Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo VI TME burned

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question evo VI TME burned

Hi everybody!!
I had a TME RS2 with conrods, Ralliart CPU, Ralliart Air suction kit, intercooler piping kit, Ralliart thermostat, HKS blow off valve(SSQV) and HKS Hypermuffler. In other words all the parts (and more) that were fitted on the Ralliart Extreme. The car was always running on Superplus Unleaded (98RON) and Silkolene ProBoost (octane booster). In the begining it run on 1.6 bar and 7 months later i managed to fit a EGT. The exhaust temperature was extremely high (1050-1100 degrees). That was because the air/fuel ratio was propably too poor. So I replaced the Ralliart CPU with the AUTRONIC and the fuel pump with a bigger one.
The Autronic had ALS (antilag system) and 2 settings for overboost. The first was 0.7bar and the second 1.48bar. One thing nobody told me to do was to change the gas "pipes" with aeroquip ones. So suddenly while driving at about 140km with no throttle (no boost), the engine stopped and at the same time an explosion took place in the engine compartment. And the car was totally burned. Aftewards, I searched the debris and found out that the turbo was unharmed, so was the intercooler and lowest part of the engine. The fire probably began from the intake. The worst part is that the engine compartment and especially all aluminium parts on the driver's side have melted. Anyway, the car was insured, I have already taken the money and I bought the "uglyface" VII...
Does anybody know, WHY????????????????????????????

P.S. - I thing that this was the first EVO on fire, ever in the world.
I am at your disposal for any technical information and if you want to see what was my car like and what I had fitted on it look at Jerry Flint's page on the web. www.jerryflint.net and check out Mike's RS2
Old Apr 20, 2002, 02:42 AM

Danny

Yours isn't the only 6 to have an engine fire. I have seen 1 in the UK.

Regarding yours, I suspect that when the engine stopped, the ECU didn't and the spark caused combustion in the inlet manifold thru an open valve. This would have blown the top of the engine and there would be fuel going everywhere and the rest you know. This is only a guess and might be total BS, but I don't think so
Old Apr 21, 2002, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with the ECU itself unless something on it failed badly. I would say it was bad mapping of the ECU making the engine malfunction in some sort of way... could be anything, maybe even a built up failure that started because you ran too high exhaust temps because of the ECU...
Old Apr 21, 2002, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the composition and any warnings on the octane booster that you were using.

If it contained a lot of toluene (which most do) then if you overdose with octane booster, the large amount of toluene can eat away at the rubber fuel hoses and cause them to split. This may have been a cause but like everyone else is saying, there are a number of other possible causes.

Andy