Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GM maf use and relocation possibility?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GM maf use and relocation possibility?

Recent turbo work has made me fed up with my IC/Intake pipe config. Here is the deal....

I was looking into Maf translators and such to run speed density, and my reasoning isnt really the stock maf, but the recirc pipe. I want it out of there, I need the space for other things, and it is generally a pain in my butt to remove/install and whatnot.

Would it be alright to do any of the following?

a.) relocate the stock maf to the UICP after the elbow going to the manifold but before the BOV, seems I could VTA with no issues and delete the recirc pipe, and allow a cleaner intake install. Would there be a problem or would this just work "plug and play" like, Im not sure if the maf accounts for the volume of air in the system and needs to be "X" distance from the manifold.

b.) Install a GM maf in the above config. What would be required to run the wider GM maf?

c.) Just run speed density, no maf. What all would be required, I realise a translator is needed to simulate the MAF, but I cannot find one that doesnt have some sort of built in tuning crap. I just want it to work like the stock maf.

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: Thinking about it, Im not sure the stock maf can handle being pressurized like that, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Jameson_IXMR; Feb 22, 2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run the std. MAF translator and a GM MAF in the intercooler pipe....no real need to go speed density - the blow through setup would work just fine and you can vta.

Just need to know how to tune it or take it somewhere who knows to to tune the translator and it will work well.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is the problem with that, could the Maf Translator (standard) be used only to supply the proper signals to the MAF and NOT tune? If so how plug an dplay is this system, I cannot find any information on it as far as configuring it to run in this manner. I would still like to tune via other methods.

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
There is the problem with that, could the Maf Translator (standard) be used only to supply the proper signals to the MAF and NOT tune? If so how plug an dplay is this system, I cannot find any information on it as far as configuring it to run in this manner. I would still like to tune via other methods.

Thanks
I believe you would need to wire it up per instructions, and even though they say it is designed to work just like that, ECU flash should be used to do some maf scaling.

At least that's what I came up with while looking into the same mod myself a year ago.