Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

This time, I am in need of help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to change to lamda on the uego, you just change the metal front plate to the lamda version.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the fact that your evoscan is not logging is weird. might be that you xml mods on you evoscan is messedup. you could also try loggin using mitsulogger first without and xml changes just to see if it logs fine.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tobz
If you want to change to lamda on the uego, you just change the metal front plate to the lamda version.
Actually there is a rotary switch on the back of the gauge that you change so that it will read lambda. Otherwise i would still readout in AFR.. 14.x, etc. When you change it stoich will read as 1.0
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ok, then I am going right now to get some BPR7s, and then I will start playing with tight gaps and see what happens. In the meantime, I am in dire need of a version of EvoScan that actually logs data. I've had 2 people try to email me the install files for .99 and .97, but they aren't coming through, so I probably need a hosted version that I can download from somewhere.

I sent you all the files you will need. I left you a message, so call me when you get it so we can discuss the things I found in your ROM, as well as the new one I sent to you.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

I was having a similar issue w/ sputtering and did everything you did (replaced plugs, swapped coil packs w/ a friend, etc.) It turned out to be a bad plug wire; something worth checking if you haven't already.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,052 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
I may have misunderstood your comment, but what is stoichiometric for E-85. Switching from gasoline with meth vs straight E85 would be a different AFR for stoich. Sounds like you could be lean due to the change in fuel. Just an idea.
This was my suggestion as well. 12 AFR seems a bit lean for E85 to me (if scaled for E85), but then again I haven't messed with E85 yet because of the lovely Republik of Northern Kalifornia.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

More details and comments from others who are trying to help:

- Lucas English said he gaps to .019-.020 on E-85, so those who are making that suggestion get a cookie
- He also said high 11s and low 12s are where I need to be for AFRs, so I don't think it's a lean issue, although I'll know more when I get some actual logs
- I have BPR7ES and BR7ES, but I need to find out what people think. I have DTM suggesting the protruding tip, but then I have a local guy who never got Ps to work at any heat range and now uses BR7ES with a COP with 0 issues
- It is much warmer today than yesterday, and lo' and behold, my sputtering is far less pronounced and even non-existent on some pulls. I still had a little bit of a hesitation in one pull, but the rest were smooth, although not feeling quite as powerful due to the warmer conditions. To me, this point it all back right at the whole load/boost-based spark blowout.

I have some files from Tom Klemann that I'm going to use now for both my ROM and for EvoScan to see if I can get the logging working. If that starts working, then the last piece of my logging puzzle is to get my AEM UEGO working through my serial-to-usb cable. At the moment, it can't find a driver to install to get it to work, and I don't know if it needs an AEM-specific driver or just a serial-to-usb generic driver. I'm going to search for that, but if anyone knows the answer, then please post it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I was having a similar issue w/ sputtering and did everything you did (replaced plugs, swapped coil packs w/ a friend, etc.) It turned out to be a bad plug wire; something worth checking if you haven't already.
Very good point.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Yep, that was one of the things I listed on the first post as a "to-do" item, but I just have to hook up with another Evo owner to get it done. Aren't the coil packs and plug wires one-in-the-same? You said you had swapped coil packs without any luck, but then it worked when you changed the wires? Or, are you saying that during the troubleshooting, you determined it was a bad wire in which case installing another Evo's coil packs/wires worked fine?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

I Could never get the "p's" to work running alky and 28 psi. They'd run OK for maybe 5 pulls before the missing would start. Been running BR7ES ever since with no issues . Don't know how relevent to your situation but thought I'd throw it out there.

**Also worth mentioning I'm running very tight gap. Between .018 and .020

Last edited by zbomb; Mar 10, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by razorlab
This was my suggestion as well. 12 AFR seems a bit lean for E85 to me (if scaled for E85), but then again I haven't messed with E85 yet because of the lovely Republik of Northern Kalifornia.
Actually 11.9 - 12.3 is perfect for E85. (Under the GASOLINE AFR value in the WB.)
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

People that suggest running 7 heat range are smoking crack.
You need 8, P or not is mostly your preference, although it is considered that the non-projected BP8 are a half step colder than BPR8.
I run BP8 right now at 27psi on E70 with no sputtering issues. Gapped at 0.22

My suggestion would be to get a fresh set of 8's, gap them to .20-.22 and you should be fine. Last time i had sputtering i had accidentally put 7's in while thinking i have 8's.

When it comes to AFR's - low 11's seem to work nicely. (on a gas configured WB with 14.7 multiplier, like we all have)
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by zbomb
I Could never get the "p's" to work running alky and 28 psi. They'd run OK for maybe 5 pulls before the missing would start. Been running BR7ES ever since with no issues . Don't know how relevent to your situation but thought I'd throw it out there.
IF you are running pump fuel and meth Protruded plugs will cause pre-ignition because of an over turbulent combustion chamber volume.
I am suggesting a BPR plug because of flame front speed. It works VERY well with a properly set up E85 tune. Even better with E98.
Normally BR plugs will require a bit more advance because of their relation to distance from the top of the piston to the edges of the combustion chamber.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
Actually 11.9 - 12.3 is perfect for E85. (Under the GASOLINE AFR value in the WB.)
That's too lean.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mplspilot
People that suggest running 7 heat range are smoking crack.
You need 8, P or not is mostly your preference, although it is considered that the non-projected BP8 are a half step colder than BPR8.
I run BP8 right now at 27psi on E70 with no sputtering issues. Gapped at 0.22

My suggestion would be to get a fresh set of 8's, gap them to .20-.22 and you should be fine. Last time i had sputtering i had accidentally put 7's in while thinking i have 8's.

When it comes to AFR's - low 11's seem to work nicely. (on a gas configured WB with 14.7 multiplier, like we all have)
No pipe here. The 7's work very well for moderate to low boost pressures. Over 25 psi will require an 8.

Quick Reply: This time, I am in need of help