Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

553 whp, 93 octane, just another day at the office.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The turbo didn't last long? That is a very dumb statement, it was the used turbo off my RS, did you miss that part? That turbo was on my car for part of 2006, all of 2007 and now into 2008 and then put on Tim's car. The turbo has hundreds of dyno runs on it, thousands of street miles and more 9 second passes than I can keep track of. It was sold at a discount to Tim to help with the build, he is going to benefit from the breakage as it will be covered 100% and replaced with brand new.

Again, sorry Tim. As soon as we get any turbos in I will replace it, hope this week.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, the turbo lasted one year.... Doesn't seem very long to me.

Yeah you had it on the end of 06, but you also sent it back and got a new one on march 07. And within that year you car isn't always on the road.. Just seems like a short life due to pushing the turbo too hard? Or are people expected to get a year out of a turbo and then rebuild it?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
heres an idea man.... you buy it and let us know how it works

besides it been tested before with Al I think that the header makes more peak power over the cast manifold.
here is a better idea smartvwjeff!! STFU!!

i already have the kit..it is being installed...i just wanted to see if "master david" can get the same results out of the cast mani kit.

over n out
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The turbo didn't last long? That is a very dumb statement, it was the used turbo off my RS, did you miss that part? That turbo was on my car for part of 2006, all of 2007 and now into 2008 and then put on Tim's car. The turbo has hundreds of dyno runs on it, thousands of street miles and more 9 second passes than I can keep track of. It was sold at a discount to Tim to help with the build, he is going to benefit from the breakage as it will be covered 100% and replaced with brand new.

Again, sorry Tim. As soon as we get any turbos in I will replace it, hope this week.
Was it inspected prior to being installed and all looked ok? Or was there noticble shaft play etc. ??

I am in the market for a used turbo kit and would like to know what to look for.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dxbevo9
here is a better idea smartvwjeff!! STFU!!

i already have the kit..it is being installed...i just wanted to see if "master david" can get the same results out of the cast mani kit.

over n out

Do the 2.0 liter and be done with it. You've made about a 1000 posts asking which one to get. You've been told but a lot of smart people (David included) to get the 2.0 liter. I'm not being mean...just being honest.

"Master David" has also said in the past that the cast manifold kit will spool up faster, but the tubular kit will make more top end power.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gamebred26
Was it inspected prior to being installed and all looked ok? Or was there noticble shaft play etc. ??

I am in the market for a used turbo kit and would like to know what to look for.
When I dropped the car off, David showed me the turbo. Like any 5 year old with a new toy, I spun the turbo and I didn't feel/see anything out of the norm.

Like David said, this turbo hasn't exactly been making 20psi for the last 2 years. This is probably the most extremely pushed HTA35R out there.

Sometimes sheit just happens and I'm happy that David is taking care of the situation for me.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In for some pics of the blown turbo!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
Do the 2.0 liter and be done with it. You've made about a 1000 posts asking which one to get. You've been told but a lot of smart people (David included) to get the 2.0 liter. I'm not being mean...just being honest.

"Master David" has also said in the past that the cast manifold kit will spool up faster, but the tubular kit will make more top end power.
Thaxs Tim I knew I read that somewere

I guess some DB's just post STUPID QUESTIONS for the post points
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bioxide02
So, the turbo lasted one year.... Doesn't seem very long to me.

Yeah you had it on the end of 06, but you also sent it back and got a new one on march 07. And within that year you car isn't always on the road.. Just seems like a short life due to pushing the turbo too hard? Or are people expected to get a year out of a turbo and then rebuild it?

Hmm...
i somebody with an English racing banner in their sig, starting trouble in a BR thread..... I wonder if this guy realizes that it is a FORCED PERFORMANCE turbo?

Posts like these ruin evoM. If you can't say anything nice, sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.... ( my kindergarden teacher taught me that...

Lets rewrite it..

Will pushing these turbos to the far side of their effiecency and spinning them so fast, as I assume that over 40psi of boost would do, shorten the expected life span? What kind of increased loads would the turbo see and what effect would they have on it's expected fatigue life?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:34 AM
Account Disabled

I don't think we have enough data to make a determination, but surely 40psi is harder on it than say 30psi.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

either way buschur is replacing the turbo for free, you cant beat that customer service. buschur all the way.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
4G63DSM, I like your question.

I am sure that spinning a HTA35r turbo at 40+ psi (turbo has actually seen 50 psi on my car) will shorten it's life compared to running it at 20 psi. The boost is built through shaft speed, so 40+ psi on a turbo that size is a rediculous amount of shaft speed.

Tim's car was sitting inside when I got here today. The turbo inlet is off. The compressor wheel is perfect, there doesn't appear to be any damage. When you grap the shaft though you can feel the play in it. My guess is the shaft actually broke and the turbine wheel is no longer connected, that is my guess. We won't be taking it completely apart until a replacement gets here.

Also, despite what has been posted here. This turbo IS/WAS the very first HTA35r ever built and has NOT been replaced since I got it in 2006. This amount of time on a turbo is NOT typical but neither was the environment it was run in.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:59 AM
Account Disabled

nobody likes a part failure but I don't think anyone should be surprised that one let go...50psi haha that's got to be some tremendous speeds.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

where is my winning lottery ticket.. i need this stuff
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm on the buy now, pay later plan

Quick Reply: 553 whp, 93 octane, just another day at the office.