Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

This time, I am in need of help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damit, our mailserver isn't letting me send it due to the setup.exe.

It thinks it's infected with aids or something. I renamed it a bit to try again.

Shoot, try number 3 coming..
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:05 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ok, guys, I still cannot log despite Tom's best efforts, so I really need to be able to download an older version than v2.1 somewhere. It's too big to send via email.

Also, I just found that the Injector Latencies are stock instead of the FIC 850 latencies that I gave to my tuner and that my tuner put in. They were not saved into the ROM I've been using, and I can't confirm that the ROM in there when I got off the dyno had the latencies or not. It would make sense that the latencies got messed up if the ROM in the car had the latencies and the ROM I installed yesterday did not have them.

Would stock latencies cause problems like this on FIC 850s?
Depends on what the CC scale says. Do you now how you them scaled?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Would stock latencies cause problems like this on FIC 850s?
For sure. You need to adjust those latencies according to the E-85. hopefully you can get a version of EvoScan to work.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is just getting worse. I suddenly can't connect to my ECU through EcuFlash, and the car won't crank. This is a joke.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

This is just getting worse. I suddenly can't connect to my ECU through EcuFlash, and the car won't crank. This is a joke.
It sounds like the battery to me. EcuFlash is very picky with battery voltage, and if the car wont crank, it could be the problem.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, battery is now dead - f me sideways. Was doing all this stuff with the key in the ON position and forgot I now have a mini-battery. Unbelievable...
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like the rom was not installed right. Make sure you have good power on your laptop, plug it in. Then reload the rom.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, battery is now dead - f me sideways. Was doing all this stuff with the key in the ON position and forgot I now have a mini-battery. Unbelievable...
Jump it, drive for 30 minutes. Uninstall Evo Scan and EcuFlash, re-install, try it all again.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

No way to get jumped for a while, so I'm on hold with this debacle.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Bear with me on all the rollercoaster moments.

My driveway is sloped down from the garage, and then I live at the top of a hill, so I was able to jump start it old school style, then it didn't take long to charge back up. I then fixed up my ROM from tkellman with all the proper injector values and got it loaded with no problem (thanks Testudo). I then drove and did some boost tests:

- 2nd gear stopped sputtering, but I think that's due to warmth
- turned up boost 2psi and got minor sputtering in 2nd
- tried 3rd with increased boost and didn't sputter if I started my pull at 4k, but also didn't hit full boost
- If I started the pull way out of boost, it peaked up around 28 on my gauge and did the machine gun sputter briefly before continuing to rocket forward
- Did one more 2nd gear pull from 4k rpm with no sputter, so it all points to spark blowout at certain boost/load levels
- Next step is to stick with the 8s, but gap them to .019 instead of .023
- Then, I have someone coming over with a working Evoscan v2.1 so we can log
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
ohhh the suspense!!

you should write for "days of our evo lives"
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously, I had the same thought - it's like a soap opera for Evos.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Did you get that copy I sent to you over email? Did it work?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

haha no way to get a jump! i was about ready to ream you for owning a manual and not even thinking about push starting it until i read the post right after it i always go to the bump start first, then jumper cables as a last resort.

your injectors should be scaled such that you have lambda = 1.0 at idle. you should start by adjust the scaling to the general area you want it for the E85. with 850cc injectors with gas you would aim for about 10% below the actual size of the injector (similiar to what the stock injectors are scaled to... 513 scaling for 550cc injectors). so for gas, start with 850-85 = 765 as your scaling. now you know you'll need 33% more E85 just to idle at stoic, so take 33% more off that = 575cc should be your scaling. from there you'll definately have to fine tune the voltage latencies to get the car to idle perfect. once it is idling perfect do some pulls to see where your AFR's are at in part throttle and full throttle conditions. if you find you are overly rich all over the tables and need to lean everything out a bunch, instead of changing the tables, increase the injector scaling factor. if you are overly lean throughout the tables then decrease the scaling factor. i think 575 should put you pretty close though... although i haven't done an E85 car with 850cc injectors yet. your values in the fuel table should only have to change slightly to smooth things out. you shouldn't have to trim the entire table by X % to get ideal AFRS... trimming the entire table is done with the scaling factor. once the scaling factor is set to what you want it, go back and adjust the voltage latencys to make sure the idle conditions are still correct (they should be close, but might need minor adjusting). and repeat process until you are satisfied. generally idle trims can be set very close to ideal in 15-20 minutes. scaling factor takes a couple highway pulls and part transient condition driving to get right.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Any luck getting a different rom from your tuner? There has to be something that was missed when switching the roms around. Go through and double-check all of the weird values in ecuflash, lean spool enable/disable, maf scaling, etc etc.

Also this has not been mentioned yet I think, bad tank of E85?

Quick Reply: This time, I am in need of help