Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Adding a "cherry bomb" to my AMS TBE??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an Injen catback and I added a dynomax bullet muffler where the cat would be and it killed a lot of sound.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

i agree here.... i had a turboxs(resonated) with a test pipe and it was LOUD and droned like a mother. so i replaced the test pipe w/ a resonated test pipe. what did it do? it was still loud and still droned, just slightly less. honestly it was a waste of time.

so i replaced it with a B&B exhaust and put my original test pipe back on. B&B catback is nonresonated. so even though i lost TWO resonators, it still got quieter because i went from a JDM style to an oval muffler. its still loud but much more bearable now.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

You gettin tickets for loud exhaust Charlie lol
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeracer321
I have an Injen catback and I added a dynomax bullet muffler where the cat would be and it killed a lot of sound.
The Injen is very very quiet, but unfortunatly the way the muffler is designed (which is the main reason it is quiet) doesn't quite flow a full 3" worth of air. I had a friend that had one that had to cut off the muffler for a magnaflow when he put on cams, alky, and up-ed the boost because the Injen factory one didn't flow enough air. This guy has 500+ hp, I doubt he'll be finding a quiet solution anytime soon without lowering his hp and restricting some airflow.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoTec
Waste of time!!! It will smooth that horrid tone just a tad but your car will still be loud as *****. Just to give you an idea, my RRE stealthback is full 3" tb with ralleycat (12" resonated test pipe that just happens to look like a cat), a 24" perforated resonator, another 12" perforated resonator, and the biggest magnelfow straight thru muffler that can be fit on an Evo. Thats about 48" worth or resonator not including the muffler and its still loud enough that it shakes your pants when you stand anywhere near the rear of the car. I can listen to my music on low though and it doesnt drone!!!! Moral of my story is that any true 3" tb system will be loud.
That is good news , I just ordered a magnaflow #14419 to add to my TB .
The MR resonated test pipe made it a little less noisy and lowered the tone , I love it , it sound great when Iam by my self but it sucks when my wife rides with me (I swear my car is a woman and hates other women) . Its loud , rattles the interior panels and cant hear the radio/hard to talk .... So hopfully the mangaflow will hush her up (the car not the wife ) and make my life just great .
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP, if you want a quiet exhaust, get the Apexi Active silencer.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:21 AM

At the expense of a bit of power, a High Flow Cat would definitely calm noise down quite a bit. Ive tried testpipe, resonated TP, and HFC with the AMS TB, I dont really miss the extra power for no more stink and comfortable noise level for me

Last edited by Evobro; Feb 27, 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: not making sense...as usual..
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have the RRE stealthback as well. 3 inch Rally Cat (mini muffler that looks like a cat) 1 24 inch resonator, 1 12 inch resonator, 1 big magnaflow muffler. It is as quiet as it can be with a big turbo and cams.

Sell you exhaust and get this one.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Don't mean to turn this into an RRE Stealth thread, but RRE does offer a stainless version. 409 SS tubing, 304 SS flanges, 304 SS resonators, 409 SS muffler (all Magnaflow mufflers are 409 SS). Its about $125 more.
Good to know. But not many people sell the RRE, I only found 1 and his was not the stainless as I needed for Chicago winter salt. And RRE sells the stealth local only so getting it from them is not possible.

Well if I ever need to I'll just buy a 3" straight flow through muffler for more flow because the Tanabe has a 2.75" inlet. Not only that I'll probably add another wide body muffler to further quiet things.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
You gettin tickets for loud exhaust Charlie lol
yep...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

How about this? I'm not sure how well it flows, but people say it quiets the exhaust a good some. The sides have a spiral exhaust path while the middle is a straight flow through pipe. But i still think its restrictive unless someone can prove me otherwise.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

did you think about the greddy SP2 TBE exhasut theirs is a 3.15".
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Good to know. But not many people sell the RRE, I only found 1 and his was not the stainless as I needed for Chicago winter salt. And RRE sells the stealth local only so getting it from them is not possible.

Well if I ever need to I'll just buy a 3" straight flow through muffler for more flow because the Tanabe has a 2.75" inlet. Not only that I'll probably add another wide body muffler to further quiet things.
I'm not sure if they made an exception for me, but RRE shipped a Stealth (stainless) to me. I'm several states away from CA.

Probably the biggest straight through muff that can be fit at the rear is the Magnaflow 12589. 5"x11"x22" body. The usual one used by RRE is the 5"x8"x18" body. It easily fits. The 12589 would be a much tighter fit, I think mainly due to the length. I've asked RRE to look into making up a new rear section with the 12589. Haven't heard back from them yet.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

The Injen kit becomes loud when you add a larger turbo, it is very quiet on a stock turbo car though. My car is still somewhat loud on acceleration but when cruising around it is damn quiet with no drone.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

No words!

Last edited by EvoTech; Aug 28, 2010 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Adding a "cherry bomb" to my AMS TBE??