Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Norris Designs - 830 ft/lb @ 5700 RPM (Shearer Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I prefer engine dyno readings for a few reasons (and you will see F1, WRC, etc use these as well).

One is it good to see what your actual drivetrain loss is from the flywheel to the ground. I really do not think though that this car is losing 200hp through a gearbox. The frictional losses and heat generated by the absorption of 200hp would cook the transmission. Typically the loss is mostly a constant not a curve as I have observed in domestics that I have dyno'd both on an engine stand and then chassis dyno. The superflow that Herb sells is a very good unit.

To the subject at hand--

WOW, thats is completely awesome.
Without getting into a huge dyno debate... most of the losses are from the tires so I guess I should not have said "drivetrain".
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
You don't get out much do you?

Yes it's on an engine dyno. And maybe I am just ignorant, but it seems to me the most reliable way to measure power is via an engine dyno. I think one or two people in motorsport are fond of them.
Why is it impossible for you not to be a dick? You're like this in nearly every thread. It was a smiple question for clarification.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I will say that makes me believe spoolup like that is possible, is that if you watch some of these videos of the ND SWB Evo 9.. it doesn't seem that laggy on the track. And that is his last year spec motor which I believe is a GT42 w/Shearer mani. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.norrisdesigns.com/videos-evo9.asp
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Why is it impossible for you not to be a dick? You're like this in nearly every thread. It was a smiple question for clarification.
Ok first of all.. it was a joke. Secondly, look at you calling me names far worse than I have EVER addressed anyone on this forum. Third of all, if you look at what he first wrote (which you can see because I quoted him), he made a remark about the software needing to be calibrated. Which I had no idea what that meant so I made a JOKE.

My lord.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
An engine dyno typically loads the motor differently than a chassis dyno. With the motors we've had tested on a SuperFlow engine dyno, the powerband is pulled way to the "left" on the graph. The sheet posted is to be expected with that type of SuperFlow engine dyno of a 4202 powered 4G63. If this is like the SuperFlow we've experienced and it looks to be, the revs are brought up and the load matched, then the motor is loaded down and has to spin the dyno back up. This process produces very early big torque but if that is the case isn't comparable to the way a motor is loaded on a chassis dyno like a Dynojet.

Check out this video and listen for them to bring the revs up, then load the motor down before it spins the dyno up slowly which should help explain why the above graph looks like it does - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMe99fNU2wo

Tom
I have used a Superflow SF901 quite extensively for about 2 years and you can load the engine however you would like at pretty much any ramp rate up or down. I have seen videos of Simon running pulls on the Superflow, and from what I have seen, he ramps up, not down.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So is VTEC set at 7000rpms?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
So is VTEC set at 7000rpms?

It is a bit strange but I guess somehow boost was dialed in strangely perhaps via ECU controlled boost to kick in at 7k.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

What was the water in temp to the absorber at 7000 RPM ? As anything over 100 degrees the absorber will not hold a load and slip this will throw false numbers and would explain the jump in HP, TQ and Boost. Just a question, not pointing fingers as I respect Mr. Norris highly.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Good questions all. It'd be awesome to see Norris come on and talk about his builds.

Just to be clear. I have zero affiliation with Norris Designs. I just wanted to post up over here what I thought was a cool result.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

big power
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crcain
Everyone is so hyped about dyno sheets.

Can we make a record for best looking power band?

I mean this is ridiculous.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=198818

Maybe I am confused but I dont see the dyno sheet even reaching 800lbs. Did you botch the thread title or something?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
Maybe I am confused but I dont see the dyno sheet even reaching 800lbs. Did you botch the thread title or something?
Click to the thread on the MLR and you can see in more detail about the result.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
An engine dyno typically loads the motor differently than a chassis dyno. With the motors we've had tested on a SuperFlow engine dyno, the powerband is pulled way to the "left" on the graph. The sheet posted is to be expected with that type of SuperFlow engine dyno of a 4202 powered 4G63. If this is like the SuperFlow we've experienced and it looks to be, the revs are brought up and the load matched, then the motor is loaded down and has to spin the dyno back up. This process produces very early big torque but if that is the case isn't comparable to the way a motor is loaded on a chassis dyno like a Dynojet.
Hi Tom, when you say it pulls the powerband to the left, does it also "stretch" the powerband? Or is the width of the torque curve likely indicative of what that engine can produce?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I thought it was pretty funny myself

Great info in here on the engine dyno, thanks ETS Tom!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Hey ETS Tom... do you recall how Paul's car spooled when running the twin scroll GT4X turbo? How do you think it would have spooled with a 2.4 litre motor?

Quick Reply: Norris Designs - 830 ft/lb @ 5700 RPM (Shearer Manifold)