Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:49 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

+1

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
That's how we do business, it's how you have to do business.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are pulling my head off and having it shipped to Buschur this upcoming week for a Stage 3 upgrade. I honestly can't wait! So in my case I say go with Buschur!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The cars at our shop that get built typically go like this. Order is taken, parts are all gathered up and then the customer is called to bring the car. The car is then taken apart for the build. As it's taken apart notes are made of what is wrong with the car. If there is something we missed on the build or something we suggest is changed we make a call to the customer and get approval. The car is re-assembled. I make a map for the car to get it to start, idle and run. I then walk off and the car is checked for leaks and other things by Steve and Daniel. When everything seems to be fine I am given the car back. It then spends quite a bit of time on the dyno. If there is anything that pops up while I am on the dyno another set of notes are made so they can be fixed when I am done or if it is something more major it is taken off and fixed immediately. When I am finished the car is road tested by someone other than myself so more than one opinion can be given on the start up, drivability and power of the car. If all is well they are called to pick it up. This entire project from the time we get the car to the time it is picked up is usually 2-3 weeks.

The point is the car goes through atleast 3-4 people/checks before it is returned to the customer. Two of those people are myself and my brother who own the shops.

I'm also very lucky to have a group of guys at the shop who do genuinely care about the cars and the customers. They don't just come in and go to "work" everyday, I think it's more than just a "job" to them.

It's like the difference between a Chef and some guy who couldn't get a job doing anything else but flipping burgers.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by reactionevo8
yea i was disappointed,i didnt even mention all the red fuzzys on and inside the head from the shop rags or the blue playdo looking crap that was all over the number 2 intake port....in all fairness though i didnt even bother contacting ams because it is just as easy for me to rip the head apart and clean it then it would be to send it back for them to clean...people just have to be cautious when they buy stuff because even reputable vendors let some substandard stuff slip through the door......

I can promise you the head did not come from HeadGames in that condition. We send the heads to AMS assembled, and that is not our assembly lube shown, we do not use cloth rags in the shop for reasons shown, and positively would never be sent out with modeling clay that is used to make an orfice for flowing the head..we cannot account for what happens after it leaves here.

But, I will admit the issue with the metal in the water jacket could be our fault, as I am not sure if you purchused this head second hand, or someone else worked on it, but I personally appologize for any inconvience it has caused. The heads get cleaned 5 times during the porting process because we are **** about that, and see no need to work on a dirty cylinder head. The metal in the water jacket comes from milling the head, which is the last step, and can sometimes be impossible to get them all out, and they work there way out during shipping. It's rare..but I admit it happens. No matter who you get a head from, you should always blow it out.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Dave, do you have any pics of your ported head?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HeadGames

I can promise you the head did not come from HeadGames in that condition. We send the heads to AMS assembled, and that is not our assembly lube shown, we do not use cloth rags in the shop for reasons shown, and positively would never be sent out with modeling clay that is used to make an orfice for flowing the head..we cannot account for what happens after it leaves here.

But, I will admit the issue with the metal in the water jacket could be our fault, as I am not sure if you purchused this head second hand, or someone else worked on it, but I personally appologize for any inconvience it has caused. The heads get cleaned 5 times during the porting process because we are **** about that, and see no need to work on a dirty cylinder head. The metal in the water jacket comes from milling the head, which is the last step, and can sometimes be impossible to get them all out, and they work there way out during shipping. It's rare..but I admit it happens. No matter who you get a head from, you should always blow it out.[/QUOTE]

yes i got the head directly from ams ,just got here on friday...from the looks of it they must have partially disassembled the head to flow test that one port because the assembly lube was only on the intake and exaust springs of the port that had the clay residue...overall im happy with the head but i was just disappointed it wasnt cleaner
Old Mar 2, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I do not have detailed pictures of our Stage 3 heads.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The grease on the valve/retainers is OK.

Dave have JaRRod snap some pics of my head tommarrow for viewing
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:34 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good! Are you going to post them in here?

Would love to see one finished! I am going that route as soon as I purchase my Race IC and like to see what I can be expecting.

Originally Posted by vwjeff
The grease on the valve/retainers is OK.

Dave have JaRRod snap some pics of my head tommarrow for viewing
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

that's a shame...maybe you could take some?

haha..I guess I type to slow, I press return and someone already asked!

Last edited by HeadGames; Mar 2, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

yes i got the head directly from ams ,just got here on friday...from the looks of it they must have partially disassembled the head to flow test that one port because the assembly lube was only on the intake and exaust springs of the port that had the clay residue...overall im happy with the head but i was just disappointed it wasnt cleaner[/QUOTE]

I will find out more about it tomorrow, I know it didn't leave here in that condition, and I am not sure if they had it flowed and someone else milled it and then sent it to you, or what happened...but I appologize ahead of time from HeadGames and AMS for it, it shouldn't have happened..if you haven't fixed it, you can feel free to ship it back to us and we will take care of it for you. I can send you a box with a return label tomorrow.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HeadGames
yes i got the head directly from ams ,just got here on friday...from the looks of it they must have partially disassembled the head to flow test that one port because the assembly lube was only on the intake and exaust springs of the port that had the clay residue...overall im happy with the head but i was just disappointed it wasnt cleaner

I will find out more about it tomorrow, I know it didn't leave here in that condition, and I am not sure if they had it flowed and someone else milled it and then sent it to you, or what happened...but I appologize ahead of time from HeadGames and AMS for it, it shouldn't have happened..if you haven't fixed it, you can feel free to ship it back to us and we will take care of it for you. I can send you a box with a return label tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

wow! i dont know if its really necessary to do that...the funny thing is the only reason i went with the ams head was because i knew you did the work for them,when i contacted you on ht(long time ago)about getting the work done, you told me to just buy it from ams because the had them in stock sowhen the time came i did....i really appreciate the customer service though
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

hmmmm... where'd JAM go in this thread.....

weird
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfetter
hmmmm... where'd JAM go in this thread.....

weird
I dunno
Old Mar 2, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
Simply put that is called Quality Control. I am sure that every car that leaves Buschur is most likely checked and double checked by Dave himself prior to having the customer pick it up as it is the BUSCHUR name that is on it and if something gets overlooked Dave himself wants to be the one responsible. I know alot of other shops grew so rapidly that the owners only care if the Check has "cleared" and most likely don't even open the hood of the cars that are being delivered but it has been proven time and time again that Buschur Racing is not one of those shops. Keep up the Great work Dave as what you do is HOW a business SHOULD be run,putting the customers needs/concerns in front of the almighty $$$$$$$
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I'm also very lucky to have a group of guys at the shop who do genuinely care about the cars and the customers. They don't just come in and go to "work" everyday, I think it's more than just a "job" to them.
I saw this when my order got sent to my home instead of where my car was. Jim made sure he called the shipper and had them turn the truck around immediately and had them ship it right where I needed them in time for a dyno day. I cannot be any happier when I got the shop calling me letting me know what's going on and keeping me in the loop. Plus, I'm still using the crate the motor came in. Guys, the motor came in fresh wood, not only that, but it was bolted so well to the pallet, I keep joking that it could have fell from a plane and still survived. Just by looking at how they wrapped everything, the level of detail in my motor, you can tell they treated it like it was one of theirs and didn't just slap crap together, and I appreciate that! The entire motor was wrapped like crazy and took some time getting it out. I'm just some random guy trying to get a fast car and want to see the results show with the loads of money I spent!!! I'm not sponsored, paid, forced or told to say anything, I'm coming on here, not to nut hug, like some would say, but to share with all my experience. Over all, my major purchase I made with Buschur went better then I expected, and my $4,000 mistake, turned into a learning curve for me. I'm still making it my goal to go to Wakeman one day and shake everyone’s hand there. There's a damn great group of guys there!

Quick Reply: Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?