Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?

Who produces the best race head for road racing? Anyone here with personal experience in measured gains from putting on a race head from one of these companies? This will be paired with a 2.2L stroker engine and powered by a BR-GT3582HTA turbo kit. Looking for big gains in midrange torque and overall torque curve rather than just pure topend power for drag racing.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Im a buschur guy, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

http://buschurforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20796

I would take a look at this link before making any decisions. Just a little fyi for ya. Never had any issues with Buschur's work whether it was my car or any of my friends. Always solid quality and performance.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Cosworth makes a good head too.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There is for sure a big difference in head quality. The head pictured on our site actually had more problems than just the original pictures. The stem height on every single intake valve was off by over .040 of an inch. That head cost the customer $1900 when he bought it from the company that built it.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There is for sure a big difference in head quality. The head pictured on our site actually had more problems than just the original pictures. The stem height on every single intake valve was off by over .040 of an inch. That head cost the customer $1900 when he bought it from the company that built it.
I believe that's a JAM head being dissected on your website and I'm surprised that a reputable machine shop like them will make such elementary mistakes. I read that the stage 3 heads built by your machine shop are used on some of the fastest Evos around but can you tell me exactly why they are that good and what kind of gains can I expect from bolting one on? Been searching on this topic for the last few days and I know that almost all ported heads will flow more than stock but not all will produce gains. Especially gains that can be measured on the dyno rather than butt feel

I'm not into drag racing so having to sacrifice spool up or midrange torque for topend power is not acceptable to me. It has to be good for what I want to use my car for...road racing!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

I know the buschur head is really good for the money and as for power just look at all the cars running his head......enough said.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ecuflasher
I believe that's a JAM head being dissected on your website and I'm surprised that a reputable machine shop like them will make such elementary mistakes. I read that the stage 3 heads built by your machine shop are used on some of the fastest Evos around but can you tell me exactly why they are that good and what kind of gains can I expect from bolting one on? Been searching on this topic for the last few days and I know that almost all ported heads will flow more than stock but not all will produce gains. Especially gains that can be measured on the dyno rather than butt feel

I'm not into drag racing so having to sacrifice spool up or midrange torque for topend power is not acceptable to me. It has to be good for what I want to use my car for...road racing!
I would hate to say this but in my opinion JAM is over priced and in my opinion not up to the quality of Buschur

Buschur is of course my favorite

However - I have never seen anything but good results from AMS head work also

Therefore - I suggest Buschur or AMS for the win and JAM to avoid at any and all costs

Last edited by DynoFlash; Feb 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur FTW...period.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I had very good results with BR head.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buschur
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Dave
This is a huge disappointment, I know all about it ahhhhhhh $$$

Last edited by DS-03evo; Feb 29, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:24 PM

I have very good results with headway...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Cosworth head has shown to be a great head, however it is soo damn costly!! For the price i would go w/ ams or buschur, i hear only good things from those heads. But If u got the money, go with the cosworth.! IMO
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by andy hiralall
I have very good results with headway...
Its funny you mention headway as they are doing a project for me at this time in the Subatu project - very bespoke high end kind of place

Quick Reply: Time for a race head! BR, AMS or JAM?