Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some serious bad luck...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some serious bad luck...

A few weeks back I woke up and went out to go start my car to get to school. It turned over as I expected, being that it was 45 degrees outside, I heard a loud grinding noise and my engine stopped then turned over one more time. I immediately opened the hood and discovered that my balance belt was moving and my timing belt had stopped. I took it to my mechanic and he tore it down and found my oil pump sprocket had cracked, he tried turning it and it turned sometimes and not others. He tore off the oil pump side case and found out what had happened. There is an oil syphon from the oil pan into the oil pump (which is essentially two gears that mesh together with close tolerances to the case, which pumps the oil), and the syphon has a screen to protect the pump from metal particles that could possibly be floating around in the pan. The screen had a pea sized hole in the center, I don't have ANY clue how that got there. A piece of metal passed through that tiny hole in that screen and jammed itself in my oil pump upon start-up. It was also the reason for the broken oil pump sprocket, breaking it with the force of the engine stopping from that particle. I bought the entire new oil pump side case, syphon, all gaskets, and new oil pump sprocket. The car was put back together, and turned over by hand, seemed fine, he (my mechanic), tried starting it, it got to the point where it was about to start, and the engine stopped completely. The lifters are hydraulic and once they build up enough pressure they go down farther, this is why he didn't recognize the problem when turning it over by hand. One of my valves was damaged during the initial start-up in my driveway. The valve broke off and jammed itself sideways between the head and my piston. I've been without my car for two months already. My head is at the machine shop and I'm awaiting the prognosis on that. Hopefully they can salvage it, but, I'm not optimistic. Check those oil syphon line screens! Anyone have a head they are looking to sell? I'm looking around, just incase.
If you're having problems, somebody has always got it worse. Thank you, "Evo Part-Outs" section, you make me feel better..
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, i honestly feel bad for ya. good luck!!!
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear that...i have a head that i can sell..but it would cost you an arm and a leg to ship it to you..believe me..

i would go with a buschur racing head just for the f*&ck of it..
is your car modified anyway?
goodluck..
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

ooh and how much millage does your evo have on it.?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

yikes!
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is really weird.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:52 PM
Account Disabled

damn man really sorry to here that.what mods you running?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:31 PM

It's the Evo VIII has 23,*** on it.

Here's a power related mods list for the car;

HKS GT3037 Turbo kit set up on lowboost level, 22psi making 417awhp, 333tq on 92 octane, Made 526whp running race fuel at 30psi!
AEM Standalone tuned by tuning technologies
AEM wideband
Defi Boost guage
HKS 3" down pipe, testpipe, 20th ann hi-ann Hi-power exhaust
Fynetune custom shortram intake
Did have Ferrera Valves and retainers
Ported and polished head
HKS 280 Cams
ARP Headstuds
HKS Adj cam gears, HKS kevlar Timing belt
HKS T-0 turbo Timer
HKS Twin Power Dli II
HKS R-Type FMIC
HKS SSQV V2/hardpipe BOV
Snow Performance Meth Kit w/ light and 150 psi pump
Greddy 1020cc injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
ACT Six puck springless clutch

dxbevo9: I should look into the buschur racing head. Have you heard anything good?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

what exactly caused the head to get screwed up? (newb)
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:50 PM

felickz: what exactly caused the head to get screwed up?
When that piece of metal got caught up in my oil pump in stopped everything so abruptly it broke the gear that runs the oil pump and stripped the teeth off of the timing belt. It turned over a few times after the initial stall. The bottom end will crank over without the timing belt, as it is connected more directly to the starter. The top end, however, did not rotate in sync with the crank of the bottom end because of the fact that my timing belt was not moving. A valve remained down far enough in the cylinder to get smacked by a piston on it's upward motion. That valve was either bent or broken off at that point. Then, my mechanic put everything back together, and attempted to start the engine, the previously jammed valve either broke off or got caught on it's side between a part of the head and my piston. Which, by the way has a gash in it about the size of the machining on it for the valves. Hopefully it won't be a problem.. I just got word that the aluminum head itself didn't get damaged, but it will of course need new valves, retainers, springs, etc..