Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evolution Ebay Front Mount Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
I'm attempting to stay out of this.. but here we go....

Whats going to break on an intercooler.... Nothing... As long as it doesn't leak it works... I made 438 with this intercooler exhaust intake meth and intake... I'd say my $1000 was well spent...

When youre going for records the best will get those records.... If I was shooting for 500+ i would upgrade. Fact of the matter is when i built my car i had my ebay intercooler on it and borrowed an ets 4" to see if i can make more power. I made a little more power but i couldnt justify the cost for what i do with the car. In 1/4 mile i doubt ill see any power loss =-)

E-bay intercoolers aren't for everyone... You get what you pay for is true.. The fitment isn't the greatest but it does Fit. You might get a couple bent fins, but they're easily repairable. It wasn't long ago I was only a consumer, he'll i still am.. I sell what three parts lol..... I had to consider lets say the name brand is better, how much better is it? I can tackle an install no problems, so that wasnt going to hold me back... Thats the only thing that had me wondering if i should purchase it.

Cheers!

Sure on the dyno you can make good power with the stock unit... Its when your on the track when its 98 degrees and your logging temps up over 150! You want an intercooler with the design to truly lower those temps...

A normal street racer should be fine with a "ebay" one but put it to a real test it just wont compare... dynos are a joke when comparing "cooling parts" unless you have a wind tunnel.

Evan smith
Old May 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
Its simply saving a buck! We get "some" not pointing any fingers but some evo owners that are like the majority of the ricers, they **** on there own friends to save a buck ! I had personaly had a "friend" pretend to be in the military in iraq to get a catback exhaust $20 cheaper from another vendor just to find out it didnt include shipping! I was even going to install it for free! "Whats cheap and fast ISNT reliable! "

All this just to make 3 whp... Going cheap on the evo leads to one thing PROBLEMS, like INDY EVO points out... Sure it may never ever crack or fail but what if you go out for your first road course day and you get too heat soaked cause its cant cool properly then... BOOM! Your toast, happens all the time from going cheap on other items like coilovers or alky kits with improper failsafes.

To have an opinion about it being a good intercooler for cheaper is fine but to call David out on "ripping people off" IS not cool! He and many others are trying to make true power that lasts all day at the track.

Evan Smith
As I said before I never recommended this for road courses. My argument is for stock turbo and the everyday driver. I also never said he is ripping people off. It just isn't cost worthy in my opinion. Also making true power all day at the track is not what david does. He drag races evo's. This intercooler can be used for drag races all day too. Also this intercooler will never fail. We have actually dropped this intercooler at 70mph dragging on the floor and it barely has a scratch. That was enough proof for me that it was built solid. The guys in China weld almost just as good as us in the US. Not the most difficult thing to do.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure on the dyno you can make good power with the stock unit... Its when your on the track when its 98 degrees and your logging temps up over 150! You want an intercooler with the design to truly lower those temps...
Exactly what I was going to post.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Not blaming it on one person. But a huge chunk. This thread is not about that though. I just hate how he talks **** about chinese products when he is buying them behind everyones back.

Old May 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Its simply saving a buck! We get "some" not pointing any fingers but some evo owners that are like the majority of the ricers, they **** on there own friends to save a buck ! I had personaly had a "friend" pretend to be in the military in iraq to get a catback exhaust $20 cheaper from another vendor just to find out it didnt include shipping! I was even going to install it for free! "Whats cheap and fast ISNT reliable! "

All this just to make 3 whp... Going cheap on the evo leads to one thing PROBLEMS, like INDY EVO points out... Sure it may never ever crack or fail but what if you go out for your first road course day and you get too heat soaked cause its cant cool properly then... BOOM! Your toast, happens all the time from going cheap on other items like coilovers or alky kits with improper failsafes.

To have an opinion about it being a good intercooler for cheaper is fine but to call David out on "ripping people off" IS not cool! He and many others are trying to make true power that lasts all day at the track.

Evan Smith

That brings out a good point. I want to hear from members who have the ebay intercooler and road race their cars if they have ever had an issue on a hot day.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Whats going to break on an intercooler...where should I start... cores coming apart, welding rod left inside the tanks only to break off later, and if your lucky it won't be on the psi out tank on the way to be eaten by the engine. Have you cut one of those tanks open? You would not make thost statments if you did, and are you going to replace the damaged parts when the welds fail or somethimg comes loose and kills an engine...I don't think so. So let the buyer beware and look into the end tanks real well you might find some extra goodies left behind.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
That brings out a good point. I want to hear from members who have the ebay intercooler and road race their cars if they have ever had an issue on a hot day.
A lot of you are not understanding what is being said here. This is not an ebay intercooler vs buschur intercooler thread. This is about how well they work for a normal evo owner. A small percentage of drivers actually road course their car. The ones that do are either vendors or sponsored and have no reason to be running this intercooler. It is great for the everyday driver who occasionally drag races or does short sprints. Yet this is when the comments come out by the nut swingers on how it is junk.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
Former Sponsor

As I said before I never recommended this for road courses. My argument is for stock turbo and the everyday driver. I also never said he is ripping people off. It just isn't cost worthy in my opinion. Also making true power all day at the track is not what david does. He drag races evo's. This intercooler can be used for drag races all day too. Also this intercooler will never fail. We have actually dropped this intercooler at 70mph dragging on the floor and it barely has a scratch. That was enough proof for me that it was built solid. The guys in China weld almost just as good as us in the US. Not the most difficult thing to do.
I said it probably wont fail... However thats not true David personaly may not track his car but others do with his products! thats my point. I personaly have an ebay IC pipe kit as well as test pipe but for something that requires more engineering I would recomend someone who knows what they are doing and have the time to test the products.

Just as stated before sure the Magnus intake mani looks great but it looses power over stock! And its the cheapest on the market... Sure KSPORTS work great for the 3 months before you blow out the seals... But the hard parts on the coilovers work fine... but KW's last almost forever.... same deal.

BTW I track my evo all the time and I still use the stock FMIC works great! If you want to know I do pre intercooler water injection to act like a bigger intercooler! Works GREAT!

WHATS CHEAP AND FAST ISNT RELIABLE!
Evan Smith

Last edited by Vivid Racing; May 15, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Whats going to break on an intercooler...where should I start... cores coming apart, welding rod left inside the tanks only to break off later, and if your lucky it won't be on the psi out tank on the way to be eaten by the engine. Have you cut one of those tanks open? You would not make thost statments if you did, and are you going to replace the damaged parts when the welds fail or somethimg comes loose and kills an engine...I don't think so. So let the buyer beware and look into the end tanks real well you might find some extra goodies left behind.
The question is have you? I don't think you have. You are trying to back David up. The people who make these are not as incompetent as most of you make it seem. The welds on my intercooler look better then a lot of locals I have seen.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

A lot of you are not understanding what is being said here. This is not an ebay intercooler vs buschur intercooler thread. This is about how well they work for a normal evo owner. A small percentage of drivers actually road course their car. The ones that do are either vendors or sponsored and have no reason to be running this intercooler. It is great for the everyday driver who occasionally drag races or does short sprints. Yet this is when the comments come out by the nut swingers on how it is junk.

Honestly you dont need to TRACK your car to heat soak it.... Getting on it after sitting in traffic during the summer... hear in AZ 180 + in temps....
Old May 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor

A normal street racer should be fine with a "ebay" one but put it to a real test it just wont compare... dynos are a joke when comparing "cooling parts" unless you have a wind tunnel.

Evan smith

Of course... better example... A bolt on 8 will pick up around 1-1.5mph with just about any intercooler...

The cars i deal with are all mainly street driven and occasionally drag raced etc. I don't think for the guy that road races once a year hes going to need a giant intercooler, coilover and slicks. =-)

Like i said before, its not for everyone. That's why we have 20 different turbo kit options.. Someone can go ahead and buy every part possible and test everything back to back in a controlled environment and tell everyone what the best is and everyone would only buy that.... That's not how things work most of the time...

XS-power is another brand... Sure the end tanks look similar to AMS but the core is different, yet it works... With AMS its obviously going to be a nicer unit because it was hand made and 5 guys looked at it before it was packed and shipped. You know for a fact youre getting a good product and if **** hits the fan they will always take care of you.

I'm working on changing that. I really like the xs-power intercooler and it has worked well for me and the cars i've tuned with it. I plan on selling them soon because i think its a good product, bash me if you'd like, but then I'll say mine's 1/4 of the price can you justify the extra cost...? You'll be supporting a vendor and helping the economy =-)

Cheers!
Old May 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor

I drive my car every day sun, rain, snow, ect. it is not a 500 hp record breaker it is like most street Evo's. I could buy any intercooler on the market Buschur, AMS, ETS, HKS each has a track record for reliability and thats what I'm looking for. My intent was not to bash the imports, but to inform what could possibly happen. I'm sure there are hundres of Evo's running around with them and thats fine, it does not matter to me, but where do you go when something does go wrong?
Old May 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I said it probably wont fail... However thats not true David personaly may not track his car but others do with his products! thats my point. I personaly have an ebay IC pipe kit as well as test pipe but for something that requires more engineering I would recomend someone who knows what they are doing and have the time to test the products.

Just as stated before sure the Magnus intake mani looks great but it looses power over stock! And its the cheapest on the market... Sure KSPORTS work great for the 3 months before you blow out the seals... But the hard parts on the coilovers work fine... but KW's last almost forever.... same deal.

BTW I track my evo all the time and I still use the stock FMIC works great! If you want to know I do pre intercooler water injection to act like a bigger intercooler! Works GREAT!

WHATS CHEAP AND FAST ISNT RELIABLE!
Evan Smith
Yes it is cheap, yes it did make it faster, yes as the torture it has been put through cosmetic wise it is reliable.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Rev, I have I found a slug that did not fully get punched out from the hole for the psi out tube. My friend had a rattle and we couldnt figure where it was coming from untill we pulled the intercooler and found it had worked it's way loose so I cut the tank and removed it and welded it back up and he is still running it. I'm sure for the average street car guy on a budget they are fine, but if your not making alot of HP why change at all from stock. I don't need to back David up his results speak volumes.

Last edited by Indy Evo; May 15, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

4 Wheels Slide... Being a tuner wouldnt you agree that Customers should put their money to that which will benifit them the most? Say they have $500 should they buy an XS power IC or a water/meth kit? Wouldnt injection benifit them more? I say if your going to do it do it right the first time... also put your money where you can make more reliable power. Its the same as exhaust mani's sure they are cheaper on ebay than waiting the week down time to get one ported but it will just crack so you just wasted $150...

I drive my car every day I drag, road race, canyon drive and rape it on the streets, But I never go cheap on parts that way i know it can keep letting me do what I love to do.

Quick Reply: Evolution Ebay Front Mount Intercooler