time Attack.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=139078

And check Mark Shead built and tuned car... 2.3 bar on pump.. 600 hp... and look at the power band. That was a year ago. And it wasn't his first by any means.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...hreadid=140934

Also consider this, an engine Mark built, ran for 4 years in a customer car, and then this last year won it's class in UK Time Attack Not to mention the 4G63 he just mapped to 822 hp on pump. That is a SAFE 800 hp and a pretty frisky looking power band.

In short the UK guys are doing their thing and so are the USA guys... but you just got to give respect all around.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't normally interject on this aspect of discussions, but I had to take exception with crcain's comments.

Your observations of US vs UK tuners, well, obviously its a little skewed. In some respects you have some good points.

Understand that for awhile it was believed that the quality of gas in the US was different enough for many of us to be fairly conservative with our pump gas tuning goals. We were dealing with a newer design 4G63 engine, a new platform, new transmission, and had to learn many of these new things on our own.

HP numbers are more frequently measured in BHP, or if it is WHP, it always seems to be on a chassis dyno that we don't frequently see here. It makes comparisons difficult to impossible without "fudging the multiplier" with what is an estimated comparison value.

What was learned about the Evo's capabilities has been done in a relatively short time, in most cases by trial and error and testing the limits.

Your earlier post about high boost applications on pump and us not 'catching on' to what the UK has been doing just isn't true. There are MANY of us who have been running high boost, but have been reluctant to talk about it. Tuners also have to be somewhat conservative until their confident their work won't do more harm then good, especially in the USA where the name of the game is "blame others for your own mistakes" and the lawsuits that follow. As an individual, I've followed the progression of different technology, methodologies, and successes from all over. Since 2003, everyone has pretty much been progressing similarly.

I personally was surprised to see how much boost I could pump through my stock engine and turbo, but I was also concerned that I'd also have expensive repairs if I broke something, or someone else decided to copy what I was attempting and of course, breaks something. So I generally kept quiet. I'm sure most tuners felt the same way. Some people are just secretive and discovered these tricks and just kept it to themselves.

Pete has ridden in my car back in 2003, when it was very mildly modified, my car was unusually fast at that time.. I wonder why?

Okay, so I took a little offense to that post. Most of what is being figured out isn't rocket science, some may be faster than others, much of it is already known, just not widely talked about.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Al
What about the cam settings, are the disclosed? From the recent pic the exhaust looks slightly advanced as well as the intake
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

damn motor is lookin good!! good job on the valve cover!!!

Quick Reply: Another new PUMP gas record, thanks Driven Innovations