Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

This time, I am in need of help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MPLspilot, the probem with that is that's exactly what I tried first. I put in brand new BR8ES's gapped to .023, and the problem is exactly the same. It really sucks that people are having such differing results. Just like you, my buddy locally is running the Green on E-85 with big boost and big injectors, but he could never get 8s or 9s to work, so he uses 7s now at 32 psi and no problems. I also am not having any luck with 8s at the gap you suggest, although I can still try to go lower.

I also was not able to get 7s to work on alky and 26psi, which is why I've been using 8s for the last 2+ years, but now I don't know with E-85.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mplspilot
That's too lean.
Do you have an explanation as to why you feel this way?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

That's too lean.
Lucas English says the opposite and agrees with DTM, and we all know Lucas is one of the best around for tuning on ethanol.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
MPLspilot, the probem with that is that's exactly what I tried first. I put in brand new BR8ES's gapped to .023, and the problem is exactly the same. It really sucks that people are having such differing results. Just like you, my buddy locally is running the Green on E-85 with big boost and big injectors, but he could never get 8s or 9s to work, so he uses 7s now at 32 psi and no problems. I also am not having any luck with 8s at the gap you suggest, although I can still try to go lower.

I also was not able to get 7s to work on alky and 26psi, which is why I've been using 8s for the last 2+ years, but now I don't know with E-85.

That's funny Warr, My experience almost exactly opposite. My car has never liked the 8's. Goes to show you have to find something that works for YOUR car. Unless you can find a route cause elsewhere, I'm sure I could get 8's to work but maybe it would take a ignition amp.

Some car's have stronger ignitions than others?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

The thing that people are neglecting is that the chemical property of unleaded fuel is extremely dynamic. E70 and E 85 are WORLDS apart. E70 will require a richer mixture. When running E98 you will experience GREAT results at 12.5.
I have extensive time with E85 as we actually tested our theory at a TT this past year on E85.
11.0-11.2 would develop rich misfires and bring power down almost 30%. 11.7-12.3 depending on boost, load and airtemp increased 20% over base.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by zbomb
That's funny Warr, My experience almost exactly opposite. My car has never liked the 8's. Goes to show you have to find something that works for YOUR car. Unless you can find a route cause elsewhere, I'm sure I could get 8's to work but maybe it would take a ignition amp.

Some car's have stronger ignitions than others?
What type and grind of cams are both of you running?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Lucas English says the opposite and agrees with DTM, and we all know Lucas is one of the best around for tuning on ethanol.
Last time i PM'd him, he ran low 11's.

Originally Posted by DTM
Do you have an explanation as to why you feel this way?
Yeah, i get knock. I also do not see any reason to run ethanol lean as it makes power at significantly richer lambda than that of gas while providing better heat removal. But that's waay OT

But hey, good point on more timing with less spark advance with projected tip plugs - i thought i was the only one that thought that, when i mentioned it in ECUflash forum
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
What type and grind of cams are both of you running?
HKS 272's
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

MPLS, when I sent Lucas my ROM, his exact words were:

-Too rich...needs to be in the mid to high 11s and touching the 12s does not hurt from my experience.
-Timing is too low.

My cams are GSC 272i/264e.

I have a fresh set of BPR7ES and BR7ES both gapped to .019 and ready to go in, but I am at the point of eenie-meenie-miney-mo on figuring out which ones to try. When I pull out the 8s, I'm going to gap them to .019 in preparation for re-install, since I do want to run 25-26psi ultimately, and maybe even more when I'm at sea level this coming weekend for the SCCA event.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Yeah, i get knock. I also do not see any reason to run ethanol lean as it makes power at significantly richer lambda than that of gas while providing better heat removal. But that's waay OT

But hey, good point on more timing with less spark advance with projected tip plugs - i thought i was the only one that thought that, when i mentioned it in ECUflash forum
Keep something in mind here about Ethanol. Charge temps and pressure is MUCH higher than running straight 93. It requires ALOT less timing in certain parts of the VE map to make power.
Also the quality of the E70 plays a large role. You have 15% more Hydrocarbon based fuel than E85.
I have seen even bigger discrepancies between E85 blends. Florida for example will have a different blend in comparison to VA or even further NE.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

-Too rich...needs to be in the mid to high 11s and touching the 12s does not hurt from my experience.
-Timing is too low.

I have a fresh set of BPR7ES and BR7ES both gapped to .019 and ready to go in, but I am at the point of eenie-meenie-miney-mo on figuring out which ones to try. When I pull out the 8s, I'm going to gap them to .019 in preparation for re-install, since I do want to run 25-26psi ultimately, and maybe even more when I'm at sea level this coming weekend for the SCCA event.
Interseting...
Also keep in mind that you live in a cold state just like me and E85 becomes E70 for the winter.

And again, from your initial post - you were using ungapped old/used plugs at higher boost. I believe you're a fresh properly gapped set of 8's away from fixing the problem.
Also if you wanna run 26 at sea level, shouldn't you try and run 27-28 at your elevation to see how it responds? You should also keep an eye on your IDC's with your injectors.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

-Timing is too low.

I know Lucas is the Shiit but,

How does he know what your afrs are?
Timing too low?

Last edited by tobz; Mar 10, 2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, guys, I still cannot log despite Tom's best efforts, so I really need to be able to download an older version than v2.1 somewhere. It's too big to send via email.

Also, I just found that the Injector Latencies are stock instead of the FIC 850 latencies that I gave to my tuner and that my tuner put in. They were not saved into the ROM I've been using, and I can't confirm that the ROM in there when I got off the dyno had the latencies or not. It would make sense that the latencies got messed up if the ROM in the car had the latencies and the ROM I installed yesterday did not have them.

Would stock latencies cause problems like this on FIC 850s?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Tobz, he's just basing it off the maps themselves with his best gues, but I know he can't really tell until I get some logs. He also probably isn't experienced with how our altitude affects things, but we'll all know more when I get some damn logs.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Clayton,

I just sent you my version of EvoScan that works...

Quick Reply: This time, I am in need of help