Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Biggest Turbo Kit that has no lag, stock spool ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
TME and even fairly aggressive cams doesnt seem to be too bad.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Thats apples to oranges though, we are talking about a 58mm with a different housing and smaller wheel with less inertia. To keep this tech though, how much boost are you seeing at lets say something nice and benchmark like 4k? I am curious about the differences between the 61 and the 58mm wheels. Also I am curious about which 280's you have?
You are correct wasn't trying to say mine should spool up even faster but doesn't; but I doubt SSandL is getting that kind of boost at 3900. That's good spool for an FP green. I just get so sick of the misinformation online where people exaggerate about spool up times and it just leads to disappointment and false hopes.

Assuming I go WOT at 2500 like on a dyno run at 4k I will probably be somewhere around 10-12 psi. I don't have any logs and this is purely from memory so don't take that as a fact. I never go WOT below 4k so I don't have any information at that RPM level.

I have DTMotorsport Custom Grind 280's. Works with the Stock Valvetrain The 300s are a whole different story though

We saw 27 whp on an ETS 61mm on pump and 25 psi from just the 280 Ex. Cam.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
The ETS 58 with the AVCR set at 18 made 18 at 4k. SSL is only running 24psi peak I believe. I wasnt there when Lucas tuned it so i cant say 100% but I am pretty sure thats what I read and was told after the fact. I am going to check my logs of the 58 trim I did, but I know 25psi was low 4k. E85 also does some really funny things with increasing spool. Maybe thats the rest of the difference.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude seriously, more horse power is not going to make you faster on the autox course! You're not gonna get the answer you want, what you want to hear is someone say x kit will make 450whp on pump all day with stock spool with no meth or nitrous (cause its not allowed). ITS NOT HAPPENING! Honestly, if you want to shave time off your autox times, stick with a stock turbo, and spend your money on suspension, light wheels and good tires. 200 extra whp is never going to come as close to shaving off time like a proper suspension with the biggest slicks you can fit will. Do you want to be the guy who only hit 15psi on a 30r? You're doin beter then the 35r and 5 psi, but you're still getting smoked by 130hp miatas all day long. Spend 4000$ on a turbo, and have a really good chance of gaining time, at best maybe shave....a few tenths? Or spend 2000 on super light wheels with big fat sticky tires and maybe shave 2 seconds! That's astonomical! People will be impressed by that, not how much unusable whp you made on a dyno
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

double post, was on my pda, sorry

Last edited by evoPirate; Apr 1, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Just a side note, for the guys who haven't done autox: nitrous and meth, not allowed. More power means nothing. Light cars with proper suspensions and good tires are the guys who take home wins. Prime examples are seeing 80s vw rabbits and miatas bringing back better times then porsches, z06 vettes, vipers and yes, evo's and sti's. A good amount of your time is spent between 2 and 4k rpms, so if you're just hitting full spool at 4, it might already be time to shift, and your turbo is back down to lag area
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Bigger turbo = more lag = more hp.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:45 AM

If your going to be doing auto xing , using your car as a daily driver and would like something with more hp and still want stock like spool go with an fp green or buschur 20g (same turbo). You can even order the exhaust side (turbine) in a 10.5, 9.9 or 9.0 . the smaller the turbine the faster spool. Plus if you look at evo dans twin scrool 3076 the hp and and tq made are almost identical to a green.... So is it realy worth it to spend all that money get a turbo kit loose spool time and run same hp? go with the green you wont regret it.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

there is a company over here in the UK called RC devleopmenyts that working on a very intresting twin turbo kit. it uses the stock turob and then a larger one. not much, well any, info about it yet but they hopefully will be releasing some soon.

here is some more info on it.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=193196

also might be worth looking into what a guy on here is looking at doing.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=317044

cheers

Chris.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
Dude seriously, more horse power is not going to make you faster on the autox course! You're not gonna get the answer you want, what you want to hear is someone say x kit will make 450whp on pump all day with stock spool with no meth or nitrous (cause its not allowed). ITS NOT HAPPENING! Honestly, if you want to shave time off your autox times, stick with a stock turbo, and spend your money on suspension, light wheels and good tires. 200 extra whp is never going to come as close to shaving off time like a proper suspension with the biggest slicks you can fit will. Do you want to be the guy who only hit 15psi on a 30r? You're doin beter then the 35r and 5 psi, but you're still getting smoked by 130hp miatas all day long. Spend 4000$ on a turbo, and have a really good chance of gaining time, at best maybe shave....a few tenths? Or spend 2000 on super light wheels with big fat sticky tires and maybe shave 2 seconds! That's astonomical! People will be impressed by that, not how much unusable whp you made on a dyno
haha I agree. What happened to people being challanged by racing...you know: they have a difficult time with something so they practice and practice with the tools they have until they are a master at it. The so called "driver mod." But that's just my outlook. I'm just heckling you...

IMO, twinscroll 30R or a meth Green setup. Everything else is going to be much more topend oriented. What I would do on my own car? Green. They aren't that expensive for the gains and near stock spool rates.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:51 AM

OK my cheap butt is going to buy a used 9 turbo for $500 shipped and then I can trade it in to Buschar on the 20G-LT upgrade in the off season.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

OK ok, has there accually been more tests done on one car with the same turbos the difference only being the twin scroll? B/c i think its all BS. Martin did a test a while back that showed maybe 50- 100rpm difference in spool up with the twin scroll and it lost topend power.

It seems that most people on the forum just go by hear say and never go by the hard proof. I have seen over and over people who say "yea bla bla bla Twin scroll and HTA you should pick up about 700RPM! CAN YOU IMAGINE!?" *boom, hard on*

What part dont you people understand that the exhaust still has to turn the same size turbine wheel twin scroll or open? That wheel size alone will have the most effect on spool up.

ANYWAYS back on topic, if your not looking to spend a lot than the 9 turbo with a Green future is what you should be looking at
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
It is hard to get exactly stock-like spool with an aftermarket turbo but we can put together a package that will offer enough power before it reaches full boost that that car never feels laggy, and will have gobs more mid-range and top end power than with your stock turbo. Transient response between shifts and off to on boost response can remain very snappy and the overall area under the curve will be significantly larger, making the car feel much faster ripping through the gears when compared to stock. If you'd be interested in discussing the options from Precision, Garrett and FP definitely don't hesitate to get a hold of me!

Tom
Old Apr 5, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
It is hard to get exactly stock-like spool with an aftermarket turbo but we can put together a package that will offer enough power before it reaches full boost that that car never feels laggy, and will have gobs more mid-range and top end power than with your stock turbo. Transient response between shifts and off to on boost response can remain very snappy and the overall area under the curve will be significantly larger, making the car feel much faster ripping through the gears when compared to stock. If you'd be interested in discussing the options from Precision, Garrett and FP definitely don't hesitate to get a hold of me!

Tom
Now that is exactly what i want to hear... I will be getting in touch with you (unless you get in touch with me first). Is this on the HTA3076 I'm guessing?

Last edited by greatgonzer; Apr 5, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
[quote=CrackerJackToy;5484248]I personally am a very picky person. I wanted a perfect street turbo.

I personally chose the Buschur 3065 turbo. It fully spools by around 4000rpm, and im making over 420whp on 93oct.

Is this on Buschurs dyno?

Quick Reply: Biggest Turbo Kit that has no lag, stock spool ?