Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New GT35 Killer Turbo - GT850R

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
So long as you don't mind answering a few questions that will enable me to get it seamlessly into my configuration, I'll take one.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

what turbinehousing is used for the 35R in the test?
Old May 8, 2008, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
I dont think any of you HTA guys have anthing to worry about.

Also, clipped P-Trim? I have heard from many turbo gurus that a satge 5 and/or T350 T3 Turbine wheel will out flow a P-Trim. Its truly amazing what a 1970's style wheel can do these days! Nice work!
no no, the G37R uses a version of the P-trim. This turbo uses a new Garrett GT based exhaust wheel.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I usually jump on the newest thing out, but I don't think I will be jumping on this till there is absolute proof that this will make more power than the HTA. So far this spools a little later than the standard 35R but makes more power than the 67mm. The HTA spools up faster than the standard 35R and still makes as much power as the 67mm. So granted this new turbo will make more power than both but here is the question, how much more power than the HTA and is it so much more that it will be worth going to a turbo not just laggier than the HTA but laggier than the turbo that has been proven to out spool and out power "standard 35R"

To leave the HTA for this turbo I'm hoping to see a 40-60whp increase over the HTA 35R..... Test away guys!!!

Thanks Martin for all the testing, keep up the good work!
Old May 8, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sspaladin28
Of course, right after I order my hta35r. Damn
why damn?
compare it with the HTA graph...(red)
Old May 8, 2008, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
I usually jump on the newest thing out, but I don't think I will be jumping on this till there is absolute proof that this will make more power than the HTA. So far this spools a little later than the standard 35R but makes more power than the 67mm. The HTA spools up faster than the standard 35R and still makes as much power as the 67mm. So granted this new turbo will make more power than both but here is the question, how much more power than the HTA and is it so much more that it will be worth going to a turbo not just laggier than the HTA but laggier than the turbo that has been proven to out spool and out power "standard 35R"

To leave the HTA for this turbo I'm hoping to see a 40-60whp increase over the HTA 35R..... Test away guys!!!

Thanks Martin for all the testing, keep up the good work!
I actually didn't post results on the FP 35HTA, because I didn't back to back test it. When I tested the FP35HTA I had different cams int he car so it would not be fair to compare. Although like Jake posted, the HTA did pick up about 28whp over the std. 35R. Based on my testing the GT850R will out power the 35HTA but will spool slower.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well going by Tial Sport's graph, I think I'm staying with the HTA, but the new garrett is a way better turbo for the GT-37R guys

I agree with alot of other replies to this, I want to see an HTA version out, that would raise my eyebrow a little. Hopefully FP steps in!

EDIT.... Tial Sport, is the graph you posted from a stroker or a 2.0l? It looks like a stroker graph, and if so thats an unfair comparison and I retract my previous statement, now if its a 2.0 than holy ****!!!!

Last edited by Migsubishi; May 8, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Martin@AMS
I actually didn't post results on the FP 35HTA, because I didn't back to back test it. When I tested the FP35HTA I had different cams int he car so it would not be fair to compare. Although like Jake posted, the HTA did pick up about 28whp over the std. 35R. Based on my testing the GT850R will out power the 35HTA but will spool slower.
Got ya, and very true but I guess what I'm looking for is to know if it makes that much more power than the HTA to offset the lag you get with it to make it a worth while switch!!!

I can't wait to see your next few tests, I will stay tuned and thanks again
Old May 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

looks promising.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
for those asking, tests look like they were performed on Martin's white car, at 30 psi of boost. Or at least the 35R graph looks very similar to the cam testing thread they performed at 30 psi of boost on the white car.
The huge cam test that Martin is doing for Turbo Magazine was performed at 22 psi of boost
Old May 8, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Well going by Tial Sport's graph, I think I'm staying with the HTA, but the new garrett is a way better turbo for the GT-37R guys

I agree with alot of other replies to this, I want to see an HTA version out, that would raise my eyebrow a little. Hopefully FP steps in!

EDIT.... Tial Sport, is the graph you posted from a stroker or a 2.0l? It looks like a stroker graph, and if so thats an unfair comparison and I retract my previous statement, now if its a 2.0 than holy ****!!!!
i took it from the AMS test thread
Old May 8, 2008, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

If you read the top of the graph, that is a test on my car. It's the same car as I tested the GT850R, 37R, and 35R on, but at the time it had different camshafts in it. It's a built 2.0L. The head that is on my motor is an old head we had laying around and I'm not even sure who ported it, which in my opinion is holding my car back. I usually see quite a bit more power out of the setup at the higher boost levels.

HTA version? The FP HTA G35 & GT37's series are std. Garrett style turbo's with FP's billet compressor wheels. HTA is the name that FP gave to their line of billet compressor wheel technology turbos. This new turbo, GT850R has it's own version of a billet compressor wheel made by someone else. Again, HTA is just FP's nomenclature for their own line of turbo's, it really doesn't make sense to say take this turbo and make an HTA out of it. Sorry not trying to be rude but I want to clarify this point. It would be like Chevy having a Corvette and Corvette Z06, then saying take the Porsche and make it a Z06.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

so what kind of price are we looking at or is it to early to tell.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Martin@AMS
This new turbo, GT850R has it's own version of a billet compressor wheel made by someone else.
Borg Warner wheel?

S366 Compressor wheel mated to a 35R?

To me, if this turbo spools slightly slower than a standard 35R, then a more fair comparison would be comparing it to the HTA88 instead of the HTA35R which spools faster than a standard 35R. At that point you'd likely have similar spool characteristics but would be able to see which compressor truly trumped the other.

Last edited by 16g-95gsx; May 8, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Is this a Garrett CHRA?

Quick Reply: New GT35 Killer Turbo - GT850R