Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

release bearing came apart?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
release bearing came apart?

hi

i don't usually post here very often... but figured this would be the perfect place to ask. here recently i've had to replace a number of things on my ix mr (the usual tires, brakes, fluids). it just so happen to fall upon the time to replace the clutch as well. while having this done i figured i might as well go with a new flywheel (fidanza) and an exedy oem replacement clutch.

i'm not even going to attempt to act like i know what i'm talking about when it comes to anything regarding the transmission of this car. so bear with me :-) anyways, after taking it to the service center to get my clutch installed... two days after getting it back i have to take it back in because the starter is making a horrible squeeling noise and actually lead to me not even being able to start the car. originally i was informed this was just the flywheel breaking in and that it was normal. come to find out, that was not the case. so after they fixed the problem... it still makes the squeeling noise... just not at much :\ (i've since found out it's more than likely coming from the teeth not lining up correctly)

well i brush it off and a few more days pass and while going to switch gears one day the clutch pedal decides to not come back up with my foot and sticks to the ground so i get it towed back to the service center for them to tell me that it's a problem with the throw out bearing having come apart. this is where i am at now. after speaking with a tech from where i bought the clutch he assured me the problem must have been install related (alignment or clip not being installed into the flywheel properly)... however the service center is telling me that it's a manufacturers defect.

now i'm aware with out seeing any pictures (which i'll have shortly) it's hard to diagnose such a problem over the interwebs but... has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? would a release bearing just "come apart" for no reason what so ever?

note that i have not even gone pass the break in period for the clutch/flywheel (roughly 300 miles put on them so far) and in no way was the car driven hard. also, the service center has a great reputation from what i know. i've been doing business with them for years... they are actually a mazda dealership's service department. and yes i realize taking my mitsubishi to a mazda service center wasn't the brightest idea... but i've been a customer of theirs for quite some time.

anyways... sorry about the rambling. just looking for some answers from the community. i've already spent too much money on this car and now they are wanting close to another 1k to redo everything.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:54 AM

bump :\
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ah the fidanza starter squeal, I have the same issue with my fidanza flywheel. as for the throwout bearing coming apart, they should have replaced it when you clutch was being changed so maybe you got a defective one from mitsu?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:46 PM

wasn't done at a mitsubishi dealer :\ and it was replaced with the new one provided w/ the exedy clutch.

now the service department is telling me that the flywheel was the wrong type and too big (it wasn't... it was the exact model for my car). when i asked how they wouldn't have been able to tell that by preinspection... he said it had to be installed before he could tell. sounds like i'm just getting the run around
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you have the right flywheel, just remove some of the shims on the starter

Last edited by justboosted02; May 27, 2008 at 05:24 PM.