Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR 5th/6th Gear Problem Revealed!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR 5th/6th Gear Problem Revealed!

I know this has been a common problem amongst many MR owners. Most of which who ignore the problem because it causes minimal driveability issues. I first noticed my problem when I attempted to downshift from 6th into 4th and realized that none of the gears would engage. I figured out if I engage the transmission back into 5th it appeared to "reset" the transmission back to normal. The problem got more noticable the more I drove and it became harder to shift from 5th to 6th without forcing it into place and downshifting from 6th into anything but 5th was out of the question.

The dealership finally tore the transmission apart and revealed a ring that had broken between 5th and 6th gear, not allowing the gears to fully engage or disengage (when I get the technical information I will be sure to provide this information). The fact that so many MR owners have this problem leads me to believe that this "ring" is defective? I feel Mitsu should look into this if so many are experiencing the exact same problem.

Luckily they are fixing it without question (even though this is my second tranny rebuild). Crown Mitsubishi in Holland, MI has been very good to me and although they have put me through hell diagnosing my drivetrain noise and the tranny problem, they are willing to do whatever it takes to fix the problem.

*Update*

So, Mitsubishi knows about this problem and there is a TSB out on it! The tech showed me the parts today. The parts that are defective are the rings that hold the syncro's in place (syncro key maybe? Sorry, I'm not familiar with transmissions). They are what appear to be 3 inch snap-rings that break. The tech ended up replacing 3 of them, 1 of which completely disintegrated and was floating around in the tranny (5th to 6th gear) hence the problems I was having down-shifting from 6th to 5th.

Anyway, I know of a lot of people have been wondering, so there you go! Anyone have the exact TSB number?

Last edited by Last4G63; Mar 18, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Updated - Current Info
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Last4G63
I know this has been a common problem amongst many MR owners. Most of which who ignore the problem because it causes minimal driveability issues. I first noticed my problem when I attempted to downshift from 6th into 4th and realized that none of the gears would engage. I figured out if I engage the transmission back into 5th it appeared to "reset" the transmission back to normal. The problem got more noticable the more I drove and it became harder to shift from 5th to 6th without forcing it into place and downshifting from 6th into anything but 5th was out of the question.

The dealership finally tore the transmission apart and revealed a ring that had broken between 5th and 6th gear, not allowing the gears to fully engage or disengage (when I get the technical information I will be sure to provide this information). The fact that so many MR owners have this problem leads me to believe that this "ring" is defective? I feel Mitsu should look into this if so many are experiencing the exact same problem.

Luckily they are fixing it without question (even though this is my second tranny rebuild). Crown Mitsubishi in Holland, MI has been very good to me and although they have put me through hell diagnosing my drivetrain noise and the tranny problem, they are willing to do whatever it takes to fix the problem.
Are you stock?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
Are you stock?
As far as the dealership is concerned I am.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

second tranny rebuild? how many miles on the car? im still on my first one with 40k miles... no problems.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jxs1984
second tranny rebuild? how many miles on the car? im still on my first one with 40k miles... no problems.
14k miles. First tranny had a syncro problem between 3rd and 4th, and now the latest problem (which I've found has been a VERY common problem amongst IX MR owners) is the 5th to 6th engagement issue.

Bottom line, the 6-speed is weaker than the 5-speed.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

*Updated See Original post*
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:16 PM

Thumbs down

Same here, still deciding whether to hold on to the MR tranny or go with a 5spd. If only the MR tranny were reliable, considerable itd be my weapon of choice.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:18 PM

Anyone willing to sell their 5spd transmission or willing to trade for a IXMR tranny
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

I would like to know if there is a TSB for this? Wouldn't they have to fix this even if you are modded?
Ive had similar problems for almost the entire life of the car. Its not bad but I can feel it.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

6 speed is weaker than 5 speed? I've heard and seen a lot of tranny problem with 5 speed too...
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

6 speed is much weaker than the 5. I converted my MR to a Shep built 5spd. I have a 6spd going up for sale. If anyones interested PM me
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

I have never experienced that problem at all and I downshift from 6th to 4th all the time. At least if this problem does show up I know what to do.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:52 AM

That's weird. In suby world, the 6 speed is way superior than the 5 speed..
Old Apr 11, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Intersting. I have not been experiencing this problem but now I will have an idea if something does start.

I think it is inaccuate to say that the 6 speed is WAY weaker than the 5 speed. I think if you look at the gears there are some differences. IIRC 4th gear thinner on the 6 speed but 1st and maybe 2nd are thicker. The main problems I have heard about with the 6 speed are heat related issues on the track. It doesn't have enough fluid and/or cooling capability for prolonged track use and as a result some people have lost 4th gear or had other issues at the track. I will probably end up getting a trans cooler of some kind to address this.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bwesley82
Intersting. I have not been experiencing this problem but now I will have an idea if something does start.

I think it is inaccuate to say that the 6 speed is WAY weaker than the 5 speed. I think if you look at the gears there are some differences. IIRC 4th gear thinner on the 6 speed but 1st and maybe 2nd are thicker. The main problems I have heard about with the 6 speed are heat related issues on the track. It doesn't have enough fluid and/or cooling capability for prolonged track use and as a result some people have lost 4th gear or had other issues at the track. I will probably end up getting a trans cooler of some kind to address this.
Check out the motorsports section.

Quick Reply: MR 5th/6th Gear Problem Revealed!