Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Opening up the hotside on the FPgreen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sending my FPgreen ported hotside to get re-ported by MIL.SPEC. I can take before and after pictures if you all like.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
I'm sending my FPgreen ported hotside to get re-ported by MIL.SPEC. I can take before and after pictures if you all like.
I'd be more interested in before / after dyno results (with no other changes) and then tuning observations rather than pictures
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
That's great but it's the same port as everyone else. What about the area curving around the exducer? Extrude hone can also do this without affecting the machined portion of the housing for the inducer and it will most definitely affect the A/R as was stated earlier. Has no one else considered this? I understand that most are already maxing out the compressor output of this turbo but what about the benefits of improved scavenging through the hotside. Thus making peak power more efficiently. Yes, it will be SLIGHTLY laggier but what if you could make the power that the green already makes at 35 psi but at 29-30 psi instead? Obviously translating to lower intake temps, a more efficient setup, and more power potential. I am a believer that there is more power to be made on the green than what we have yet to see. It may take some extremes to extract it but it can be done.

This raises another question......what about FP making some larger hotsides for those wanting more? I'm sure there would be plenty of demand from both future buyers as well as those that already have a green. Just because you put a slightly bigger A/R on the hotside, doesn't always mean you're going to have a laggy turbo. Look how fast it already spools. How laggy could it be with say a 12cm hotside?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
What is the nozzle area (cm2) taken from anyway?

All I can think of is the area in the throat of each scroll for example: 6.1 cm diameter for outboard scroll, 6.4 cm for inboard scroll, and 1 cm between them. These are the dimensions I got on an old 9.8 turbine housing I have and the math calculated to 9.81 cm2 so this might be it, anyone?

With careful dremel work I brought it up to 11.28cm2 but still hesitant to install it at this time
What you are looking for as far as how the measure it is floating around here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm#tn

I looked real quick and couldnt find it but I know its there somewhere. Can you PM some pis? I am curious about opening up my Green and need some pointers if you dont mind sharing
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Can you PM some pis?
Not sure if I can PM urine however eventually I can get some images made up that I'll be more than happy to share.

If I do decide to install the housing (don't know when) it will be followed up with another compressor/turbine backpressure video
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
pics*....hahaha
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the return worth the investment?

FP isn't going to produce larger hotside or coldsides. For three years they didn't even try to pull that off. Every healthy upgrade less the LT/GREEN was the result of mitsu releasing a better part.

The 9 and 20G turbos are already darn good. You can always port and polish parts to eek out a little bit more but you will still be limited to 50LBS of airflow with the current parts.

I would start looking at motor displacement before going off the deep end in search of 5whp to recover.