Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car seems like it will stall when pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't belive this thread went on so long.

The gas stations near me say "turn off the engine before fueling."

What, do you think they put that sticker up just because they think it gives the gas tank 5 extra horsepower? It's what is requested and expected of you by the station owners. Follow the rules they set forth. It's not hard to turn the car off.

If you're worried about your turbo plugging due to oil cooling, let me ask you just how long it takes you to fill your tank. Do you put gas in a plastic cup and full it one by one?

Turn off the motor. Done deal.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

my goodness. Im surely not diving to the gas station with you, i may not exist anymore. id follow everyones advice.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:57 AM
jtc
Evolving Member

hehe. better getting your *** flamed in here than at the gas station, i suppose.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be the hundredth person to say this I'm sure but, who told you it was OK to pump gas with the car on?

No bueno.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jtc
hehe. better getting your *** flamed in here than at the gas station, i suppose.
Word, brother. Word.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down

OK folks...had to sign up on the message board just to add my two cents to this one (plus...I've been considering buying an Evo).

OK...so you're pumping gas while the car is running, so I can assume:

1) The key is in the ignition
2) The key FOB is more than likely attached to to the key, which is in the ignition, which is in the car.
3) The doors are not locked, because the key FOB is in the car and you would need it to get in.

So there you are, pumping away (note the ghey reference) and I walk by and see that you are enough of a dumbass to be pumping gas this way. I decide that I like your car and sprint over, jump in, and drive away. Bye, bye precious EVO.

Yes, while pumping gas with the engine running can be dangerous, it is probably rare that you will blow up while doing it.

So maybe you could care less about your *** catching on fire, but why not make the extra effort to shut the engine off so some thief doesn't drive off with your brand new, very rare, AWD, turbocharged, badass, fasta**** rally car?

...I guess you can't really expect people who pump gas with the engine running to have much in the way of street smarts though...

BTW...wouldn't a turbo timer resolve the turbo cooling concerns?

Cabo
Old Aug 8, 2003, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

People don't seem to realize that in some states particularly NEW JERSEY ... There is a law governing that prohibits people from pumping their own gas.. Therefore this scenario would not happen... That is why many people not saying all .. but many people just role into the gas station pull up and then ask the attendant to fill it up.... If i had to pump my own gas then yes most likely i would have to turn the car off in order to avoid someone steeling my car... But as of now so everyone knows because of the reaction of the car when pumping gas with the engine on I turn it off... Everyone happy now .... Not like I use this car often anyway, it may get filled like 1 time a month. But anyway this thread is getting old .... Yes to everyone point taken I've seen the news reports about ppl catching on fire.. But honestly most gas attendants here don't even say to turn off the engine. They will just pump away with the thing on... So who's at fault the driver or the attendant.. Thats how bad habbit starts when no one points out anything is wrong...
Old Aug 8, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

When I pump gas I leave the car running fill up the tank and then I lift the hood and wash the exhaust manifold off first with the remaining fuel that will round my sale up to the nearest dollar...I have found this works great for keeping that "brand new underhood" look going..it smells a bit though

I'm sorry I had to post something cranky as I can't believe I have just read a four page thread about NOTHING!!!AAAARGHHH
Old Aug 8, 2003, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this thread is exhuasted at this point so I am closing it.
There is not much else that could be said on the subject.