Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im gonna have to say either buschur or cosworth. the cosworth head is out of this world in price though. i mean 4100 bucks for the head, thats insane.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:49 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

David,

I saw the pics on the "**** head work" thread on your website forum! That look pretty awful!

Do you happen to have the same level detail pictures on your Stage 3 Head? Or better... a before and after pics!

I am pretty sure that will help a lot of us that are considering different shops to do the work!

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There is for sure a big difference in head quality. The head pictured on our site actually had more problems than just the original pictures. The stem height on every single intake valve was off by over .040 of an inch. That head cost the customer $1900 when he bought it from the company that built it.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had several Buschur Stage III heads, both DSM and Evo. They were all quality work. I've also have an Evo Cosworth head, and two heads that Magnus Motorsports did. They are very nice, too.

I'm amazed at the JAM head photos. Wasn't JAM the company that was trying to diss COSWORTH quality just a few months ago here? Then they deny being the source for a head that has their stamp on it, that was shipped directly to CB? That's just embarassing...
Old Mar 1, 2008, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Rest assured that there isn't anyone here worthy of casting stones. I see glass houses, pots talking about kettles, etc., and et al.

What is most important here is consumer protection. The bottom line for ANY consumer is that when it comes to machine work that is conducted by hand, and for a (considerable) price, the best policy is ALWAYS to have it inspected by a third party that knows how to examine such things. I can tell you that many persons in this forum right here, right now have bolted on machined parts without so much as a second look, and I guarantee you all that some of these parts have hidden issues, as certain as death and taxes. I know, I've seen it, but most here won't. In fact, I've seen enough to have learned my lesson several times over during the past 25 years, and it continues.

And lastly, when I pay to have a head ported (especially by hand), I expect flow data for that specific head to come with it, and we agree to this in writing, in advance. If I'm not getting flow data for my head to verify expected results and flow balance, then I have no means of verifying that I'm getting exactly what I expected.

For those of you who know what it means, I say caveat emptor.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Ted B. bought a head of ours from another one of our customers (if I remember correctly) a few years ago and was no happy with it. I don't remember the specifics but I remember he got his money back on it. I'll step up to the plate and admit it.

I'll also put our head work up against anyone's. I wish I could remember all the specifics on that particular head but I can't. If Ted wants to discuss it, it's fine with me.

If anywone would like to race or have a little dyno competition I'm up for that too

I read EVOm and think of that one TV commercial where the guy comes out and says, "I'm not a real doctor I just play one on TV." EVOm has this: "I'm not a real engineer or race car builder, I just play one on the internet."
Old Mar 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

or.......I am not a real head machinest/porter,but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night Sorry for the O/T but I had to
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ that's confidence right there at it's best...
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
It's not my intention to single out anyone David, simply because very few vendors, even reputable vendors, have 'perfect' QA/QC where hand-machining is done, especially when it isn't done in house (and even when it is). Virtually every vendor has allowed something out the door that was substandard, and I'll bet at least 80% of the time it goes unnoticed by the consumer. My point is that virtually no one is innocent of such things. I've seen it for 25 years, and it hasn't suddenly changed.

My warning is to ALL consumers who think they can just bolt on such things without a worry in the world - if you don't have an educated eye to scrutnize it for all it's worth, then take it to someone who does. An dime of prevention is worth a dollar of cure. . . . especially when we're talking potentially thousands of dollars.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
I read EVOm and think of that one TV commercial where the guy comes out and says, "I'm not a real doctor I just play one on TV." EVOm has this: "I'm not a real engineer or race car builder, I just play one on the internet."
It's not my intention to single out anyone David, simply because very few vendors, even reputable vendors, have 'perfect' QA/QC where hand-machining is done, especially when it isn't done in house (and even when it is). Virtually every vendor has allowed something out the door that was substandard, and I'll bet at least 80% of the time it goes unnoticed by the consumer. My point is that virtually no one is innocent of such things. I've seen it for 25 years, and it hasn't suddenly changed.

My warning is to ALL consumers who think they can just bolt on such things without a worry in the world - if you don't have an educated eye to scrutnize it for all it's worth, then take it to someone who does. An dime of prevention is worth a dollar of cure. . . . especially when we're talking potentially thousands of dollars.
+1. And on that note I've gotten some A+ parts from Buschur Racing and some ones that had some real issues of fit and quality. I seriously doubt that there's a single company that does A+ work 100% of the time. What separates the better businesses from the lesser ones is how they deal with customer complaints -- for example, whether they step up and address them civilly and respectfully, or whether they attempt to make a mockery of the customer on the internet.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anywone would like to race or have a little dyno competition I'm up for that too

To the OP.... Buschur Racing

1-440-839-1900

**EDIT** for being a douche bag

Last edited by vwjeff; Mar 1, 2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Jeff but that's not our phone number! haha
Old Mar 1, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
+1. What separates the better businesses from the lesser ones is how they deal with customer complaints -- for example, whether they step up and address them civilly and respectfully, .
This is the bottom line, some succeed at this and others fail!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff

To the OP.... Buschur Racing

1-440-839-1400
Common Jeff, even I have all their info on my cellphone and I got them on speed dial too!

Phone:
(440) 839-1900
9:00am - 6:00pm Monday to Friday (Eastern time)

Fax:
(440) 839-5088
24 hours a day, seven days a week

Mail:
Buschur Racing
24 West Main St.
Wakeman, OH 44889
USA

You gotta love Outlook! Looks exactly like their website doesn't it....
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

not that i have already tried their head, neither that i have performed any measurements and testing on the head...
but speaking out of a very satisfied customer point of view..i was impressed with BUSCHURS quality of parts and service...i would go buschur anytime!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Jeff but that's not our phone number! haha
Originally Posted by LilRico
Common Jeff, even I have all their info on my cellphone and I got them on speed dial too!

Phone:
(440) 839-1900
9:00am - 6:00pm Monday to Friday (Eastern time)

Fax:
(440) 839-5088
24 hours a day, seven days a week

Mail:
Buschur Racing
24 West Main St.
Wakeman, OH 44889
USA

You gotta love Outlook! Looks exactly like their website doesn't it....
holy sh*tz

Quick Reply: Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?