Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what clutch should i get?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what clutch should i get?

HEy guys since our clutch sucks,what kind of clutch should I get for my evo 8 ,i mean Brand...reasonable price not too expensive!any suggestions?thanks guys!
Old Aug 3, 2003, 08:01 PM
In Timeout

Exedy Twin Disc for around 14-1500
Old Aug 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

just wait for the ACT...

he said not too expensive...
Old Aug 4, 2003, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

What do you guys think about Clutch Masters Stage I or Stage II clutches? They're reasonably priced and wonder if they will really work on our cars. I'm debating on Stage I or Stage II because I don't race much and I do alot of stop and go/traffic driving and I certainly don't think Stage III is for me. Can someone give me their feedback because I'd like to buy one now before they are all sold out.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

i just ordered the stage 3 Clutch master actually...Im hoping to have it installed very soon... i'll let you know on that....why not interested in the stage 3?

-Shahul
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Stage III will have too much gripping power for m style driving. Like I said I do a lot of stop and go, and traffic driving plus this car is my daily driver, and I want something that will suit me best in my daily sriving situations and not so much the few times I race it.

BTW what is the deal with the throw out bearing? Does it come with an OEM one from Clutch Masters or is it aftermarket. The reason I ask is because someone said there are no aftermarket throwout bearings for our model cars yet.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

For those of you replacing your clutch....what do you expect to be the next piece to break down the line?

For the WRX it was stripping 2nd or even third from too much torque. The tranny case had a problem with expansion and would put shafts slightly out of alignment causing all sorts of mayhem. Never heard of diff or driveshafts blowing up. A combination of sticky tires and a few screwed up shifts (once you're in the 300HP + range) or launches and you'd be in trouble.

I remember the Eclipses messing up diffs, but that was after mega power. What kind of WHP/WTQ can the stock tranny, diffs, etc take on a DAILY basis without problems?

I still like the idea of ACT or someone taking a stock pressure plate, stiffening up the fingers (or whatever magic), for more clamping and using a stock disk. I was able to easily hold a 100shot (+ all other mods) on my old SE-R with a stock disk and beefed PP from JWT. I think that clutch lasted 70k miles. Maybe for reasonable HP increases and street use this might be a good solution. ?
Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking into ACT, they're a great company and ACTman is accually talkin to us in the clutch poll thread. They told us what was wrong with the stock clutch for free, they took a stock fly wheel, pressure plate, and clutch, ran some tests and found the week points. He also stated that the evo 7 pressure plate was stronger than our pressure plate and they still had problems with clutches going early, but maybe not as early as we have had. So im gonna go with the new ACT kit whenever it comes out! i don't have 1500 to spend on a twin disk.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

you can get a twin disc cheaper than that, but its so hard to get right now...I may have waited for the ACT, but it was RMR or clutch masters.... so I went clutchmaster since I hear so many bad things about the rmr 6puck... but again, I'll be one of the 1st with the CM kit, so we'll see...

-Shahul
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Iam using the Exedy Hyper Single. It sure is grabby. And I do alot of city driving so it can be pain. Lucky for me i got another car to drive to work. Its rated to 400bhp and i think its a good deal. But if you ask me, for comfort and strength at the same time, especially if you going serious on the mods, get a twin plate. HKS twin plate is good but it rattles when u clutch in.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

I got this from some websites selling the exedy hyper single:

This is a new generation clutch set for up to 400 HP. High torque can be accomodated and the weight is specially lightened to lower the inertia for the clutch disc. Same as the Cusco single plate clutch/flwheel combo (Cusco clutches are made by Exedy). This clutch uses a sprung hub 6 puck cerametallic disc, and the pressure plate features 1200 kg clamping force. Pedal feel is excellent. Clutch engagement is shudder free, though it is a bit on the grabby side. Clutch can be slipped, so no busted trannies if driven correctly! Includes flywheel. Does not include throw out bearing. Includes Flywheel

Hyper Single Clutch:

The Hyper Single Clutch is engineered to optimize performance for cars that are moderately modified, but do not require the clutch capacity of a multi-plate clutch. Similar to our multi-plate clutches, it has a forged aluminum cover that is anodized purple. The aluminum cover is stiffer than a stamped cover and therefore allows a higher lever ratio to maintain the pedal efforts at a reasonable level.

All Hyper Clutches come with a steel flywheel and a 6-puck cerametallic facing, spring center damper disc assembly. The disc is generally smaller and thinner than the OEM disc making for lower inertia and therefore quicker, easier shifting and less wear and tear on the transmission synchros. The higher clamp load and cerametallic friction facings give approximately twice the holding torque of the OEM clutch and generally higher than other single plate clutches.

As with all cerametallic clutches, the street driveability may be marginal due to chattering and harsh engagement characteristics.

An additional feature of the pressure plate is a series of turbine-like, air flow enhancing vanes that keep the clutch cooler under extreme operating conditions to improve wear life.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Where could one find more information about this ACT clutch kit?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

try PMing ACTman , i think thats his name...hes on this board...I think its a stock evo clutch with an upgraded pressure plate

-shahul
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know anything about cusco or hks both have a twin disk. I will be in the market for one soon!!!
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I have stage #3 Clutch Masters and it feels pretty much like the stock clutch. I haven't smelt any burning when i slipped it but will not be using this launch method as the 6000 rpm occasional dump approach is optimal for our car. Seems to grab better than stock but pedal pressure feels stock.