Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car will not go into gear when its running.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
most likely the clutch is not disengaging... when you can shift it with the motor off, does it feel smooth, or do you really have to force it into gear? where is the catch point that you feel on your clutch pedal? Any play on the top end of the petal? Does it grind when you push the pedal in and try and shift it?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good suggestion on the put it in gear when its off and try and start, a little brutal on the tranny, but it would tell you 100% if it was the clutch engagement or not... Not too sure about the shift linkage, if he can shift it with ease when its off...
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the excact same problem. Here's what mine does......If I start it in gear then I have no problems at all shifting through all the gears. Clutch doesn't slip or anything like that. If I stop and take it out of gear and let off the clutch then try to push the clutch back in and put it in gear it won't do it. It feels like the clutch isn't pressed in at all. If I then turn the car off I can put it in gear with the car off start it in gear and have no problems. I have tried starting in gear and it lunges forward, I have tried starting it in gear with the clutch pressed and it acts normal. If I have it in reverse backing up and as I am rolling back I push the clutch in it'll go right into first. If I stop then try to put it in first it won't go. I hope someone is able to help out with this problem because it sucks.
I am getting my clutch replaced in November so if we don't have an answer by then, hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well I ended up buying a new clutch anyways but Mitsu paid for the labor to take apart the trans and put it together and reinstall it along with the clutch I bought nad fly wheel. They also ordered everything that has to do with 3 and 4th gear shifting mechanizim. When they were doing that they found that the 3rd gear bearing was busted causing the grinding into 3rd. I still got a new clutch though..... hey if they are going to pay to put it in an new clutch why not right. That and it would take 3 weeks for the rebuild kit I couldnt wait that long . But that is the story of what happen and what Mitsu fouond out to be wrong as well. They were not going to do anything because of my mods but I got the manufacter involed pleeded my case and stuck to my guns and they squared me away. Thanks Mitsu.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

when I installed my new ACT HDG6 the stock pedal height was not fully pushing the clutch fork when fully depressed. Try having someone stepping on the clutch and see if the clutch is pushed all the way.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 03:15 PM

might want to make sure you have enough clutch fluid and make sure that it has been bled properly.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

just tonight this happened. went to the gas station fine, fill up, started it, then it was a pain to get into gear. feels a bit sloppy when in gear (shifter has more play). when the car is off it goes in fine, when its on, it wont go. how did you guys fix this problem??
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Remember low temperature might have something to do with this, let your car warm up few extra minutes...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Well I ended up buying a new clutch anyways but Mitsu paid for the labor to take apart the trans and put it together and reinstall it along with the clutch I bought nad fly wheel. They also ordered everything that has to do with 3 and 4th gear shifting mechanizim. When they were doing that they found that the 3rd gear bearing was busted causing the grinding into 3rd. I still got a new clutch though..... hey if they are going to pay to put it in an new clutch why not right. That and it would take 3 weeks for the rebuild kit I couldnt wait that long . But that is the story of what happen and what Mitsu fouond out to be wrong as well. They were not going to do anything because of my mods but I got the manufacter involed pleeded my case and stuck to my guns and they squared me away. Thanks Mitsu.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by romogst
Remember low temperature might have something to do with this, let your car warm up few extra minutes...
always let my car come to normal operating temp. had a buddy of mine swingby yesterday whos a big evo/dsm guy, so hes gonna help me diagnose the problem. already ruled out hydraulics, probably either the tob or the clutch.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kitten Killuh your avatar is joke right^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

OK well I am back and having a worse problem than before... The car will go into gear when off and when I am driving it will switch gears with ease but when I come to a stop and let off the clutch its a whole different story... I can not get it into gear.... SUCKS ...... I have adjusted to pedal and I have check the fluid in the master cylinder and all good..So now it sits in my garage and I can not get it into gear... What solved this for you guys
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Bump. I'm having this same issue. anybody?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the TOB
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sawgunner06
OK well I am back and having a worse problem than before... The car will go into gear when off and when I am driving it will switch gears with ease but when I come to a stop and let off the clutch its a whole different story... I can not get it into gear.... SUCKS ...... I have adjusted to pedal and I have check the fluid in the master cylinder and all good..So now it sits in my garage and I can not get it into gear... What solved this for you guys
I'm having this same issue... The tob is new... Have you taken out the pill? Would a blocked pill cause this?

Quick Reply: Car will not go into gear when its running.