Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll kits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Interesting.

Why do the pulses not need to remain separate until they are expelled?

Don't you think it would be difficult to see if there was an advantage to running two wastegates up top at only 10 psi?

If there was a scenario where two wastgate runners were superior to having one merged where would you see it in restrictions in venting exhaust at very high rpm/boost levels or down low for spool up, keeping the exhaust pulses from mixing?

Thanks for your response Nick !

I am just shocked by those results. Most every "big name" divided t4 turbokit runs two wastegates, I am going to assume this is merely for the ability to run low boost with a huge turbo?

Scorke

Scorke
Don't get me wrong, we only tested 10 psi to see how low it will hold a steady boost threshold. We have tested well into the 30's with it and found absolutely no problems.

Why would the exhaust pulse (gas) need to be kept separate any longer after they have merged? I'm not sure about the logic used by others to configure a twin gate setup. Not to say they don't have a reason, valid or invalid. Just saying that it isn't needed based on the data I have seen, found and tested with. the only conclusion I can come up with the same as you...to have better control of lower boost applications.

As far as restrictions with a merged single gate vs. a twin gate (separate) design.... I cannot in theory or practice tell you if their would be any issues with exhaust capacity. After all every open volute turbine and exhaust manifold turbo kit I have seen utilize only one gate. If there were an issue with capacity it would show in those applications as well. In the end there are some main factors to consider when designing a system. The right pressure differential, pre and post turbine, efficiently controlling peak and average exhaust velocity thru the head ports and runners all the way to the entry of the turbine nozzle. Evacuated gases whether thru a merged twin exit design or separate twin gates play a very little role in TS applications.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
Don't get me wrong, we only tested 10 psi to see how low it will hold a steady boost threshold. We have tested well into the 30's with it and found absolutely no problems.

Why would the exhaust pulse (gas) need to be kept separate any longer after they have merged? I'm not sure about the logic used by others to configure a twin gate setup. Not to say they don't have a reason, valid or invalid. Just saying that it isn't needed based on the data I have seen, found and tested with. the only conclusion I can come up with the same as you...to have better control of lower boost applications.

As far as restrictions with a merged single gate vs. a twin gate (separate) design.... I cannot in theory or practice tell you if their would be any issues with exhaust capacity. After all every open volute turbine and exhaust manifold turbo kit I have seen utilize only one gate. If there were an issue with capacity it would show in those applications as well. In the end there are some main factors to consider when designing a system. The right pressure differential, pre and post turbine, efficiently controlling peak and average exhaust velocity thru the head ports and runners all the way to the entry of the turbine nozzle. Evacuated gases whether thru a merged twin exit design or separate twin gates play a very little role in TS applications.
Nick, do you have any pictures yet for us to see??
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

When I have a " pretty looking " setup that is not the prototyped versions of our kits I will happily show pics. Right now it is under wraps until I finish what I believe will be the final revision.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Haha, sounds good bud. Well I'm looking forward to it. The prototype wasn't even bad looking. ;-) I took a ton of pics of it. The damn thing obviously performs well; and you consider me to be OCD.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Wait till you see this little twin turbo set up Im working on....
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

post a pic...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
Oh yeah??
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by YellowEvilEvo
post a pic...

to this

Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Lol!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks more like a t3 to t4 comparison to me
Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Liqquid
Looks more like a t3 to t4 comparison to me

that any better
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by DTM
Can you PM me an indication of your price for this? As I 'm very close to ordering the GT3071R twin scroll setup from ETS, but I'm always open to other options.