Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy HD or SD?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy HD or SD?

Whats up guys need some opinions or even some one with experience. Getting hta 35r installed soon i know im going to end needing a clutch. Im sure ill make over 400whp 93 oct 23-24 psi. Im trying to decide on a clutch
I have a friend of mine that has exedy hd which is loud but its understandable He told you should get the exedy sd clutch not the hd easier to drive with and feels like stock i hear ? Does any one know the exact difference of the two different types and have any experience with sd comparing the hd?

ix bolt on
cosi cams
hta 35r
pump gas

will bring to the track sometimes

stan
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HD ftw for sure! The HD can handle the torque and abuse you'll throw at it with a 35r, etc..
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Personally i would go with nothing less then the HD twin. Your setup has the potential to make a lot of power, and if you have the $$ i would say go with the triple just in case you plan on adding a meth and/or race gas tune in the future.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Hd...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

I hear that hd and sd hold the same power.
not true ?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 05:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one uses the SD anymore.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

ummmm NO, i've sold 3 in the past few weeks.

The SD is great for someone running a 20g/30R or smaller turbo. Driveability is like stock and it can still hold 450whp pretty easily. I mean if your gonna be drag racing the car ALOT go with the HD.

The HD is a great clutch as well and will hold more BUT if your going to max out the HTA 35R (40 psi/race gas/etc...) then the HD isnt going to hold. I had a regular 35R on 37 psi with an exedy HD and it was barely holding the power. Your gonna need a tilton GG twin or a tilton carbon, exedy triple ceremetallic or carbon, etc... If it were me I'd go with the tilton GG twin.

-Steve
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

No one that cares about effective use of their money uses the SD anymore. Rephrased.

The ACT HDSS can hold over 500hp easily so the next step into twin discs is the MM022HD twin EXEDY.

TTP-Engineering WILL NOT sell anyone a EXEDY MMO22SD clutch as it is a poor value to the customer when the HD WILL hold the power desired.

Tilton makes a carbon on carbon, a twin cerametallic and a hybrid organic and cerametallic combo.

TTP Engineering was the first to offer the TILTON products to the Evolution marketplace and has sold more Tilton twins than many vendors combined. We installed about half of them.

If a consumer was looking for a price competitive product to the MM022HD EXEDY, the cerametallic twin would be the closest match. The tilton would however be harder to drive, does not contain sprung hubs, makes horrible engagement noises from a stop and wear out rather quickly.

If anyone is looking for EXPERIENCED technical advice regarding twin disc clutches, pricing, power goals, please feel free to PM us directly.

You will hear no recommendations of $4500 "GG" clutches (whatever that is), no recommendations of insufficient clamping load clutches either. Our advice will come from first hand experience of installing, driving and racing everything we sell. We install about 100 Evo clutches per year.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

using the SD here.......

i have driven both the HD & SD. when choosing a clutch i went with the SD over the HD

although a small difference, the SD has smoother more linear engagement & tends to chatter less. it is also easier to drive in stop & go traffic as the pedal is not as heavy.

yes the HD will hold more for the same price, but there are sacrifices that are made & in my opinion, unless your drag racing or making some serious power on a 35-37r you wont see much if any benefit from going to the HD

Last edited by CharlieGsanD; Mar 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

well im not going to run race gas now nor am I going to use Meth as of now.
I'm pretty sure something might come in the future probably meth.
drag racing Maybe couple of times I would go not every weekend this summer.
I dont like abusing my cat lunching wise. I'm not going to lunch my car at every green light I see. Only track times. I think I'm just going to get HD seems like I would benefit more from in the future.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Call Exedy USA as they do not produce the SD unit any longer. I purchased one about 4 months ago,brand new and was going to upgrade my Pressure plate to the HD. I called Exedy and was informed that the only difference in the 2 was the pressure plate and it's clamping force. I told Exedy that I had a brand new in box SD that was purchased before the HD was available and was wondering if they would exchange the SD pressure plate plus what ever cash and upgrade to an HD pressure plate so that it would not wear out prematurely due to over powering it. Guess what they told me..... You can BUY a new HD pressure plate but we do NOT want your SD pressure plate back as we no longer produce them and we do NOT want to get STUCK with it as no one buys them anymore,sorry.
WAY to stand behind your product EXEDY...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

^^^
thanks for the info
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by turboDan
we do NOT want your SD pressure plate back as we no longer produce them and we do NOT want to get STUCK with it as no one buys them anymore,sorry.
That kind of sounds exactly like what I said above.