Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Biggest Turbo Kit that has no lag, stock spool ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
Is it true that I could get the 30R HTA and it would spool as fast as a 20G ?I have only rode in my buddies 50 Trim car (besides my EVO 8 /16G) and it has huge lag compared to my 16G stocker.
The 50-T, even in BB form, and the 30R's are never going to spool as quickly as the 16G bolton variants. There isn't a "Big" kit turbo with stock-like spool, minimal lag, and instantaneous transient response. There will always be a trade off between quick spool and topend power. How important is spoolup to you and what exactly is your ultimate power goal and for what intended application?

Last edited by sparky; Apr 6, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by greatgonzer
Now that is exactly what i want to hear... I will be getting in touch with you (unless you get in touch with me first). Is this on the HTA3076 I'm guessing?
PM sent!

Tom
Old Apr 7, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Green
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RevMoto
To answer your question yes they do make one. It is going to cost a lot of money. A twin-scroll 30r will spool the same as a stock IX turbo. A lot of companies are making twin-scroll kits now. I myself will be ordering my twin-scroll HTA3076 soon. On EvoDan's car he spooled up around 3800. Add the HTA to that and you should be around 3600. That is pretty impressive and will be the only way I upgrade my turbo. You are looking at 4-5k to get this done.
cant even imagine how much
Old Apr 8, 2008, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Our HTA 3076R kit in twin scroll configuration would be $4490 for those interested in such a setup

Tom
Old Apr 8, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The full boost and turbo lag is a very subjective issue. A turbolag is worst than what? or better than what? what mods do you have? what boost are we talking about?what altitude? what gear?

You can only and efectively compare two cars running at the same boost with the same mods but with each car running each different turbo. Then you can see what turbo spools faster.

A Evo 8 at sea level in cold weather with the stock turbo but with upgraded IC pipes, o2 housing and a full catless turboback will vastly outspool another Evo with the stock turbo, no mods and at 6000' elevation.. Nothing new right? that is the point, you can't compare them unless they are in same geras, same mods,same altitude, same boost,etc..

Uhmm..lets see we are cruising at 30mph in 2 Evos. One is in 6th gear and the other is in second gear, they both bury the gas pedal, who will have better spool?, do the opposite, have the other car cruise in second gear and the other car in 6th gear, oohh wow!! what happened?

Again, this post is going nowehere with such huge missing technical subject..

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 8, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
OK ok, has there accually been more tests done on one car with the same turbos the difference only being the twin scroll? B/c i think its all BS. Martin did a test a while back that showed maybe 50- 100rpm difference in spool up with the twin scroll and it lost topend power.

It seems that most people on the forum just go by hear say and never go by the hard proof. I have seen over and over people who say "yea bla bla bla Twin scroll and HTA you should pick up about 700RPM! CAN YOU IMAGINE!?" *boom, hard on*

What part dont you people understand that the exhaust still has to turn the same size turbine wheel twin scroll or open? That wheel size alone will have the most effect on spool up.

ANYWAYS back on topic, if your not looking to spend a lot than the 9 turbo with a Green future is what you should be looking at

I think Ted B has some interesting takes on this issue. PM him for his opinion. Very informative.

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
Our HTA 3076R kit in twin scroll configuration would be $4490 for those interested in such a setup

Tom
Would someone please explain what HTA is/means.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by ETS Tom

Tom
I dont understand that price. On your website the turbo kit is $2690 and if one wants the HTA3076 option it is an additional $800. $2690 +$800 is $3490. If one wants to add a tubular manifold then that is an additional $400 which brings the total to $3890.

So does the $4490 that you just posted include injectors and fuel pump? Or what other stuff are you including in the kit for that price? Just seeking to understand? Thanks as I am very interested in this kit.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
The 50-T, even in BB form, and the 30R's are never going to spool as quickly as the 16G bolton variants. There isn't a "Big" kit turbo with stock-like spool, minimal lag, and instantaneous transient response. There will always be a trade off between quick spool and topend power. How important is spoolup to you and what exactly is your ultimate power goal and for what intended application?
I guess that you can never say never! I should eat my hat! When I made my broad generalization, I overlooked current technologocal advancements such as the HTA compressor wheels and the Twin Scroll turbine housings which both reduce turbo lag and spoolup time noticeably.

A lot of people have pointed this out on this thread. The 30 series turbos are becoming increasingly streetable due to the Forced Performance HTA comp wheels as well as the Twin-Scroll housings.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:07 PM

how about gettting someone to make u a custom twin turbo setup that would be hot
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

stock turbo goes a long way
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tkdabb22
stock turbo goes a long way
Especially with Meth or race gas
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:59 PM

Ill continue waiting for someone to develop a kit that can make use the VGT technology that is out there. I believe the stock ECU may be ulitilized to control vane angles but Ill leave that up to people alot smarter than me. This may never come to fruition but I can hope.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Full Race good way to go
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I feel like the stock turbo is laggy already I could only imagine a 35R or bigger.

Quick Reply: Biggest Turbo Kit that has no lag, stock spool ?