Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another flutter issue

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008 | 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Another flutter issue

I have done a search on flutter/compressor surge and, leaky bovs and have not really found the answer besides buy a new bov. So i bought a GFB Stealth BOV, and installed it. Nothing but flutter, all the time in every gear, WOT and, partial throttle. So i removed it, and it the process of putting my stock one back on i accidently broke the vacuum hose nipple off the bov. Now i have to use the GFB one. If a have it anymore than 10% VTA it flutters untill you cant hear it anymore, basically forever it seems like. If i have it completely on recirc it does it like 2-5 times and in between shifts the exhaust sounds like i am giving it more gas in between, is that normal? I also did i boost leak test today and the bov of course was leaking through the bottom but past that i didnt hear any more. So my question is, is there anyway to satisfy the ricer in me or do i just need to buy like a jdm 1X DV?

BTW i have an 03 Evo with a HKS style intake, Invidia DP and Greddy exhaust.

Last edited by Fknfstevo; May 4, 2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 4, 2008 | 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Well i tried doing one more boost leak test now that its not so loud outside and found a leak on one of the UICP brackets. Fixed that one. Now, on my way back from picking up dinner i decided to get on it and now evertime after that including that time when the turbo starts to spool there's is a loud *** whistle coming from something but it only does it from the beginning of the turbo spooling untill the bov vents. WTF??
Old May 4, 2008 | 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

bump, nobody has any help to offer?
Old May 5, 2008 | 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Is this what you're hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUWEsqoWz8
Old May 6, 2008 | 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

BOV flutter usually means it's too stiff.

VTA isn't the best idea for a stock MAF setup, usually people are satisfied with an open cone filter and the IX metal BOV, it holds boost very well and makes plenty of noise
Old May 7, 2008 | 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Synapse
Is this what you're hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUWEsqoWz8
Thx..Thats exactly what i am hearing I'm gonna do a search for it real quick if there is not any info on how to fix it i'm open for ideas. In the video is that the synapse bov/dv?

I actually hate this mushroom of an intake i wanna get like the fujita setup or injen perhaps....or maybe a BR.

Last edited by Fknfstevo; May 7, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 7, 2008 | 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shameless Tuning
BOV flutter usually means it's too stiff.

VTA isn't the best idea for a stock MAF setup, usually people are satisfied with an open cone filter and the IX metal BOV, it holds boost very well and makes plenty of noise
If i have the spring any looser i would be using i spring from a pen.

THX for the replies...
Old May 23, 2008 | 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I assume you have tried different spring preload settings? ie, does it flutter with the spring both hard and soft? Does it flutter under high boost or just low boost venting?
Old May 23, 2008 | 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

i vote for the IX metal bov... holds boost and paired with a cone filter you'll be hearing it loud and clear and with zero flutter.
Old May 23, 2008 | 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

^^ Agreed.
Old Jun 21, 2008 | 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar
i vote for the IX metal bov... holds boost and paired with a cone filter you'll be hearing it loud and clear and with zero flutter.
Not true... I put in the ix mr dv and with my cone filter I have real bad flutter noise. I still build and hold boost just fine. I just replaced the mr dv with the aps twin vent and still have flutter.