Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pressure Plate Wedge Collar Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pressure Plate Wedge Collar Question

Greetings,

I recently damaged my ACT pressure plate wedge collar and ACT basically said that I need to get a new pressure plate because they don't sell the wedge collar by itself. Now, here is my question: Does anyone know if the factory pressure plate wedge collar is the same as the ACT? The reason why I am asking this is because a factory pressure plate comes with the wedge collar and is about $168 vs. the ACT Heavy duty pressure plate which is about $374 at lancershop.com. From what I can tell my ACT pressure plate did not get damaged.

Thank you in advance for your help, this is my first post and have searched.

Alex
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Which portion is the wedge collar? The piece that is attached to the fingers on the PP or the basket and clip that pop into that?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:15 PM

Hi, I am talking about the piece that pops out, usually if you are not careful it falls when trying to reinstall the tranny. The other piece is still attached to the fingers of the pressure plate.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
Account Disabled

or i could sell you an act one i have, that would save you alot of money.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:22 PM

Is it new? Is there any difference between the ACT and the factory?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:39 PM

BTW, ACT said that there is only one manufacturer in the world that makes these wedge collars, does anybody know the name of this company? It will be nice to just buy this part by itself since I know I am not the only that has experienced this problem before.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

We stock those at the shop. They are brand new. I am not sure where we get them. We have the clips, baskets and wavy washers all there. I am not sure if we have sold them over the counter or not. I would suggest calling Eric in the morning and asking him if we could sell you one.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:16 PM

Great! That is good to know. Are you with AMS? Should I call AMS and ask for Eric in the morning? I noticed you have two websites and I was not sure which one to contact. Thanks again for all your help!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alcrisulate
Great! That is good to know. Are you with AMS? Should I call AMS and ask for Eric in the morning? I noticed you have two websites and I was not sure which one to contact. Thanks again for all your help!
Yes, AMS. Call and ask for Eric. 847-709-0530

I will try to let him know you are going to be calling so he can get his ducks in a row.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If ACT won't sell you a part that is known to be problematic in order to return their clutch to working order, that's a short sighted business practice.

ACT is represented on this board, as I recall. I'd suggest contacting him directly and seeing if this is really ACT's policy.

In the meantime, AMS may be able to solve your problem. Kudos to them.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:09 AM

Thank you to all for your assistance.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

what did you do with the one you took out of the car on the original clutch? it should be identical, and assuming you didn't mangle it taking the tranny off, you can reuse that one.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greetings,

I recently damaged my ACT pressure plate wedge collar and ACT basically said that I need to get a new pressure plate because they don't sell the wedge collar by itself. Now, here is my question: Does anyone know if the factory pressure plate wedge collar is the same as the ACT? The reason why I am asking this is because a factory pressure plate comes with the wedge collar and is about $168 vs. the ACT Heavy duty pressure plate which is about $374 at lancershop.com. From what I can tell my ACT pressure plate did not get damaged.

Thank you in advance for your help, this is my first post and have searched.

Alex
I'm pretty certain what we said is that we cannot get the part separately and as such it would mean taking one off of a new pressure plate to give it to you, rendering the new pressure plate useless.

I'm also pretty certain that we would have suggested using the one off of the factory pressure plate you took out of the car, since they are the same. I would have gone as far as suggesting to call around to a few of the Evo specific shops to get one since they are usually discarded with the old factory pressure plate.

Is it new? Is there any difference between the ACT and the factory?
There is no difference between the two.

BTW, ACT said that there is only one manufacturer in the world that makes these wedge collars, does anybody know the name of this company? It will be nice to just buy this part by itself since I know I am not the only that has experienced this problem before.
The collar and release bearing assembly is designed patented and made by Exedy

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
If ACT won't sell you a part that is known to be problematic in order to return their clutch to working order, that's a short sighted business practice.

ACT is represented on this board, as I recall. I'd suggest contacting him directly and seeing if this is really ACT's policy.

In the meantime, AMS may be able to solve your problem. Kudos to them.
Please see my first answer at the top. This is not a policy, it's a simple case of us not being able to get a part sold to us individually. This is more of an Exedy policy towards us as a competitor . We'd glady buy and stock the part if we could. After all we sell replacement parts for just about everything we sell.