Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Beginning my engine build by Ron at Axis Power Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
A motor build cost isnt like buying shoes and paying for a name. Its paying for quality and YEARS of knowledge with that engine. Im not saying anything bad about the gentleman who built your engine because i personally do not know him or his work I have only seen the aftermath and have heard stories.

As for "costing a decent amount more" that falls into the category with the old saying of "You get what you pay for".

The mileage to get the car here isnt an issue.....We have customers send us cars from all over the WORLD not just the US. For example just yesterday we had a customer drop his car off for work from Texas when it leaves the shop here it is going back with him to Finland.

For those who do not have the time to drive or for the cars that are immobile we do offer a door to door transportation company that is very trustworthy. They take very good care of the cars they haul.

If doing a motor or sending your car here is something you would like to further discuss or if you have any questions please feel free to call me here at the shop, email me or pm me. I will be glad to help.
The problem is having my car 500 miles away when I have no other primary mode of transportation and I have to get to work every day. I can deal with it as a one time issue, but if something were to go wrong in the future or I needed additional work done for either maintenance, R&R or anything of that nature, then I have put myself in a situation where I do not have someone within a 300 mile radius(If I use AMS, Buschur is 542 miles from my house) that will have the proper knowledge of the build or the responsibility to help me out.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy the opportunity, but from a logistics standpoint I can't afford the transportation, time in transit, airfare, train tickets, time off work, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Go with BR he's local and is freaking proven.

I think its a no-brainer especially when trying to build your motor.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatguy
Go with BR he's local and is freaking proven.

I think its a no-brainer especially when trying to build your motor.
542 miles is local?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvor
542 miles is local?
For the peace of mind knowing that the job is done right and that BR will stand behind their work I think 542 miles is worth the trip.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatguy
For the peace of mind knowing that the job is done right and that BR will stand behind their work I think 542 miles is worth the trip.
Different strokes I guess. It just doesn't make any logistical sense for me.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
For those who do not have the time to drive or for the cars that are immobile we do offer a door to door transportation company that is very trustworthy. They take very good care of the cars they haul.

If doing a motor or sending your car here is something you would like to further discuss or if you have any questions please feel free to call me here at the shop, email me or pm me. I will be glad to help.

https://www.countrywideautotransport.com/index.cfm
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
Account Disabled

Of course, I use Buschur motors in my Evo and in my customer's Evos with great success

However, I don't like to read all this crap against Ron at Axis.

For the record, I have been using Axis short blocks in many of my customer's cars without any incident. Also, when I was in Chicago my friends at P & L also highly recomended Axis as have many other Subaru tuners.

Axis has always delivered products in a timely fashion and products which work.

Al
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:46 PM
Account Disabled

A motor build cost isnt like buying shoes and paying for a name. Its paying for quality and YEARS of knowledge with that engine. Im not saying anything bad about the gentleman who built your engine because i personally do not know him or his work I have only seen the aftermath and have heard stories.

As for "costing a decent amount more" that falls into the category with the old saying of "You get what you pay for".

The mileage to get the car here isnt an issue.....We have customers send us cars from all over the WORLD not just the US. For example just yesterday we had a customer drop his car off for work from Texas when it leaves the shop here it is going back with him to Finland.

Actually I have found from experience that in most cases its vastly less expensive to buy a Buschur short block and have it shipped than deal with many "local" machine shops.

Of course dealing with the best 4G63 engine builder and tuner in the world is an extra benefit.

Al
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:31 PM

I live in South Africa and have seen the results of the Axis blocks on the scooby's here locally and all I can say is that its heartbreaking to see the guys pay all that cash for a motor and then end up with a car that uses a litre of oil every 180km's and just does not perform as expected or break within a couple thousand km's after installing it....

Based on what Ive seen locally, I would not touch an Axis motor....
Go with the tried and tested evo builds...

Evo's in SA are running AMS goodies and a buddy has ordered a Buschur motor

my 2 evos worth....
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Price in this case is about the same for both, minus the shipping costs of the Buschur or AMS alternative. That being said, I still would not have my builder local to me and it would be over 1k$ to R&R the engine if needed.

Minus the negativity that some have experienced from some examples of Ron's work, I have no qualms about letting him handle my build. There are many, many others who have had extremely good results from using his work.

Don't rain so hard on my parade, I'm excited it's hard enough shelling out this kind of cash because I have to rebuild, so I am glad I have a capable builder to deal with locally.

Last edited by tvor; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo9SA
I live in South Africa and have seen the results of the Axis blocks on the scooby's here locally and all I can say is that its heartbreaking to see the guys pay all that cash for a motor and then end up with a car that uses a litre of oil every 180km's and just does not perform as expected or break within a couple thousand km's after installing it....

Based on what Ive seen locally, I would not touch an Axis motor....
Go with the tried and tested evo builds...

Evo's in SA are running AMS goodies and a buddy has ordered a Buschur motor

my 2 evos worth....
Guessing you're talking about Johnny?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:30 AM

Guessing you're talking about Johnny?
thats right.....
very good friend of mine....he's power mad at the moment
he's car as it stands now is probably the strongest evo here but he wants more...question is when is it ever enough....

quick question..sorry for the thread hijack
Is the HTA3076 kit available yet with equal length headers?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo9SA
thats right.....
very good friend of mine....he's power mad at the moment
he's car as it stands now is probably the strongest evo here but he wants more...question is when is it ever enough....

quick question..sorry for the thread hijack
Is the HTA3076 kit available yet with equal length headers?
Yeah Johnny seems like a good guy. Ive been dealing with him since he first inquired about it. The ball is now rolling.

3076... I'll PM you so we dont hi-jack the thread.
Old May 19, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

By the way I am breaking this in right now. The car feels awesome. Very smooth and it sounds great. can't wait to get some more mileage on it then take it up to AMS for my tune.

Forgot to add. The engine is very very smooth. I am very glad I did the Balance shaft Elimination kit from AMS. With the balanced assembly everything idles like glass. I could set a glass of wine on that engine without a problem. I got a new front lower mount as well (BLOX Engine roll stopper) and that brings a lot more engine noise into the cabin, but luckily that's a great noise to have. The piston noise is barely noticeable on cold start, I think the motor actually makes less mechanical noise than it did before the build.

Last edited by tvor; May 19, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:58 PM

Good to hear its up and running without issue.

Quick Reply: Beginning my engine build by Ron at Axis Power Tuning