Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

s3's on a stock turbo 9

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s3's on a stock turbo 9

Has anyone ran this combination? I would be interested to see what it would put down on a dyno (powerband wise). The cosworth M3's on a stock turbo were very impressive and are starting to lead me to think that a 9 cant be overcammed.
Old May 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just purchased the cossi m3's and just waiting for some extra cash for the stg 3 head. i dont think u gonna find anyone on here running that setup and ur probably only gonna get responses from people saying run the s1 or s2. blah blah blah. i say u should just do it and post up the results
Old May 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06ravenmr
i just purchased the cossi m3's and just waiting for some extra cash for the stg 3 head. i dont think u gonna find anyone on here running that setup and ur probably only gonna get responses from people saying run the s1 or s2. blah blah blah. i say u should just do it and post up the results
I do not have a 9 with a stock turbo at my disposal right now or i would.

Have you had a chance to take a look at this thread? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=340461

I personally was not expecting the powerband to look this great, and it is what has made me start to think about with the s3's would do.

Everyone said 8 months ago that you couldn't use s'2s on a stock turbo
Old May 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'd ask GSC directly. If they can't convince you it's more cam than a 9 stock turbo needs, get them and be happy with the results.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
I do not have a 9 with a stock turbo at my disposal right now or i would.

Have you had a chance to take a look at this thread? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=340461

I personally was not expecting the powerband to look this great, and it is what has made me start to think about with the s3's would do.

Everyone said 8 months ago that you couldn't use s'2s on a stock turbo
thanks for the link to that thread. now i know basically what to expect from the m3's.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06ravenmr
thanks for the link to that thread. now i know basically what to expect from the m3's.

There are also a few problems with that car that we have been figuring out as of late, so i would not be surprised to see more power out of his setup.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

"These cams are ment for the 1000whp+ to take advantage of a very large turbo. these are NOT suggested for anyone running smaller than the GT42R and should not even be considered!"

There's your answer straight from the source. S3's are more agressive than M3's BTW...
Old May 6, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

There are also a few problems with that car that we have been figuring out as of late, so i would not be surprised to see more power out of his setup.
i would like to see the tq on the car be a lot higher tho.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boltz.
"These cams are ment for the 1000whp+ to take advantage of a very large turbo. these are NOT suggested for anyone running smaller than the GT42R and should not even be considered!"

There's your answer straight from the source. S3's are more agressive than M3's BTW...
I understand everything that you are saying. The s2's were also said that they should not be on a stock turbo also. I am not saying that they will make amazing power but i am interested to see what they would put out.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
GSC is underrating the potential of the cams. There has already been more than one thread about running S2's on a stock turbo, both in the VIII and the IX and no one has loss power. Lucas runs S2s in his motor on a stock turbo and made 506whp and runs 127 in the 1/4 so far.

I run the S2s in my IX and not only do the idle fine, they pull VERY hard with the Green.
Old May 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S2's seem to work good but S3's would be a waste. Pauls setup is fine for S3's but stock turbo? Even Chris car is really low on torque with M3's. S2's are on the aggressive side for stock turbo but they seem to work alright but going bigger I bet would lose alot of spool and torque. It would be like driving a big turbo car with a small turbo.
Old May 6, 2008, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

speculation is all well and good, but numbers speak volumes
Old May 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay....how extreme stock turbo setup are you talking. Lucas make plenty of power with S2's. His is probably about extreme as it gets. Paul makes almost 1100whp with a GT45...Chris car is down over 30ft lbs of torque with M3's. S3 would be overkill. I mean if one if prepared to drop S3's in why stay with a stock turbo?. In all actuality I think you may loose power. The stock turbo can flow only so many lbs and if it can't keep up it will taper worse. But hey who knows maybe they will do 400whp with 280ft lbs.

It would be interesting to see if indeed the IX can be overcammed and when it looses power. Might be a good test.

Last edited by dbsears; May 6, 2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

speculation is all well and good, but numbers speak volumes

agreed...... Call GSC, ask their opinion. They make the cams, they should know. Bigger isn't always better.

Sorta like those gay shorts that come down to your ankles and show off your butt crack. All show, no go. Cams are similar.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
Okay....how extreme stock turbo setup are you talking. Lucas make plenty of power with S2's. His is probably about extreme as it gets. Paul makes almost 1100whp with a GT45...Chris car is down over 30ft lbs of torque with M3's. S3 would be overkill. I mean if one if prepared to drop S3's in why stay with a stock turbo?. In all actuality I think you may loose power. The stock turbo can flow only so many lbs and if it can't keep up it will taper worse. But hey who knows maybe they will do 400whp with 280ft lbs.

It would be interesting to see if indeed the IX can be overcammed and when it looses power. Might be a good test.
Okay...NO. I am also on S2s and I do not have a very "extrem" build in my opinion.

Chris' car is not "down" 30 ft lbs. His car is still 30 ft lbs up from where it was last dyno because of the bigger cams. The problem with that car is not cams, its the WG is not tight enough and probably wasnt tight enough last time either (preload). With the MBC all the way to max to still only made 24-25psi. The car could take an easy 26psi spike and pick up most of the torque its "down". It might even be able to handle a little more in fact.

The Kelfords C cams or the GSC S3 arent substantially bigger (advertised at 280's) for the IX like they are the VIII. Alot of cam tech can be applied from domestic engine theory directly to what we are dealing with.

Quick Reply: s3's on a stock turbo 9