Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Norris Designs - 830 ft/lb @ 5700 RPM (Shearer Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Enzo, Do you think it is possible when the absorber slips it lets the engine free spool for a moment and that is why the boost jumped and it made power in 300 RPM ? I know on high torque n/a applications I have seen a slip and the engine lost power but with the turbo what do you think.
With a turbo when you lose the load you also lose the boost...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Enzo, I saw Simon's post and it pretty much explains what happened, he turned up the boost to 3 bar.Thanks

Last edited by Indy Evo; Apr 13, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

yet mopre amazing work by simon! he really is pushing the bost out on these builds.

dont forget this is not for his own car...its for a customer! lol

also he has built several of these engines over the past year! they are not one offs like with some builders. they dont have to run ally rods to stay together. they can be run on the street no problems (just turn the boost down so you can get some tractions). they last and last (NDs own engine lasted at similar specs for over 2 years of VERY HARD running)......

mosses evo on here has got a similar build from Norris and is getting another one soon.

be nice to see how many 1000+bhp engines are running on the street and can run normal fuel?????

its funny how many people are prepaerd to sit here and pick holes in Simons work when you have got the Nuts to go and register on the forum in the link and ask the guys the questions yourselves! Simon is a very down to earth guy and im sure would be more than happy to answer all your questions on the car!

Cheers

Chris.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Chris,
I don't think anyone is poking wholes in Simon's work. He does great work and I didn't really see anything in this thread that called that into question. The questions center around the dyno and how it reads. CCRain's thread showing the 35R from the chassis and engine dyno illustrates the difference and helps put the original engine dyno sheet in perspective.

I don't want to turn this into a UK/ US pissing match as many of these threads tend to evolve into, but there are plenty of 1000 bhp cars in the US that have held up and some are even driven regularly on the street. For cars like these, the reason they aren't daily driven is because they are fully stripped hard core race cars and not because the engines wouldn't last or it can't run on pump as you seem to imply.

Congrats to Simon on building another amazing engine!

Cheers,
Robert
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Chris,
I don't think anyone is poking wholes in Simon's work. He does great work and I didn't really see anything in this thread that called that into question. The questions center around the dyno and how it reads. CCRain's thread showing the 35R from the chassis and engine dyno illustrates the difference and helps put the original engine dyno sheet in perspective.

I don't want to turn this into a UK/ US pissing match as many of these threads tend to evolve into, but there are plenty of 1000 bhp cars in the US that have held up and some are even driven regularly on the street. For cars like these, the reason they aren't daily driven is because they are fully stripped hard core race cars and not because the engines wouldn't last or it can't run on pump as you seem to imply.

Cheers,
Robert
+1
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Chris,

Cheers,
Robert
sorry Rob,

i must admit i got a bit pissed with everyone seeming to be picking holes in his work.

one question, what the max air flow of the GT42RS??? i have heard around 1000bhp pos 1100bhp. now let say to tuners are both totally MAXING out the blowers. what power would they both be making???? with similar specs they should be making around the same power. so when one dynos at 1000++WBHP (thats around 1250bhp crank with 20% drive train losses) and the other dynos at 1000bhp CRANK there is something not right! to say that an engine is capable of making more power than the trubo can flow dosen't ring true.

now im not having a go here. we all know that dyno to dyno (of the same type) will give differant results let alown trying to compare a chassis dyno to a engine dyno.

cheers

Chris.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Honestly Chris, I don't think anyone is questioning Simon's work. I reread the entire thread and the only questions seem to be around the dyno. Again, Simon is very recognized here in the US as being the man when it comes to maximizing the 4G63. I think he's equal to the top tuners in the US and Japan and I would guess most on here would agree.

I have no idea the difference between Simon's engine dyno and a chassis dyno except what is posted on here showing the 35R car. My personal opinion is that the losses are not a steady percentage. As I posted above, it's hard for me to imagine the roughly 20% shown in the 35R graphs from Simon's chassis dyno to a Dyno Dynamics would carry for the 1100 hp car, but that's only my opinion. What would this car dyno on a DD or DJ? No way to really answer that until it happens, but I'm sure it would be up there with some of the highest whp cars around.

I can't answer the question about air flow ratings except to point out that it's not at all uncommon for turbos to outflow their ratings, especially on a very efficient engine. The 35R is the best example of this because you see many cars running 600+ whp on a turbo that should be limited to about 650 bhp. In fact, there are a few 700+ whp cars running a 35R which you wouldn't think possible looking at the flow ratings from Garrett.

Again, kudos to Simon for building a BADA55 car!

Cheers,
Robert
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly Chris, I don't think anyone is questioning Simon's work. I reread the entire thread and the only questions seem to be around the dyno. Again, Simon is very recognized here in the US as being the man when it comes to maximizing the 4G63. I think he's equal to the top tuners in the US and Japan and I would guess most on here would agree.

I have no idea the difference between Simon's engine dyno and a chassis dyno except what is posted on here showing the 35R car. My personal opinion is that the losses are not a steady percentage. As I posted above, it's hard for me to imagine the roughly 20% shown in the 35R graphs from Simon's chassis dyno to a Dyno Dynamics would carry for the 1100 hp car, but that's only my opinion. What would this car dyno on a DD or DJ? No way to really answer that until it happens, but I'm sure it would be up there with some of the highest whp cars around.

I can't answer the question about air flow ratings except to point out that it's not at all uncommon for turbos to outflow their ratings, especially on a very efficient engine. The 35R is the best example of this because you see many cars running 600+ whp on a turbo that should be limited to about 650 bhp. In fact, there are a few 700+ whp cars running a 35R which you wouldn't think possible looking at the flow ratings from Garrett.

Again, kudos to Simon for building a BADA55 car!

Cheers,
Robert

im sorry mate. must have been on one that day! lol

its a strange things though as its not just in the Evo world but in almost every car i have seen. its like the UK stuff reads lower. even on minis running almost indentical specs that make say 260WBHP in the us are only making 260bhp here in the uk! lol

we must be in some strange bhp reducing part of the world! lol

cheers agian

Chris.