Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebraking with ACD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I think razorlab is right, I read somewhere that the parking brake disengages power to the rear wheels, but I think it was in import tuner or something so it is not to be trusted.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:32 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliMR
I think razorlab is right, I read somewhere that the parking brake disengages power to the rear wheels, but I think it was in import tuner or something so it is not to be trusted.
People! It says it in the cars manual that the emergency brake disengages the center differential. This is done so that when you lock up the rear wheels, you dont fry all your diffs and end up with a 10k damage bill.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
Yes there is a little black switch under the e-brake. When you pull up on the e-brake it turns the car into front wheel drive
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

+1, pulling the e brake is ok. I do it a lot on snow, ice and wet streets. I dont do it on dry pavement etc.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ifarted2
Yes there is a little black switch under the e-brake. When you pull up on the e-brake it turns the car into front wheel drive
omg. No it does not. Please re-read my post on the 1st page.

It opens the diff, car is still 50:50.

An evo is 50:50 ALL THE TIME. Even if flying through the air upside down, with the e-brake, on a lift, in the mud, crashing in a street race, all the time, every time, always.

C'mon ifarted2, I know you know better.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

An evo is 50:50 ALL THE TIME. Even if flying through the air upside down, with the e-brake, on a lift, in the mud, crashing in a street race, all the time, every time, always.

Just because it was posted on EVOM doesn't mean that it is factual or written in stone. I am pretty sure Paul knows better than most.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
Just because it was posted on EVOM doesn't mean that it is factual or written in stone. I am pretty sure Paul knows better than most.
It's from a Mitsubishi tech spec. I think Mitsubishi knows better than most how their system actually works.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...001/13E_09.pdf

Start on page 3. I will be awaiting my apology.

The only way to move it from 50:50 is to get a different center diff with different planetary gears. I dunno why this is so hard for people to understand.

Last edited by razorlab; Feb 23, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
On the 5th page (p. 65) it says that to facilitate hand brake turns, it weakens the center differential's differential limiting action when the parking brake is pulled.

As far as I can tell, in English, that means it basically becomes an open differential when you pull the brake.

Thus it is still 50/50 just without the limited slip ability.

Good find razorlab
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lucky13evo
i push in the clutch and yank the ebrake all the time lol. no broken parts yet.
Ricer
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

All i know is we had it on a lift and we pulled the e-brake and the rears stop spinning and the fronts were still going. Than we revved it up and the fronts would keep going with the rears not moving at all.

I use to try and launch with the e-brake and all i would do is front wheel drive burn-outs.
maybe mine was fudge up?

You know your probably right ill ask Lucas in the morning also He knows much better than i would

Last edited by Paul Nelson; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:33 PM
EvoM Guru

The ebrake is just in the rear, that might be why. I can yank the ebrake and lock up the rears and skid for feet if I tried hard enough. I have done it in the snow a bunch of times and the fronts where still moving... diff probably hates us though.

The Mitsubishi tech paper is linked above.

This shouldn't be argued about anymore after that.

If ACD could somehow reconfigure it's planetary gearset to change front/rear bias like a transformer robot, people would have been doing it long ago instead of paying for upgraded center diffs with different planetary gearsets that changed the bias.

Last edited by razorlab; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

The ebrake is just in the rear, that might be why. I can yank the ebrake and lock up the rears and skid for feet if I tried hard enough. I have done it in the snow a bunch of times and the fronts where still moving... diff probably hates us though.

The Mitsubishi tech paper is linked above.

This shouldn't be argued about anymore after that.

If ACD could somehow reconfigure it's planetary gearset to change front/rear bias like a transformer robot, people would have been doing it long ago instead of paying for upgraded center diffs with different planetary gearsets that changed the bias.
All we did was hit that switch so it would push in. Never really yanked it up.
But everything you are saying makes sense
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ifarted2
All i know is we had it on a lift and we pulled the e-brake and the rears stop spinning and the fronts were still going. Than we revved it up and the fronts would keep going with the rears not moving at all.

I use to try and launch with the e-brake and all i would do is front wheel drive burn-outs.
maybe mine was fudge up?

You know your probably right ill ask Lucas in the morning also He knows much better than i would
if the center diff is disegaged, or "open" and the e-brake is on, the rear wheels lock, the fronts are still free to do whatever... so in essence, if you dump the clutch with the e-brake on, the power will transfer to the front diff, breaking the front tires loose, travel to the center diff (which is now open), and just spin in there, but not transfer anything to the rear diff...... this is what im gathering from all of this......... so if this is the case, and that is what happens.... then to me, it seems like a 100/0 split when e-brake is on..... even though it really isnt

but in any case, doesnt seem to smart to me...... but i just dont like to chance breaking things, call me cautious