Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trouble Removing Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think often times if you are having a hard time getting the filter off, it probably means you overtightened it when you were installing it.

On several occasions my little bro had to bail me out of this using the belt and wrench method, and I got yelled at, not to overtighten the oil filter....

after getting yelled at on several occasions I just hand tighten the filter till it kinda doesnt want to turn anymore then I give it a 1/3 more turn with a wrench to finish it off...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're using the metal band type oil filter remover wrench, you can make it grab much better by cutting a piece of old timing belt or similar and using it inside the metal band. It grips enough to take nearly anything off...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
If you're using the metal band type oil filter remover wrench, you can make it grab much better by cutting a piece of old timing belt or similar and using it inside the metal band. It grips enough to take nearly anything off...
yeah thats what i bought but with those, you need room to get it to lock in place. on my car where there is that air guide for the brakes, there just isnt room. the only option is that cap wrench