Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

This time, I am in need of help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get the version I sent you?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It didn't come through - maybe too big?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I don't thinks it going to work, but I tried sending 0.97 anyway.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you check out your wastegate?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, last night as I was falling asleep, I realize one mistake I made that may answer some questions. The ROM I'm using as a base for everything is the one that was emailed to me from the shop after the tune. What I realized was that I never actually DOWNLOADED the ROM from the car to use as a base and just used the one in the email. I had not touch the ROM in the car until yesterday when I did the Tephra ROM that was based on the ROM in the email, not based on the ROM already in the car. Since that time, I've had all these sputtering issues, but that may be explained by the fact that all 3 ROMs I'm trying to use are based off that one in my email, and I have no copy of the ROM that was in the car the day before. Of course, the ROM in the email was supposed to be the same as what was in the car, but maybe it wasn't.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds so much like plug issue. I would really try to regap the plugs to .18 just to see if the problem goes away. May even want to try throwing a heat range 7 in there. Cheap way to start trouble shooting.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Not to state the obvious but make sure the values in your boost cut table are all the way up.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:29 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Warr, nice to hear from ya man! Sorry for the circumstances though. What injectors did you use for the E85 tune, 1000's? First thing's first, get back to the basics: do a boost leak test. Make sure you don't have a leaky injector or something else.

Next, my money is on something goofy with the tune/rom you downloaded. Go back to the shop and get the final revision they put on your car, or ask them to re-email them. One thing I screwed up when I first did the tephra mods was I copied the entire fuel and timing maps, but failed to copy the scaling. Make sure the scaling is correct between your tuned map and the one you are trying to put on the car. With your mods you should be scaled to around 320 load up top, maybe more?

Next (but easy enough to check quickly), you swapped the plugs, how about the wires and/or coil boots? My wife had a 2002 lancer ES that was misfiring like crazy, I found a bunch of white streaks on one of the coil boots. These are easy enough to replace, should be done every few years just like plugwires on any other car.

After checking these, fire up your wideband and just log the car. See if your AFR is still reasonable, timing reasonable. Make sure you are not over-running your highest load cell on the map by using 2-byte load or referencing timing numbers @ rpm.

Other ideas: bad injector(s), failing fuel pump, bad FPR, leaky vacuum hoses somewhere?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
also I don't think gapping the plugs to .018 will help, .23 should be plenty small of a gap.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If 0.023 was the smallest gap, why not try 0.022?

Are you getting lean spikes with the sputtering?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:46 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

First I would try and run BPR on E 85. I had similar issues on an 8 recently. I would gap them to .021. The colder the weather the worst it will be.

On a side note, I had a 9 that had a very similar issue to you on PUMP gas afetr just installing the mod patch. Strange coincidence? Not sure, changed the plugs again and it went away.

Also, not to be a *****, but did you check that there are NO leaks whatsoever. Vacuum, EGR, FPR etc.

Sorry if you already tried this, just trying to help.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Scheides, your first suggestion is what I plan to do when the shop opens and is directly relevant to my last post concerning the fact that the ROMs I'm using now are NOT based off the ROM that was on my car when things were, but rather based off a ROM that was emailed to me from the shop. I hope that there was just a mistake and I was sent a ROM with a map that was not the final map on the car, but rather an earlier one that wasn't properly tuned yet.

- I'm on 850s
- I copied over the injector and MAF scaling, but even if I hadn't, I'm back to the base ROM that was emailed to me from the shop anyway
- Going to swap coil packs today with another Evo to see if mine randomly went bad overnight
- I plan to log when I get a stinkin version of EvoScan that works. 2.1 keeps logging blank values with timestamps for now
- I have 2-byte load ready in my ROM if I could ever get EvoScan to work
- Don't think the injectors are bad, since they worked during the tune and for the next day, but maybe something went wrong
- Going to do a boost leak test today in my garage
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
If 0.023 was the smallest gap, why not try 0.022?

Are you getting lean spikes with the sputtering?
Two days ago, everything worked fine with a gap of .026. Lowering it to ..023 didn't improve anything, so I don't see much reason to do a tiny change to .022. I can't tell for sure on the lean spike, because I still can't log. However, my wideband is reading 12.2-12.5 during the phenomen, which makes no sense to me, since my dynograph shows 11.7-11.9s across the board (I know the true AFR is much lower, but these are corrected for E85). If I truly am running leaner, then that might point to my issue of having the wrong ROM sent to me via email.

- I can get some BPRs, but what is working best for people on E-85? BPR8s or BPR7s. I used 7s in the past until I started running big boost daily, which is when I had to go to 8s. Would the same heat range with a protruded tip really make the difference?
- I will be doing a boost leak test today. Didn't have time yesterday - it was late.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

PMed you War. Check it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

E85 should do quite well with BPR 7s at 25 psi and below. Anything above that and you will need a colder plug. If your head (combustion chamber) Is stock I would try and use the BPRs on E85

Quick Reply: This time, I am in need of help