Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

*sigh* flooded engine

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy *sigh* flooded engine

So on Friday of last week there was a rather turbulent storm which left quite a bit of rain. I was driving and did not think the "puddle" was all that deep since it was so long and wide, y'know surface water. anyways the "puddle" was about 6 car length long and covered my whole half of the road. drove through it and the car died on me about 2/3 of the way through. After an hour of draining, the water still covered to the top of my toes on my shoes. at full height I assume it would have been at least ankle high.

After I had it towed home I pulled the plugs and they were all wet. looked inside the cylinders and they were full of water, especially cylinder 2. pulled off the Intercooler and pipes to drain them. I didn't bother to pump/drain the cylinders since I assumed the insurance company/auto shop would want to look at it...?

first off, how in the hell did it suck up ANY water, let alone d@mn near 2 liters worth?!?! I don't have the undertray installed but I mean the frickin intake is way up by the headlight! not only that but it has to travel through all that intercooler piping!! What the hell?!?!!? has this happened to anybody else?

second, was it a bad idea to leave the water inside the cylinders? is it going to rust the cylinders up?

What about the turbo? Could the turbo be damaged from this at all?

I don't think the interior got wet...I don't know...I was too bummed to even check that stuff. it's been at mitsu the whole week and I've been stressing this whole time
Old May 1, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
if you actually did hydrolock your car then your looking at a new engine, however i dont see how you could do that in only ankle deep water
Old May 1, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

who knows it may have been deeper than ankle deep but exactly my point! how the hell did it do that?!?!

sorry, finally venting after a week...
Old May 1, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you sucked water in through the intake. do you have a cone filter?
Old May 1, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, cone filter, but it's so high up there by the headlights, I wouldn't think it could suck up any water
Old May 1, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justboosted02
if you actually did hydrolock your car then your looking at a new engine, however i dont see how you could do that in only ankle deep water
It could be good if he was going slow like near idle but he is going to have to drain that oil just to be sure there isn't water in it. The turbo would likely be fine those things are pretty stout. The water probably damed up against the opening on the driver side of the front bumper. I'm talking about the hole on the opposite side of the vent to the oil cooler.

Get the water out of those cylinders bro its not that hard just pull all the plugs and the fuel pump relay then turn it over. A few cranking cycles should get most of the water out.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 05:25 PM

need help asap

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
It could be good if he was going slow like near idle but he is going to have to drain that oil just to be sure there isn't water in it. The turbo would likely be fine those things are pretty stout. The water probably damed up against the opening on the driver side of the front bumper. I'm talking about the hole on the opposite side of the vent to the oil cooler.

Get the water out of those cylinders bro its not that hard just pull all the plugs and the fuel pump relay then turn it over. A few cranking cycles should get most of the water out.
i need a how to on that please!!!